Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I never really checked the amount of background tasks I had running before until I starting noticing that my 920 was losing battery faster than I would like. I found that I had Amazing Weather HD, 3 of the Bing apps, 6tagram, WPCentral, and Slated are running in the background. Is 7 way too many? How many apps are you guys running in the background?

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I have 7 background tasks running. Battery life hasn't taken a huge hit but it could be better. I don't want to shut off any of those background tasks because I enjoy the experience of those apps running in the background. If that means charging my phone a few times a day then I am cool with that ;)

I run six. Otherwise my battery seems to drain very quickly.

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpycl View Post
    I have 7 background tasks running. Battery life hasn't taken a huge hit but it could be better. I don't want to shut off any of those background tasks because I enjoy the experience of those apps running in the background. If that means charging my phone a few times a day then I am cool with that ;)
    Thats generally the way I look at it too. To me its the definition of "glance and go". Although I do wish battery life could be better, nothings perfect though :)

Global Posts
    1,716 Global Posts
    None. I shut down all background tasks. I also routinely turn off all unnecessary services (NFC, Bluetooth, etc.) Yes, this means that many 3rd party app's Live Tiles don't update, but I don't care about that. I like the Photos, People, Messaging, and email tiles live updating, but anything else makes my home screen look chaotic to me.

Global Posts
    5,015 Global Posts
    I've got 13 running, and have had up to 15. Without noticeable detriment to the battery. Typically the only reason I disable one is so that another can run that I place a higher priority on. The limit varies depending on situation (whether that's phone, or other variables, I don't know), but I've been limited at 15 most of the time, but there's been a time or two that I've gotten a warning when I only had 13.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    I've got 13 running, and have had up to 15. Without noticeable detriment to the battery. Typically the only reason I disable one is so that another can run that I place a higher priority on. The limit varies depending on situation (whether that's phone, or other variables, I don't know), but I've been limited at 15 most of the time, but there's been a time or two that I've gotten a warning when I only had 13.
    And here I am worrying about putting NextGen as an 8th task haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ozahran View Post
    I never really checked the amount of background tasks I had running before until I starting noticing that my 920 was losing battery faster than I would like. I found that I had Amazing Weather HD, 3 of the Bing apps, 6tagram, WPCentral, and Slated are running in the background. Is 7 way too many? How many apps are you guys running in the background?
    I do run only 3, WPCentral, Amazing Weather HD and MyTube. But also remember there are hidden background tasks which can't be disabled or are not displayed. For example you can activate/deactivate Skype background message receiving or Twitter notifications only via in-app settings, same with Facebook/Facebook Beta. Nokia Music live tile seems to be automatic, can't 'kill' it via in-app settings nor background tasks. So I guess I'm running about 6-7 tasks.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    I find that with 6-7 background apps running the battery is not all that bad.

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ferazzz1985 View Post
    I find that with 6-7 background apps running the battery is not all that bad.
    This makes me wonder if my phone has battery problems. Because with 7 apps in the background my battery has been dying in like 2 hours :(

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    This makes me wonder if my phone has battery problems. Because with 7 apps in the background my battery has been dying in like 2 hours :(
    That is not normal my friend.....before freaking out have you done a complete reset??? It happened to me when I had my 920 and I couldn`t figure out why my battery wasn`t lasting more than 4-5 hours and I told myself I am not turning off background tasks because that defeats the purpose of the live tiles I wanted to update. So instead of opening a case with Nokia I first decided to reset and guess what it fixed whatever was going on. I have no explanation as to why but you should try it before thinking it is hardware related...

Global Posts
    5,015 Global Posts
    Yeah... There's a problem. Could be resolved with a hard reset as ferazzz says, but could also be hardware. Odds are software, but the only way to know is to do the hard reset and wait to see.
    - Rich

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Isn't there a maximum no of tasks that can run in the background ?

4 essential ones and 5 at most. Battery drain is ok. Lasts me a day. I'd rather have a few on to enhance my exp than turn all off and stupify my phone for just a small margin.

Global Posts
    5,015 Global Posts
    The phone will limit the number of apps depending on the phone's situation. I don't know what parameters it looks at, but I've been limited to 15 and 13 at different times.
    - Rich

Thanked by:
    sision 

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if the never ending cogs issue is still present on the 920? That's why I've been holding off on doing a hard reset.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if the never ending cogs issue is still present on the 920? That's why I've been holding off on doing a hard reset.
    Some people still experience it while other don`t. Before I sold my 920 I reset it and it took a good 20 minutes (and I was scared) but I let it do it`s thing and it finally reboot into the home screen.

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ferazzz1985 View Post
    Some people still experience it while other don`t. Before I sold my 920 I reset it and it took a good 20 minutes (and I was scared) but I let it do it`s thing and it finally reboot into the home screen.
    Luckily, im still under warranty if anything happens lol

10 to 1 one of those apps is hosing up your location services. Turn that off and see if you get better battery life. I allow three background apps atm and have location services turned off. I charge my L920 every 2- 3 days.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

Do you use the VGBC8 emulator? That has a bug in it that even after you close the app, something from it hangs in the background, completely destroying your battery in a very short amount of time until a soft reset is performed.

6 apps at the moment

I keep getting the "to many background tasks running". How many thouse are I don't know and since long stop'ed looking. Isn't it max 8 or something that can run?

I have 15 apps active running in the background and at least another 12 that I want active but can't due to the "Too (not to) many background tasks running" message.
    Live tiles are one of Windows Phone's premier features. I wish we cold have more apps active and that each would update even more often, cycling through and offering fresh information to glance at.
    Thanked by:
  24. NXH

I got the full limit of 15 apps running in the background ! And I'm complaining about that limit because I want to add couple more. Battery life is fine for me. With 8 hrs at work, I would still be left with 60 to 70% depending on usage on that day

What i always did after coming from fresh format, i installed first the lumia storage checker and sequentially choose what app is important then i check the storage space it occupies and the background task so i will know if the application i installed consumes a lot of power.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast