How many background tasks do you have running?

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I never really checked the amount of background tasks I had running before until I starting noticing that my 920 was losing battery faster than I would like. I found that I had Amazing Weather HD, 3 of the Bing apps, 6tagram, WPCentral, and Slated are running in the background. Is 7 way too many? How many apps are you guys running in the background?

sharpycl

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I have 7 background tasks running. Battery life hasn't taken a huge hit but it could be better. I don't want to shut off any of those background tasks because I enjoy the experience of those apps running in the background. If that means charging my phone a few times a day then I am cool with that ;)

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I have 7 background tasks running. Battery life hasn't taken a huge hit but it could be better. I don't want to shut off any of those background tasks because I enjoy the experience of those apps running in the background. If that means charging my phone a few times a day then I am cool with that ;)

Thats generally the way I look at it too. To me its the definition of "glance and go". Although I do wish battery life could be better, nothings perfect though :)

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
None. I shut down all background tasks. I also routinely turn off all unnecessary services (NFC, Bluetooth, etc.) Yes, this means that many 3rd party app's Live Tiles don't update, but I don't care about that. I like the Photos, People, Messaging, and email tiles live updating, but anything else makes my home screen look chaotic to me.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got 13 running, and have had up to 15. Without noticeable detriment to the battery. Typically the only reason I disable one is so that another can run that I place a higher priority on. The limit varies depending on situation (whether that's phone, or other variables, I don't know), but I've been limited at 15 most of the time, but there's been a time or two that I've gotten a warning when I only had 13.

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I've got 13 running, and have had up to 15. Without noticeable detriment to the battery. Typically the only reason I disable one is so that another can run that I place a higher priority on. The limit varies depending on situation (whether that's phone, or other variables, I don't know), but I've been limited at 15 most of the time, but there's been a time or two that I've gotten a warning when I only had 13.

And here I am worrying about putting NextGen as an 8th task haha.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I never really checked the amount of background tasks I had running before until I starting noticing that my 920 was losing battery faster than I would like. I found that I had Amazing Weather HD, 3 of the Bing apps, 6tagram, WPCentral, and Slated are running in the background. Is 7 way too many? How many apps are you guys running in the background?

I do run only 3, WPCentral, Amazing Weather HD and MyTube. But also remember there are hidden background tasks which can't be disabled or are not displayed. For example you can activate/deactivate Skype background message receiving or Twitter notifications only via in-app settings, same with Facebook/Facebook Beta. Nokia Music live tile seems to be automatic, can't 'kill' it via in-app settings nor background tasks. So I guess I'm running about 6-7 tasks.

ferazzz1985

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
This makes me wonder if my phone has battery problems. Because with 7 apps in the background my battery has been dying in like 2 hours :(

That is not normal my friend.....before freaking out have you done a complete reset??? It happened to me when I had my 920 and I couldn`t figure out why my battery wasn`t lasting more than 4-5 hours and I told myself I am not turning off background tasks because that defeats the purpose of the live tiles I wanted to update. So instead of opening a case with Nokia I first decided to reset and guess what it fixed whatever was going on. I have no explanation as to why but you should try it before thinking it is hardware related...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This makes me wonder if my phone has battery problems. Because with 7 apps in the background my battery has been dying in like 2 hours :(

Yeah... There's a problem. Could be resolved with a hard reset as ferazzz says, but could also be hardware. Odds are software, but the only way to know is to do the hard reset and wait to see.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
4 essential ones and 5 at most. Battery drain is ok. Lasts me a day. I'd rather have a few on to enhance my exp than turn all off and stupify my phone for just a small margin.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The phone will limit the number of apps depending on the phone's situation. I don't know what parameters it looks at, but I've been limited to 15 and 13 at different times.

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the never ending cogs issue is still present on the 920? That's why I've been holding off on doing a hard reset.

ferazzz1985

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if the never ending cogs issue is still present on the 920? That's why I've been holding off on doing a hard reset.

Some people still experience it while other don`t. Before I sold my 920 I reset it and it took a good 20 minutes (and I was scared) but I let it do it`s thing and it finally reboot into the home screen.

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Some people still experience it while other don`t. Before I sold my 920 I reset it and it took a good 20 minutes (and I was scared) but I let it do it`s thing and it finally reboot into the home screen.

Luckily, im still under warranty if anything happens lol

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

10 to 1 one of those apps is hosing up your location services. Turn that off and see if you get better battery life. I allow three background apps atm and have location services turned off. I charge my L920 every 2- 3 days.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Do you use the VGBC8 emulator? That has a bug in it that even after you close the app, something from it hangs in the background, completely destroying your battery in a very short amount of time until a soft reset is performed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb