Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Just a pure fact of my life that is so annoying. I have at least two friend's, and two family members who switched from iPhones to WP8 phones based on my recommendations.

Now, ever since all they do is complain to me non stop about it all the time. They complain about the lack of apps, complain about missing Features the iPhone has, yada yadda yadda. One of them is even convinced that windows 8 phone has a bug that automatically turns the phone volume down. I know its just them accidentally holding the volume down button on their nokia 820 when they are on the phone....

Its so annoying because I love my WP8 phone and I'm sick listening to their crap and having to defend it constantly.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Yeah...isn't it irritating defending a platform against uninformed people?
    Tell them to go back to what suits them. Ppl say WP is for kids and a kids toy but yet grown ppl can't even figure out how to work a toy. Very disappointing.
    Thanked by:
  4. tgp

Global Posts
    2,561 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runamuck83 View Post
    Just a pure fact of my life that is so annoying. I have at least two friend's, and two family members who switched from iPhones to WP8 phones based on my recommendations.

Now, ever since all they do is complain to me non stop about it all the time. They complain about the lack of apps, complain about missing Features the iPhone has, yada yadda yadda. One of them is even convinced that windows 8 phone has a bug that automatically turns the phone volume down. I know its just them accidentally holding the volume down button on their nokia 820 when they are on the phone....

Its so annoying because I love my WP8 phone and I'm sick listening to their crap and having to defend it constantly.

No, because I generally don't recommend any OS to anyone, for this very reason. The person who did the recommending is by default responsible for any and all problems! I use Android, iPhone, and WP, and I like all of them (see my signature). I do have my preferences of course, but all 3 have their strengths and weaknesses. I would be especially hesitant to recommend WP due to the fact that it is newer and less mature than Android & iOS. If someone is coming from a feature phone and this is their first smartphone, they may not see WP's shortcomings. Someone switching from Android or iOS will certainly notice the things you mentioned.

If someone asks me for advice, I will sometimes make a recommendation after thoroughly grilling them on their use & requirements. Since I use all 3 OS's I am quite familiar with them.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I don't care what other people use, i care about what I use.
    Thanked by:

Me and my mom (and hopefully my brother) are planning on switching to WPs in a few weeks (keeps getting delayed). However, every time I try to convince my stepdad it's: "but android has apps! I cannot live without my precious apps!"

Just use whatever you like, let them choose/go back to whatever platform they please if they miss it so much. Don't let their attacks get you down, WP is a great platform, I agree with you. Unbridled criticism of something you like and stand behind is irritating as heck, trust me, I know ("But Windoze has Virszes1111!!!1" "Well maybe that wouldn't be such a problem for you if you stopped downloading every executable you see.").

Global Posts
    1,356 Global Posts
    This is why I don't recommend WP8 to people, I prefer they use it and test it before making a decision. In the end most people I know prefer the icon iPhone layout vs the windows layout.
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2

I have the opposite experience. Every one I've recommended it to love it.
    jmshub, snowmutt and xandros9 like this.

I've recommended it but few switch. I give them them the good and bad before switching.

WP is bedt for people that have never had a smart phone. For others the lack of apps and missing features makes it seem like an inferior phone and who can blame them. It's hard to recommend this phone to anyone except the die hard as there's better alternatives out there.
    bijendra likes this.

I'm the "tech guy" at work. I like to recommend the phones based on what they use on theirs. I watch them and then show them how it works on WP8. They almost always love it.

Just recently started working very near a T-Mo kiosk, I tell everyone about the 521, show my 8X how cool it is. The rep got one from the job, says she'd never have thought of getting a Windows phone before, but she LOVES it. She can't keep enough of them always selling out..
    From the CO and my 8X

Global Posts
    633 Global Posts
    If some one told me to buy an iPhone I would point out what it didn't do and what WP did better. Human nature my friend.
    qudahamohammad likes this.
    \o/ Nokia and Windows Phone forever \o/

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    No, because I generally don't recommend any OS to anyone, for this very reason. The person who did the recommending is by default responsible for any and all problems! I use Android, iPhone, and WP, and I like all of them (see my signature). I do have my preferences of course, but all 3 have their strengths and weaknesses. I would be especially hesitant to recommend WP due to the fact that it is newer and less mature than Android & iOS. If someone is coming from a feature phone and this is their first smartphone, they may not see WP's shortcomings. Someone switching from Android or iOS will certainly notice the things you mentioned.

If someone asks me for advice, I will sometimes make a recommendation after thoroughly grilling them on their use & requirements. Since I use all 3 OS's I am quite familiar with them.
    This is exactly how I am. I have a device for each of the three mobile OS options you listed and if someone asks me which they use I ask them a million and one questions so I can recommend the OS that'll suit their needs best, not the one I prefer to use.
    cckgz4 and Laura Knotek like this.

Lets say your friend recommended the iPhone and lets say you ditched your WP8 phone (that you said you love) and got an iPhone and you began noticing many good things WP8 offered, missing on iOS. What would you do? Would you sing praises for iOS?
    biboyflip, maxnicks and chezm like this.

Just remember, the grass always looks greener..

But mostly, haters gotta hate!!
    From the CO and my 8X
    Jazmac likes this.

I'm a multi is user. Lumia928 and note 2. I would never recommend one over the other. But after letting them mess around with each almost all go with android.my 928 is my personal phone and I love it. But unfortunately small features and certain apps that should be available OFFICIALLY are deal breakers for the majority. I see that most user here have no need for certain things. (notification, access to user files) it irritates me for people to act like I just don't know how to use the phone or this is a troll post.
    Thanked by:
    JonnieLasVegas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Razdek View Post
    WP is bedt for people that have never had a smart phone. For others the lack of apps and missing features makes it seem like an inferior phone and who can blame them. It's hard to recommend this phone to anyone except the die hard as there's better alternatives out there.
    I call bunk on that.

I've owned an android. A so called "smart phone"

I prefer a Windows Phone 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Functionality over hype works best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by runamuck83 View Post

Same thing here on WP Central as well. Constant whining about 'lack of features' and no updates.
    Just ignore it all and enjoy your phone. It works if you use it properly,as you've found. Cheers.....

Global Posts
    784 Global Posts
    I recommend both OSes with no bias (Sorry never recommended anyone WP8 anytime until now)

However , I do recommended Lumia 520 , but that's it.That's the only device I recommend but not because of OS , its because of price and hardware.

Recommendation of OS is always based on their uses.First question I ask them is "What are the three most important things you want in a phone ?" , I get so many answers.Based on that I recommend models/OS etc. , its always hard to recommend WP.

Why ? because If something's wrong they must come to me because nobody uses WP.Lot of store people also don't know anything about WP.
    vish2801 likes this.

Global Posts
    633 Global Posts
    Ya don't start the android is better than crap. Not true so don't start. You play with a phone for five minutes and realize all these apps and functionality that android has. BS. I have friends that have SG3s and notes, they're actually impressed with my 920. I've sold some lower end lumias because low end androids (HTC, ss, etc...) are such junk because of the OS. People cant wait to move on even with all this functionality and apps that you speak of. Ridiculous. There isn't one better than the other now days, there's just different.
    aximtreo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by christenmartin View Post
    ya don't start the android is better than crap. Not true so don't start. You play with a phone for five minutes and realize all these apps and functionality that android has. Bs. I have friends that have sg3s and notes, they're actually impressed with my 920. I've sold some lower end lumias because low end androids (htc, ss, etc...) are such junk because of the os. People cant wait to move on even with all this functionality and apps that you speak of. Ridiculous. There isn't one better than the other now days, there's just different.
    8x 10000
    From the CO and my 8X

I've been a loyal Windows Phone user now since the Lumia 900. Since then I've owned the Lumia 920, Lumia 720, HTC 8X, and now the Lumia 1020 and I love each one better than the last :-) Fortunately I have a lot of lines on my account and I'm always stealing upgrades. Although I bought the 720 off eBay since it's not available in the US.

Anyway - my family and friends who saw me now ditching iPhones to go to Windows Phones wondered what was up and they asked me why. I told them and they seemed like they were interested in the phone and they all said "When my renewal is up, I'm getting one."

Well, I guess I shouldn't have said $h!t to them because now all they do is ***** to me about it.

Personally, I think the iPhone is lame/old/boring and Windows Phone is alive and refreshing. The biggest thing they always nag me about is that "so and so has this app, but of course I can't get it!" That's an exact quote I heard. I point out the alternatives 3rd-party apps but then they ***** and moan about how it's not free (like on iPhone). That's probably the one I hear the most.

The other one I always hear is that they keyboard isn't as good and they can't type on it - which I totally disagree with because I type faster and more accurate on my WP8 phone than I ever did on my iPhone. It just took some time to adapt.

Anyway, I don't know. It just annoys me. It's like someone telling me my kid is a retard or something when I know he's really a genius haha

Global Posts
    633 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent-P View Post
    This is exactly how I am. I have a device for each of the three mobile OS options you listed and if someone asks me which they use I ask them a million and one questions so I can recommend the OS that'll suit their needs best, not the one I prefer to use.
    totally agree. Mother in law needed a new phone. Simple simple simple. IPhone was best choice because it is simple. She had an HTC android and it didn't work worth crap and confused her 90% of the time. IPhone is a good old person phone. My nephew had a low end android piece of crap, he pick up a 520 and friggin loves it. I have had the exact opposite reaction from the people I recommend WP to from the OP. People love it.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast