XBox cloud music missing...

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure this is answered somewhere but finding the answer would be like finding a needle in a stack of needles, what with all the Xbox Music threads WPC has seen since the release of WP8. :)

So, on my laptop I run Windows 8. I synced a bunch of my music to the cloud using Xbox Music's music in the cloud option. All the music shows up on my laptop as in the cloud. I open Xbox Music on my Surface RT and all the music shows up there as in the cloud and plays well. On my Lumia, however, the only music that shows up are those tracks which I purchased from the Zune Marketplace long ago; none of my other music-in-the-cloud shows up, even though it shows up on my other Windows 8 devices.

Is this par for the course or am I doing something wrong? Did I miss a setting somewhere?

Thanks!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link, but no, that thread really doesn't address my question. I'm not asking about syncing music to my WP8 device, I'm asking about music already in my Xbox Music cloud (which shows up on my desktop and Surface RT as Xbox cloud music) not showing up on my WP8 device.

And this is two WP8 devices where it won't show up: both brand new, a 520 and a 920.

Is anyone else having a similar problem, where Xbox music-in-the-cloud shows up on non-WP devices but won't show up on a WP8 device?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link, but no, that thread really doesn't address my question. I'm not asking about syncing music to my WP8 device, I'm asking about music already in my Xbox Music cloud (which shows up on my desktop and Surface RT as Xbox cloud music) not showing up on my WP8 device.

And this is two WP8 devices where it won't show up: both brand new, a 520 and a 920.

Is anyone else having a similar problem, where Xbox music-in-the-cloud shows up on non-WP devices but won't show up on a WP8 device?

I had an issue where a playlist I created on the web app worked fine in the Windows 8 app. Unfortunately, the playlist showed up on my 920 but had non of the songs listed. WP8 doesn't seem to like to sync well with the other forms of Xbox Music.

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Having the same issue. It was working a few months ago but I decided to turn off xbox cloud music shortly afterwards. Then just the other day I wanted to have it back so I turned it on but still hasn't synced yet. Works fine on Windows 8 and I just installed Windows 8.1 preview on a virtual machine and it worked perfectly there too. Don't understand why it isn't working.

I'm HTC 8X with GDR2 btw. Do you have GDR2 installed?

CDiS99

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Excuse me if this is a redundant/naive question, but do you have an XBox Music Pass?

THe music will only show up on your WP8 device if you have a subscription to XBox Music.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Excuse me if this is a redundant/naive question, but do you have an XBox Music Pass?

Nope!

I have bought music from the Xbox Music Store without the pass, however, and that music does show up. On my phone, tablet, and desktop. So I don't think a pass is a requirement to having cloud music on my phone. Unless you were saying that if I had a pass, all the cloud music showing up on my desktop and tablet would then show up on my phone?

CDiS99

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Nope!

I have bought music from the Xbox Music Store without the pass, however, and that music does show up. On my phone, tablet, and desktop. So I don't think a pass is a requirement to having cloud music on my phone. Unless you were saying that if I had a pass, all the cloud music showing up on my desktop and tablet would then show up on my phone?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Obviously any music you purchase directly from the store will be on your device (as well as any music you add locally; i.e. plug it into your computer and drop files into music folder.)

However, the only way to access your cloud music on your phone is if you have the Music Pass, I BELIEVE.

All my cloud music shows up on my RT, but since I do not have a Music Pass, none of it shows up on my 928.

western_riders_dad

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what I'm saying.

Obviously any music you purchase directly from the store will be on your device (as well as any music you add locally; i.e. plug it into your computer and drop files into music folder.)

However, the only way to access your cloud music on your phone is if you have the Music Pass, I BELIEVE.

All my cloud music shows up on my RT, but since I do not have a Music Pass, none of it shows up on my 928.

I'm still pretty new to WP8 and am also trying to figure out all the mysteries of XBox Music. To this question, though, here is what I observe on my Lumia 928. I am a long-time Zune Pass subscriber and everything I've added via subscription in my Zune software is being sync'd to my XBox Music collection on my phone, but not in XBox Music on my Win8 PC. Anything I've "purchased", though, using my song credits via Zune I do not see anywhere in XBox music, phone or PC, only in the Zune software and my Zune mp3 player.

Don't know if this necessarily helps, but...

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
CONFIRMED

You need an Xbox Music Pass to play non-Xbox purchased, Xbox Cloud music on your Windows Phone.

As mentioned above, music I'd synced to the Xbox Cloud from my laptop - which was showing up on my Surface RT - was not showing up on my 520 or 920. So I signed up for an Xbox Music Pass (30 day free trial for now, just to test) and suddenly all the music I'd synced to the Xbox Cloud that wasn't showing up on my phone, showed up on my phone.

For what it's worth, I'm not real happy with this solution. I've already bought the music, I can stream it on my laptop and my RT, but I have to spend $10/month to stream it on my phone? On top of what AT&T charges me for data in the first place?

Yeah, not happy.

But thanks, everyone, for your replies and comments.

CDiS99

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, don't forget iamtim you can now download any of the cloud music and music in the store to your phone (eliminating data usage worries).

You can also download SmartDj playlist to your phone and you now have access to syncing playlist across your devices. It's a pretty sweet service imo.

Geez, I don't even have XBox Music Pass but I sound like a spokesman for it! :winktongue:

kev roc

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
OP already figured this out, but this is from the MS site...

Sync Music to the Cloud | Windows 8 Music app - Xbox.com

Frequently asked questions about syncing music to the cloud
Find answers to commonly asked questions about syncing music to the cloud from Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows Phone 8, and the Xbox 360 console.

Notes:
You can listen to your music from any of your Windows 8-based or Windows RT-based computers or devices. With an Xbox Music Pass, you can also listen to your music through your Xbox 360 console and your Windows Phone 8.

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ah that makes sense. I believe I took out a free trial a while ago and that was when my songs were synced via the cloud. It's a shame, i wish it worked like W8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb