If I liked Google Now, will I like Tell Me?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
This is essentially what it seems like, a question as to how good Tell Me has become. My last experience was with the Lumia 900 and it was horrible on the Tell Me front.

But they have had an entire year to improve on it since then.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Others might have a different experience, but I think Google Now is better than Tell Me. I don't find Tell Me does a good job of recognizing what I'm saying and once it does it doesn't have all the features offered by Google Now. Seems like I've read somewhere voice actions will be improved in the 8.1 release.

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if Tell Me will integrate with your web searches, for example. On Google Now, if you search for a place on the map, then a card appears that tells you the time it takes to reach there. Likewise every morning, a card that shows how long it takes to reach office. That kind of integration is missing. You may not like Tell Me.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Google Now is better. Also, I am an Indian. If it can properly get what I am saying, I am dead sure it will do an even better job for someone with an American or British accent. But I realized one cool thing about Tell Me. It works OFFLINE!

Haven't checked if Google Now does too though..

western_riders_dad

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Google Now is very different from Tell Me, in terms of capabilities. It is the one feature I do miss from Android since moving over to Windows Phone 8. While Tell Me's voice recognition works very well for me, the functionality isn't anywhere near as complete as Google Now. For example, I can say (via Google Now), "Will I need an umbrella today?", and it will respond (with voice) with my local weather. Try the same question via Tell Me, and you will be presented with Bing search results for "Will I need an umbrella today"?. Tell Me does give you the ability to launch certain applications, initiate text messages / phone calls to people in your contacts list, and launch navigation, for example. But currently, definitely not as full featured or cutting edge as Google Now. Is this enough of a selling point for me to go back to Android??? No way

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
TellMe is pretty weak right now, and it was the biggest disappointment for me coming from Windows Phone 7. TelMe hasn't evolved at all in Windows Phone, and they haven't done the simple stuff (commands for going to websites, adding calendar events, being able to use TellMe for speech dictation anywhere there is a text field, etc..). In a recent interview with a guy from Microsoft, it looks like we will have to wait a while for such functionality as well. He said they are waiting to release something that is more "revolutionary" than Siri or Google Now, and not simply a clone of those. This is a really dumb thing to do IMHO because you don't avoid adding features that users want (especially if they are looking at trying Windows Phone from another platform) simply because it is already on another platform; that's called laziness...plain and simple (or not admitting you can't create something with similar functionality,and won't admit it...)

itsmemuffins

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
How do do you tell your Windows Phone 8 to play song? I tell my phone to play all music and it does an Internet search for play all songs :angry:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
How do do you tell your Windows Phone 8 to play song? I tell my phone to play all music and it does an Internet search for play all songs :angry:

Say "Play Skrillex" or "Play Black Sun Empire" and it will pop up the Albums and then u can click or say which Album you want to play from..

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yea I tried to set my alarm like I would on Google Now and it didn't work lol

Sent from something UhMEHZing using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that a bit like asking "If I liked my yacht, will I like a canoe?" Tell Me is little more than voice recognition (and not too great at that, at least on a phone), but Google Now is all that plus artificial intelligence.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that a bit like asking "If I liked my yacht, will I like a canoe?" Tell Me is little more than voice recognition (and not too great at that, at least on a phone), but Google Now is all that plus artificial intelligence.

I had hoped that Tell Me had evolved beyond what it had been a couple years ago.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Google now and Siri are different from each other as well. Google now can replace you using your hands whereas Siri can help you launch and do certain things, but majority of those functions, your hands /fingers have to be involved.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
It just says searching for (album name) and does a bung web search.
Install HeyDJ, then say "Hey DJ, play... [song or album or artist or play all]."

Tip: You do need to run the app when you first install so it will run through your music so it will recognize the song/album/artist names. You need to do this if you add songs too.

itsmemuffins

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Install HeyDJ, then say "Hey DJ, play... [song or album or artist or play all]."

Tip: You do need to run the app when you first install so it will run through your music so it will recognize the song/album/artist names. You need to do this if you add songs too.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Or...install Maluuba. I used Maluuba even when I had an Android device. It doesn't offer voice feedback, but it can do A LOT!

- Tell it "Play some jazz", "Play songs by Breaking Benjamin", or even "Play some music" and it does all those exactly within their own music player - which isn't bad!
- Tell it "I want to see a comedy movie tonight" and it'll get showtimes for comedies.
- Ask it, "What time does American Ninja Warrior come on tonight?" or "What's on the Food Network tonight" and after you've let it know your cable/sat provider, it'll give those results.
- Ask, "Do I need an umbrella?", What's the weather for the weekend in Miami, Florida?" and you'll get that info.
- "Wake me up in a half and hour"
- "Text Erin I picked up the milk"
- "Put George Bush on the line" and it'll call that contact - so long as that person is in your address book. What, you guys don't have the W in your address book?
- "Call a pizza place."
- "Find me a drum set for about $2000"
- "How many calories are in a bottle of Corona?"
- "How tall is Michael Jordan?"
- "What can I do for fun today?"
- "Where can I fill up for gas?"

... and so much more!

Personally, I'm digging the television capabilities. The app will start at the microphone screen - just tap and talk. Slide to the left and you've got your agenda for the day. Slide again and there are suggestions. I used this app more than I used Google Now.

Maluuba | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

There's also Indigo, which I never used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos