Data Sense on unbranded phone?

Rob van Uden

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Simple question, is this possible? I've seen numerous messages about this. Some say Data Sense is carrier independent since GDR2, some don't say so...

hombreee

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Unbranded Lumia? Yes after GDR2/Amber update your Lumia will have Data Sense (but without data compression). At least in european versions od Lumias.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Unbranded Lumia? Yes after GDR2/Amber update your Lumia will have Data Sense (but without data compression).

Hate to beat the drum of carrier dependence but my unbranded HTC 8X has GDR2 on O2 (UK) and does NOT have DataSense. I have yet to get a definitive viewpoint on whether there are any devices out there that did not have DataSense prior to GDR2 and have gained it straight after their upgrade. The (small) evidence so far suggests that there are some native, unbranded GDR2 devices that have it enabled from the factory.

Why Microsoft can't just come out and tell us which carriers are now supporting it post GDR2 is beyond me, it's maddening that we're still in the dark on this. Worse still, my carrier can't tell me anything, barely knows what "GDR2" is.

Rob van Uden

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hate to beat the drum of carrier dependence but my unbranded HTC 8X has GDR2 on O2 (UK) and does NOT have DataSense. I have yet to get a definitive viewpoint on whether there are any devices out there that did not have DataSense prior to GDR2 and have gained it straight after their upgrade. The (small) evidence so far suggests that there are some native, unbranded GDR2 devices that have it enabled from the factory.

Why Microsoft can't just come out and tell us which carriers are now supporting it post GDR2 is beyond me, it's maddening that we're still in the dark on this. Worse still, my carrier can't tell me anything, barely knows what "GDR2" is.

So you think DataSense is only enabled on phones which comes with GDR2 from the factory, instead of getting an over-the-air update?

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Are we talking "Unbranded" phones from the factory? My 1020 came with GDR2 already installed, and no Datasense.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
So you think DataSense is only enabled on phones which comes with GDR2 from the factory, instead of getting an over-the-air update?

That's only my evidence so far, I'm about 2/3 ready to do a hard reset to factory defaults just to see if it enables that way.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't even WANT the data compression crap, but to make a feature that REQUIRES a carrier side implementation just to show you how much data is passing through your phone is RIDICULOUS.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I did it. I hard reset my unbranded 8X to see if DataSense would become enabled but it did not. So I reset it again but this time without the SIM card at all during the process and still no DataSense. My phone is on O2 (UK). One interesting thing to note is that even after performing a hard reset with no apps installed and no Microsoft account added, there was still 331MB of "Other" storage used up already. I'll watch how it grows over time. Now I'm going to reset it again and restore from backup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs