Do android or i phones have live tiles like Windows phones?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Simple answer no they don't.

Android has a launcher which mimics windows phone interface but is very badly implemented. iOS is well being iOS.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Yep if you need wp like interface on droid you can install launcher. But it won't be as smooth or fluid like on an windows phone :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Yep if you need wp like interface on droid you can install launcher. But it won't be as smooth or fluid like on an windows phone :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

So you're saying when Android users load the WP Replica Installer, the UI not only looks like WP but it also does Live Tiles?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying when Android users load the WP Replica Installer, the UI not only looks like WP but it also does Live Tiles?
I used android with windows phone design. Its certainly not what you think.

Visually it looks just like windows phone yes but as soon as you press the tile, the android appears and it also loses the visual effects windows phone has as far as transitions and animations.

Basically it looks like a windows phone and is buggy like an android.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Live tiles are not about the flat design, the fluidity of transitions (not being laggy) or the styled animations. These things are just superficial "visual spice".

What are live tiles about? The idea is that any app can display any type of information right on the home screen, and should be able to update that information regularly and in a controlled fashion that doesn't drain your battery. This is a general concept on WP. The WP OS controls the live tiles, but it offers a standardized "socket" into which apps can "plug-in" if they want to determine what the live tile looks like and what data it displays. This is not true for Android or iOS.

Android has widgets, which are similar in the sense that an app can use them to display any type of data directly on the home screen. However, in contrast to live tiles on WP, Android has no control over how widgets look, behave or function. Some view this freedom as a good thing, because it allows widgets to do whatever they want and be more functional as a result. On the flip-side, this freedom also means that widgets are very inconsistent, both in visual style and in how users interact with them. Users must learn how to use each widget individually. I personally value WP's visual and behavioural consistency over Android's (messy) flexibility, but some may disagree.

Apple's iOS has nothing similar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro