Top 100 Apps Availability Analysis

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
“I don’t want to use a Windows Phone because it doesn’t have enough apps.”

I’m so tired of hearing this.

What are the right apps? I decided to catalog the top 100 popular apps on iOS (excluding games), and compare that list to Android, Windows Phone and Windows 8 to see how each store fared in terms of app availability.

source:
Top 100 Apps Availability on iOS, Android, Windows Phone & Windows 8 - Evangelism - Infragistics.com Blog

Date: as of August 7th, 2013
The List – Top 100 Mobile Apps

Apps / Platforms
iOS
Android
Windows Phone
Windows 8
ABC News
yes
phone only*
yes
yes
ABC Player / Watch ABC
yes
yes
no
yes
Accuweather
yes
yes
yes
yes
Adobe Reader
yes
yes
yes
yes
Allrecipes
yes
yes
yes
yes
Amazon Mobile
yes
yes
yes
yes
Amazon Instant Video
yes
no
no
no
Associated Press
yes
yes
yes
yes
Audible
yes
yes
yes
yes
Bank of America
yes
yes
yes
yes
BBC News
yes
yes
no
no
Bing
yes
no
built-in
yes
Bloomberg
yes
yes
yes
no
Box.com
yes
yes
yes
yes
Chase Mobile
yes
yes
yes
no
Citibank
yes
yes
no
no
CBS Interactive Player
yes
no
no
yes
CBS News
yes
yes
no
no
CNBC Real-Time
yes
yes
no
no
CNN
yes
yes
yes
yes
ComiXology
yes
yes
no
yes
DC Comics
yes
yes
yes
no
Dropbox
yes
yes
no (corrected)
yes
E*trade
yes
yes
yes
no
eBay
yes
yes
yes
yes
Engadget
yes
yes
yes
yes
ESPN / Scorecenter
yes
yes
yes
yes
Evernote
yes
yes
yes
yes
Expedia
yes
yes
no
yes
Facebook
yes
yes
yes
no
Flipboard
yes
yes
no
no
Flixter
yes
yes
yes
yes
Foursquare
yes
yes
yes
no
FOX Business
yes
yes
no
yes
FOX News
yes
yes
yes
yes
Good Morning America
iPhone app*
yes
no
no
Google
yes
built-in
yes
yes
Google Maps
yes
yes
no
no
Google+
yes
yes
no
no
Groupon
yes
yes
yes
no
HBO GO
yes
yes
no
no
Hotels.com
yes
yes
yes
yes
Hulu Plus
yes
yes
yes
yes
IMDb
yes
yes
yes
no
Indeed.com Job Search
yes
yes
yes
no
Instagram
iPhone app*
yes
no
no
Instapaper
yes
yes
no
no
Kindle
yes
yes
yes
yes
Kobo Books
yes
yes
no
yes
LinkedIn
yes
yes
yes
no
Marvel Comics
yes
yes
no
no
Mashable
yes
yes
no
no
Microsoft OneNote
yes
yes
yes
yes
Mint.com
yes
yes
no
no
MLB.com At Bat
yes
yes
no
no
NBC Player
yes
no
no
no
NBC News
yes
yes
yes
yes
Netflix
yes
yes
yes
yes
New York Times
yes
yes
yes
yes
Nook
yes
yes
no
yes
OpenTable
yes
yes
yes
yes
Pandora
yes
yes
yes
no
Paypal
yes
yes
yes
no
PGA Tour
yes
yes
yes
no
Photoshop Express
yes
yes
no
yes
Pinterest
yes
yes
no
no
PNC Bank
yes
yes
no
no
Readability
yes
yes
no
no
SharePlus
yes
yes
built-in
built-in
Shazam
yes
yes
yes
yes
SkyDrive
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
Spotify
yes
yes
yes
no
TBS Player
yes
yes
no
yes
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
yes
yes
no
yes
The Weather Channel
yes
yes
yes
yes
Today Show
yes
no
yes
no
TripAdvisor
yes
yes
yes
no
Trulia
yes
yes
no
yes
Tumblr
yes
yes
yes
yes
TuneIn Radio
yes
yes
yes
yes
Twitter
yes
yes
yes
yes
Urbanspoon
yes
yes
yes
yes
USA Today
yes
yes
yes
yes
Vimeo
yes
yes
yes
yes
Vine
yes
yes
no
no
Wall Street Journal
yes
yes
yes
yes
Watch ESPN
yes
yes
no
no
Weatherbug
yes
yes
yes
yes
WebMD
yes
yes
no
no
Wells Fargo
yes
yes
yes (added Aug 8th)
no
WhatsApp
iPhone only*
phone only*
yes
no
Wikipedia
yes
yes
yes**
yes
Yahoo Messenger
yes
yes
no
no
Yahoo Weather
iPhone app*
yes
no
no
Yammer
yes
yes
yes
yes
Yelp
yes
yes
yes
no
YouTube
yes
yes
yes
no
Zillow
yes
yes
yes
no
Zinio
yes
yes
yes
yes

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This looks interesting. Can you add totals to the end for the lazy like me who can't be bothered to go through and count it all up? Also, would you be willing to add further suggestions to the list or are you just interested in the top 100?

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
This looks interesting. Can you add totals to the end for the lazy like me who can't be bothered to go through and count it all up? Also, would you be willing to add further suggestions to the list or are you just interested in the top 100?

This is just a cut copy and paste from the original article

I wish he would have color coded the changes for read-ability.

I will see if can re-edit the copied table...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I love my Windows Phone and I'm pretty sure I'll use WP until either it or me dies. :) But the problem is not really the top apps, it's the new, the most used and the specialized apps.
I mean, come on, ABC News? Sure that's something people get preloaded or download and rarely use again, just like a lot of others. I think it's much more interesting to look at number of bank apps (WP seems to be doing alright there?), apps for stores and shopping malls, interaction with other devices, social networks and social media. Those are apps that people make purchasing decisions depending on their availability. PGA Tour? USA Today? WebMD? Allrecipes? AccuWeather? Today Show? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't care if they are in the top 100, I doubt they are a factor in what phone people choose.

I?m also looking at popular mainstream apps, not ?Flavor of the Month? apps.

Well, sorry those apps matter. So now he excluded games (very important for many) and new and exciting apps. I'm sorry, but this list is virtually meaningless.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
5 missing apps for Android

37 missing apps for our Windows Phone.

I'm not a big app but for those who are, this should be some help for them

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm not picky. If I can open the app. and it gives me google maps, that's good enough for me! :wink:

Pretty sure it doesn't have anything at all to do with Google maps other than the name. I'd bet that it's just a wrapper for the regular Bing maps. I'm trying it out just to check though. :)
EDIT: there is the option to use "Google Maps overlay", which does indeed use Google Maps (there's an area here where Google Maps is the only mapping service that has the correct roads on it). So I take that back, it does have the option to use Google Maps.

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure it doesn't have anything at all to do with Google maps other than the name. I'd bet that it's just a wrapper for the regular Bing maps.

Actually, it's a pretty good app and doesn't have anything to do with bing maps. You should try it and see for yourself!

Last edited:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it's a pretty good app and doesn't have anything to do with bing maps. You should try it and see for yourself!

Well, the default setting is that it uses Bing (the satellite and the 3D has only Bing as an option). But the basic map layout (without satellite images etc) can use Google Maps, if you select that in the settings.

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Well, the default setting is that it uses Bing (the satellite and the 3D has only Bing as an option). But the basic map layout (without satellite images etc) can use Google Maps, if you select that in the settings.

You're right! My bad...But it's a pretty good app. though

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
i think u should add, which app as an on par alternative.. such as vine/instagram ,prevoiusly youtube(metrogram) etc etc..
if the alternative app is atleast as good as official , it deserves to be mentioned(and earns a deserved "Yes")...

emagius

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Games make up a full third of app downloads on Android/iOS and two-thirds of app revenue. It's disingenuous to exclude such a large category of apps in such a comparison.

ActiveNick

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I deliberately excluded games from my analysis for this blog post for a few reasons reasons:

1. Apps will usually "make or break" a purchase decision when considering a new mobile platform. Games are important but are not "deal breakers" for the general population;
2. There are a LOT of games, and you guys are right, they account for a huge number of downloads, but that would have overinflated the list. Either the list would be 75% games, or I would have had to track 300 apps;
3. The popularity of games fluctuates a lot more than apps. Identifying a set list of games spanning 2-3 years is hard. Does Angry Birds still matter as much? We've all played it by now. We're either playing Angry Birds Star Wars or the latest cool "game of the month";

Anyways, I primarily wanted to get a dialogue started, and this is what you guys are doing. Feel free to comment on my app list, which should be included, and which I should have disregarded.

And keep spreading the word! :)

Nick Landry
@ActiveNick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)