New to WP8- need app Facebook advice

puqq

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have recently switched from iPhone to HTC 8x. In general, I like the WP and quite a few features on it. However, I find the Facebook messaging implementation completely useless in the official app (sluggish, keyboard is hidden after "send", message does not appear for a while, etc).

What's the best solution? I want:

1) simple interface,
2) ability to view the past history of communication, and
3) lock screen notifications

(i.e. something similar to iOS messenger app)

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Try to use facebook messaging from the Messaging Hub.

The interface is pretty simple
Past chats are saved (although I am not sure how many)
You can set lockscreen notifications for messaging hub

puqq

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Try to use facebook messaging from the Messaging Hub.

The interface is pretty simple
Past chats are saved (although I am not sure how many)
You can set lockscreen notifications for messaging hub

Thanks.

When I click on contact, I cannot see any past history of communication, only the messages that were sent from the hub. Will it take for the hub some time to download old messages, or is it a permanent feature?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That makes the app quite useless. I also noticed that not all messages are actually captured for one reason or another.

Is there a *working* alternative?

No. It's a hit and miss. Just need to wait till it is resolved.
You can use the mobile site in the browswer.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's annoying that the messaging hub only keeps the messages you sent and received through it. Sometimes I switch between the mobile site and the hub messaging, and it becomes quite confusing to only see partial conversations in the hub. Windows 8 messaging has the same issue, I believe. I just use the hub messaging as a way to see when people contact me (you get it on the lock screen and in the toast notifications), and use the pinned browser bookmark for FB browsing and communication - once you pin the FB website it works just like an app anyway.

I can't recommend the FB mobile site highly enough though. It works really great in the WP8 browser, and is much preferably over the app(s), except for uploading pictures, which you can do through the phone's native UI or through the app.

puqq

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Should we gather the pitchforks?

Make you should have done your research BEFORE you bought the phone?

Well, I assumed all smartphones copes with the standard functions properly- you wouldn't check whether a WP device can make calls or send texts, would you? BB, Android and iOS copes with FB messaging for what seems since the beginning of time.

Nevertheless, I got the device 2nd hand to try and can resell it without any loss at all- not a biggie. It's just a shame that such a nice system overlooks such a simple (if not trivial) feature, and hence very badly damages usability to a massive consumer segment. Way to go, MS.

puqq

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I can't recommend the FB mobile site highly enough though. It works really great in the WP8 browser, and is much preferably over the app(s), except for uploading pictures, which you can do through the phone's native UI or through the app.

Thanks, will try.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What a great ambassador you are. Plus if people did research before, would they ever choose WP? :)

Thank you.

6N2Fa.gif

I guess when you go to purcahse something, lets say a car, you just walk into the dealership and say "oh. that car looks nice. I'll have it"... and you purcahse it.

If the OP visited wpcentral to find out ANYTHING about the phone or just to read reviews, he would have seen the NUMEROUS threads about facebook and it's notifications. Well. Lack thereof.

A good day to you, gentlemen.
*tips hat*

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I think this is the fatal weakness with the unified messaging/people centric approach. You end up with such a compromised version of each service that you're better off sticking to the silos and using the official apps.
Having said that, the Facebook app famously sucks on all platforms.

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
@above nop ,

my roommates facebook app works flawlessly.... of course he has an iPhone. Actually facebook apps work fine on all other platforms.
Also the messaging hub facebook doesnt support group Facebook messaging. (or maybe i just haven't figured out how to use it...) its half-assed , just like most of the platform.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2