Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Is it true that Windows Phone 8.1/Blue won't support devices with 512mb ram?

If that's true it will make me regret buying a Lumia 720 rather than 820 especially that their prices are nearly similar here in Egypt!

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AhmedAtef View Post

If that's true it will make me regret buying a Lumia 720 rather than 820 especially that their prices are nearly similar here in Egypt!
    I haven't heard that nor would it make sense. Either way, no one knows what is going to be included in 8.1. Right now, it is just a bunch of guesses, rumors and hopes.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,824 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    What? Where did you get that?

All Windows Phone 8 devices are to have a support cycle of at least 36 months since release.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?

Well that guy in that comment looked talking in confidence!! that's what got me confused a little bit!
    New features for Windows Phone 8 GDR3 reportedly revealed; due in the coming months | Windows Phone Central

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    Well that guy in that comment looked talking in confidence!! that's what got me confused a little bit!
    New features for Windows Phone 8 GDR3 reportedly revealed; due in the coming months | Windows Phone Central

Random people commenting on a story generally aren't good sources!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    I just did a quick search on Bing. Windows 8.1 32-bit requires 1gb or RAM. Nothing has been said about wp8.1. I am guessing that guy just got confused.
    Thanked by:

PIN
    No
    I seriously doubt that. The vast majority of the WP market share consists of 512MB RAM devices (Just look, the Lumia 520 and 521 took the world by storm and now have the largest WP device market share).

Microsoft would be shooting themselves in the foot by dropping support for 512 MB RAM devices. So unless they transfer the Xbox team to work on Windows Phone, that won't happen.

OMG u gave me a heart attack........!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    I just did a quick search on Bing. Windows 8.1 32-bit requires 1gb or RAM. Nothing has been said about wp8.1. I am guessing that guy just got confused.
    Yeah I think so!

Quote Originally Posted by santhosh5639 View Post
    OMG u gave me a heart attack........!!!!!!!
    I had the same heart attack few minutes ago! :D

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    I had the same heart attack few minutes ago! :D
    You and santhosh can take a deep breath!

Pls change the tittle of the thread.
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.

Nothing to read here move along just another rumor taking out of context.
    TMobile Nokia Lumia 521 (GDR3/Black) - Prepaid Unlimited + 3gb Hotspot
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 - Net10 AT&T
    Retired Focus Flash (wp7.8 = 7.10.8862.14)
    Net10/Straight Talk AT&T Apn Data for Samsung Wireless Manager
    WPCentralApp Beta Tester

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    If it turns out to be true I would guess a new phone purchase would be the plan which is what most people do quite often anyhow. No big deal either way.

If it is true it will be dead end for WP. Nobody will buy a WP again.

Sent from my NL720 using Tapatalk

No I am very sure about that because most popular devices runs on a 512 mb ram like lumia 520 so they cant afford to leave those sets.
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    IT IS NOT TRUE. Nothing has been said about it. No more reason to talk about it and create nervousness for no reason.
    The current leaks show that GDR3 is still in testing. WP Blue is still a long way ahead. It is too early to say whether it will support the 512 MB devices or not.
    I heard WP8 actually has lower resource needs than WP7, can anyone confirm?

(And Windows 8 is a bit lighter than 7 I think)

Global Posts
    4,824 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post

No no no. If anything, it's actually heavier.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?

I don't think it's true either, since MS officially promises technical support for WP8 ecosystem for 36 months, no way MS would ditch any WP8 devices with only 512MB ram on board any time soon.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Yeah That's True Maybe All Windows Phones Might Be updated to Windows phone 8.1 after all :)
    I work for a large European carrier. I've been told directly by Nokia, on multiple occasions, that all current devices will receive WP8.1. Your L720 will receive it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post

I can confirm that this is very wrong. It is likely another example of people confusing statements made about W7 and W8, and expecting them to apply similarly to WP7 and WP8 as well.

The WP8 kernel is slightly more efficient than the WP7 kernel. That is just a small part of the OS however. Most of what doesn't belong to the kernel is more powerful in terms of flexibility and extensibility, but it is quite a bit less efficient than WP7. With things like the WP8 CLR it depends on what you are referring to. Some things it executes faster, others it does not, although it generally requires more RAM than its WP7 equivalent. And so on and so forth...

WP7 was based on an extremely lightweight real-time OS called Windows CE. Nothing coming from the desktop/server realm (Like WP8 or Android) will be as lightweight and efficient as that.

Going forward however, progress in specific parts of the OS will be similar between WP8.x and W8.x, like the CLR. Just so far it hasn't been.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTraveler View Post
    No no no. If anything, it's actually heavier.
    Lol so hheavy that phones with 512 mb cant play the big games Microsoft should make sure that there are 512mb games in the store that are close to the 1gb games or Microsoft could actually make wp so much faster and better tht maybe 1 gb games can run on those phones
    Quote Originally Posted by Mroofieunblockm View Post
    Lol so hheavy that phones with 512 mb cant play the big games Microsoft should make sure that there are 512mb games in the store that are close to the 1gb games or Microsoft could actually make wp so much faster and better tht maybe 1 gb games can run on those phones
    The RAM requirements for the big games has nothing to do with the OS. That is alone on the shoulders of every individual game. The main difficulty is that most games are ported from other platforms that manage RAM differently. It has nothing to do with OS itself, and how efficient it may or may not be.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast