Identifying the phone number from which an SMS / CALL is received (or sent to)

Patricia Van Ness

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, by now it is only possible to discover the source of the last message.
And when a call is received I do not seem to see a way to understand from which number the call was made.

This is really disappointing. A button with the "source" of the text/call is needed ASAP!!!!!!

Another thing, what if I want to reply to the sender by using another number/account still belonging to him? I guess I am forced to reply to the number of the last message (unless I exit the thread and select manually from the phone book the contact I wish to use). Is it so?

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Another thing, what if I want to reply to the sender by using another number/account still belonging to him? I guess I am forced to reply to the number of the last message (unless I exit the thread and select manually from the phone book the contact I wish to use). Is it so?

In the conversation, click on the arrows at the bottom menu (on the right) and select the other number.

Don't know a solution to your first problem though.

Cheers!

P.S.: Welcome to WPCentral ;)

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If you have the contact listed with mobile and home, when you check the call history it will tell you which one they called from. You can tap on that call, it brings you to their contact and you can call the other number if you want.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Huh? Call log list all record for up to a month so does the message hub. Every entry is labeled with either name or phone number plus incoming and out going for phone calls.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to figure this out myself and I must say it is very annoying when the other person has multiple numbers. For now I just try and save the multiple numbers separately for convenience. Hopefully MS will sort this out by GDR3.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Huh? Call log list all record for up to a month so does the message hub. Every entry is labeled with either name or phone number plus incoming and out going for phone calls.

The problem is that if a person has multiple numbers under a particular contact you cannot know from which number they called (in the call log).

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. On my phone, the call log has entries like:-

"Incoming, Fri 16:20, Home"

So, I know which number was used.

thesmithiz

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
If your operator has your bill online you can go to you account and view your call detail. On my 928 it shows the person's name as I have it saved and if they have more than one phone number it will have their name and either work, home, mobile, etc...

Patricia Van Ness

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your answer.
Actually my concern is mainly referring to the nature of the income messages/calls.

There is no way to figure out which source has been used and this is a very important limitation for me.

I have several people with fb, linkedin accounts, 3 cell phones and a couple of landlines.
I want to understand which communication channel they are using in order to understand in which country they are or if they are at home or on the go.

Please urge Microsoft to put a patch on this.

Last edited:

Patricia Van Ness

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
You are kidding right?

Seems most of the people here are quite dumb.......

But just to be more precise, no i am not going to create multiple entries in my phone book for the same person. So ending up creating 6/7 or more entries (Jim mobile USA, Jim mobile China, Jim Home, Jim Work, etc.) for the same contact as a work around?!
Do not be ridicoulous

Last edited:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to figure this out myself and I must say it is very annoying when the other person has multiple numbers. For now I just try and save the multiple numbers separately for convenience. Hopefully MS will sort this out by GDR3.
The bold text made me chuckle. Basic calling/messaging functions haven't been touched for years (oh yeah, they added a sort-of draft function for texts, sorry). I don't know if they will ever do anything to it.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You are kidding right?

Seem most of the people here are quite dumb.......

But just to be more precise, no i am not going to create multiple entries in my phone book for the same person. So ending up creating 6/7 or more entries (Jim mobile USA, Jim mobile China, Jim Home, Jim Work, etc.) for the same contact as a work around?!
Do not be ridicoulous
You CAN see the information you're asking about when it comes to phone calls, which I think is what people are referring to (you lumped them together in your question) - each call is listed like this
<phone symbol> Name Nameyson
Incoming, Mon 9:15a, Work
<phone symbol> Name Nameyson
Incoming, Mon 8:30a, Mobile

for example. It shows the contact, and the type of phone number you have entered it as in their contact info.

But this information is NOT available for text (SMS), which I agree is annoying.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand either. You're not going to get messages from a landline. That leaves you with their cellphone. Does it matter if they text you from their cellphone, while they are at home? And if someone texts you from a work cellphone vs. a personal cellphone, does that matter either? Why can't you just respond to that message, regardless of which "communication channel" it came from?

Last edited:

Patricia Van Ness

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Maybe because I want to send a reply to an american number which is on in another country because my subscription does not let me text to the foreigner number? (assume I do not know where the person is staying).
Or maybe because I see a message (coming from facebook) but by the time I decide to reply the user is no longer online and I want to be sure is gonna receive my message on his cell phone.
Of course first, I need to understand where is he writing from, then I want to choose the channel for my reply.

Or the opposite, I want to open the thread and reply to the last message sent through facebook (or a given mobile) but this message is within the thread. How can I know which message is which?

Clear?

p.s. for your info it is also possible to text from landlines

I'm not sure I understand either. You're not going to get messages from a landline. That leaves you with their cellphone. Does it matter if they text you from their cellphone, while they are at home? And if someone texts you from a work cellphone vs. a personal cellphone, does that matter either? Why can you just respond to that message, regardless of which "communication channel" it came from?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
A little bit. I still don't understand why you can't just respond via the method in which you get a message. You get a message from Facebook, reply thru Facebook. You get a text, respond to the text. It is not your responsibility to try and know what communication device that person is currently using. With WP if your phone is connected to Facebook, a friend messages you, you get notified, provided you have your status set to "online".

Text messages via a landline most likely make up a very small percentage.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I am absolutely amazed that anyone would even respond to you after that statement. To come on here, ask a question then insult those who respond.

Remember what Austin Powers' father said.

Lol! Then maybe she is right - people are dumb (for replying back, amicably, to someone who called them dumb).

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think whatever reason we had for helping you (as I did above) is gone now at least. :D

But let me add that the first two things you write here:
Maybe because I want to send a reply to an american number which is on in another country because my subscription does not let me text to the foreigner number? (assume I do not know where the person is staying).
Or maybe because I see a message (coming from facebook) but by the time I decide to reply the user is no longer online and I want to be sure is gonna receive my message on his cell phone.
Of course first, I need to understand where is he writing from, then I want to choose the channel for my reply.
can be done by simply pressing the "Switch" (the two arrows) button. You do NOT need to see where the response came from in the first case, and in the second case you DO see where it came from since it was the last message, and you can just choose to send a text since it will say that the user is offline in FB. Unless you meant something else than what you wrote (but surely you wouldn't be dumb enough to do that).

Good luck improving your people skills.

Patricia Van Ness

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Instead I need to know if I want to give replies based on the source of the message.
I might want to give a different answer according to the time and the source of the messages I receive. And in order to do that I need to know where the messages are sent from.
I might have the need to keep consistency in the records of a thread carried on through facebook or moderate my replies sent to a certain number.
Imagine a situation where your lover has a number/account which can be controlled and another one which is secret. You need to understand how the thread is made.
Same thing for messages coming from work phones and personal phones.
But you are right, I was not clear enough. I behaved as a dumb.

I think whatever reason we had for helping you (as I did above) is gone now at least. :D

But let me add that the first two things you write here:

can be done by simply pressing the "Switch" (the two arrows) button. You do NOT need to see where the response came from in the first case, and in the second case you DO see where it came from since it was the last message, and you can just choose to send a text since it will say that the user is offline in FB. Unless you meant something else than what you wrote (but surely you wouldn't be dumb enough to do that).

Good luck improving your people skills.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99