Only solution to dead live tiles left - hard reset?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, so recently the few live tiles that I really need them to work have all stopped working for me, they don't update unless I click into the app. Including the battery app, weather flow, chronos calendar, etc. I've tried unpin/repin the app, re-installing the app, restarting the phone, soft resetting the phone, block/unblock them in background tasks. I think the only option for me is to hard reset now..? Or is there any way I can make them alive again?

P.S. I am quite an app hoarder, could that be why my live tiles broke eventually? I wish MS can find a solution to 1. allow more live tiles/background apps 2. make the live tiles truly alive all the time.

Thanks in advance!

mikeofthegarden

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a Battery app, and it is only allowed to refresh every 30 minutes. If you need to see it sooner, you have to open the app. I have Weather Flow too, and I think that only updates every hour (could be wrong?). The only app I had that wasn't refreshing like it should was ESPN Scorecenter. I had to uninstall and reinstall for it to work again.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a Battery app, and it is only allowed to refresh every 30 minutes. If you need to see it sooner, you have to open the app. I have Weather Flow too, and I think that only updates every hour (could be wrong?). The only app I had that wasn't refreshing like it should was ESPN Scorecenter. I had to uninstall and reinstall for it to work again.
yes, I'm aware of the refresh rate limit, but I'm talking a whole day of no updates on the live tile unless I click open the app

Martinspire

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with some apps too. Not sure if every app is doing this, but Weather Flow, Regenmeter, WPCentral and Engadget are not refreshing for me now :cry:

jeffgeno

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
There was another thread about this and there does seem to be a solution. Go to your Settings to Background tasks and take note of what's listed there. Uninstall anything you're not using and soft reset the phone. After a little while all the tiles will start working again. There seems to be some number of background tasks installed on the system that stops everything from working. It doesn't even matter if they're disabled; if they're on there, things stop updating.

Mine had stopped yesterday, I removed 10 or so apps that I never use, then they came back to life. This is really something Microsoft has to get working perfectly. I couldn't care less about a notification center or rotation lock if the one real advantage of the OS isn't working.

bradbamford

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree, this is got to be fixed.

I've uninstalled about 20 apps and soft restarted about 10 times and the tiles that are left are still not updating. Specifically, the Bing weather tile still has a nighttime picture and temperature from the last time I opened the app.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo