Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Hi there. I wasn't sure on where to ask this, so I asked on this forum.

In the end of the month I (plan) to buy a Windows Phone. However just recently Samsung dropped the price on Ativ S on Brazil. Now its price is the same as the Lumia 820.

Which one is better? Ativ S has bigger screen and better front camera, but Nokia who its sharing the love on WP. Any thoughts?

Nokia have the best apps, ativ s is the better phone.

Sooooo....it really depends how much you want Nokia apps really.

The ativ s is a much better device though.
    Bartdog and MSFTisMIA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellzea View Post

And Nokia's most important app (Drive) is available on the ATIV S. Go for the ATIV S. The 820 is much worse.
    It's a no brainer. Get the 820. Nokia is ridiculously better than Samsung in every way possible.
    http://mowned.com/sig/metalchick719.extended.jpg
    knowname likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get the 820. Nokia is ridiculously better than Samsung in every way possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterfares View Post
    And Nokia's most important app (Drive) is available on the ATIV S. Go for the ATIV S. The 820 is much worse.
    I asked before to my friends and they always said "ignore everything, buy a Nokia and don't even blink". I always hated Samsung devices on Android too. But on the updates the 820 seems to be ignored by Nokia and the differences on the screen, internal storage and front camera are buggin me.

I didn't mentioned before, both devices are being sold with no carrier attached. (brazilians don't buy phones through carries usually, really).

Quote Originally Posted by Kellzea View Post

Nokia apps are a game changer? I heard that Ativ S has some exclusives too.

Ativ S

I have both Ativ S and L820.
    The thing is... Lumia only wins cause of Nokia apps, but seems we can install the most important ones no matter manufacture so... :)
    Last edited by migueli2; 08-11-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    Current WP: Lumia 930
    Current WT: Microsoft Surface 2 w/ Touch Cover 2

History WP: Samsung Omnia W > Lumia 710 > Lumia 800 > Lumia 620 > Lumia 820 > Samsung ATIV S > Lumia 920 > Lumia 925 > Lumia 1020
    History WT: Asus Vivo TAB Smart > Toshiba Encore 8 > Microsoft Surface RT
    MSFTisMIA likes this.

Ativ S. Samsung appears to be jumping back on the WP 8 bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by migueli2 View Post
    Ativ S

I have both Ativ S and L820.
    The thing is... Lumia only wins cause of Nokia apps, but seems we can install the most important ones no matter manufacture so... :)
    Really? And the camera? Any thoughts?

I think the camera is a wash. The 820 is a non-Preview.

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    It boils down to your usage. If all is tied, get the Ativ S. Better experience because it is high end, while the 820 is just a high MID-RANGE. Unless you need all "Nokia exclusives", and honestly, most of the good ones like their transport and navigation apps are open to all WP8 phones. The only thing is that Nokia's camera apps a re nice, but again, you can get the better mileage out of Proshot and Cam 360. I think the Ativ S is a better buy. The only thing I wish it had was Qi wireless charging...if Samsung made a back cover with that built in, it would slay all other WP8s except for the Lumia 1020 and 92x as those have superior cameras.

Nokia's devices will always have more and better features than others. Go with 820.

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    HOLD ON RIGHT THERE! (I assumed you would be running to the store any time now so I screamed :p)

I have the 820 But here are some issues with it:

Battery Drains really quick - no "tricks" work.

Heats up - The screen side of it heats up like hell sometime

And thats it! If u are ok with these two issues...GO for 820!
    snowmutt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    HOLD ON RIGHT THERE! (I assumed you would be running to the store any time now so I screamed :p)

I have the 820 But here are some issues with it:

Battery Drains really quick - no "tricks" work.

Heats up - The screen side of it heats up like hell sometime

And thats it! If u are ok with these two issues...GO for 820!
    Define "drains really quick". Can it last for a day?

So far I noticed that Ativ S is a better device than 820, but Nokia who delivers the better "experience" even with a lower device.

However I'm afraid of buying a Samsung, since almost all Android from them ends on dust, and Windows Phone on their minds is just a incovenience. It woudn't be nice if Nokia just made a gazillion of exclusive apps/updates in the future and the others end up dying in the water. It has been said that some Nokia apps are downloadable on ther devices but if someone change their mind in the future?

But I may be too crazy and end with a lower device. I will have all the posts on the mind when I buy the new phone. Thanks so far (and I could use any more thoughts on this).

The differences aren't that big, just try them out and see what fits you better.. The 820 is really solid, and what screen size do you prefer? An important thing is that they both use AMOLEDs which get criticized because of their unnatural colors, on Lumia you can add color profiles. The front facing camera, if you want to use it, sucks, that's right. But still, most important is how you like the device when you have it in your hands.

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by athosbr99 View Post
    Define "drains really quick". Can it last for a day?

So far I noticed that Ativ S is a better device than 820, but Nokia who delivers the better "experience" even with a lower device.

However I'm afraid of buying a Samsung, since almost all Android from them ends on dust, and Windows Phone on their minds is just a incovenience. It woudn't be nice if Nokia just made a gazillion of exclusive apps/updates in the future and the others end up dying in the water. It has been said that some Nokia apps are downloadable on ther devices but if someone change their mind in the future?

But I may be too crazy and end with a lower device. I will have all the posts on the mind when I buy the new phone. Thanks so far (and I could use any more thoughts on this).
    Again, depends completely on you. But, unlike me, if u have a job where you are away from a power source/charger for a long time, I would recommend against the 820. 820 needs power cord plugged in most of the time. Most phones dont last a day in these modern times, and 820 even lesser. Again, depends on your usage. I have discovered one thing though, the battery drain is greater on Data Network than on WiFi.
    Hope that helps.

But other than these:
    Build Quality is A grade
    Screen is beautiful
    Fast and responsive 1GB RAM
    Perfect in hand

and over all just perfect in everyway. Samsung may be pulling the chord on WP anytime now and anyways I have been very vocal about my hate towards Samsung.
    metalchick719 likes this.

definetly Ativ S

I don't get why people are saying ativ s have drive also..yeah but it costs like 30$ ? What's the point then? Or am I missing something?

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m3kk View Post
    I don't get why people are saying ativ s have drive also..yeah but it costs like 30$ ? What's the point then? Or am I missing something?
    You are. OP is getting both at the same price.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.

Global Posts
    4,688 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Get the Ativ S.

As much as I don't like Samsung, the 820's battery life is unacceptable.
    But, you'll get that Glance Screen on the 820, it's killer feature.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?
    820 since nokia supports its windows phones so much more, exclusive apps and some awesome new features like glance screen *hopefully in next updates we could see notifications on it like nokia n9 or symbian phones) double tap to wake up, color profile, sms and call filter, and who knows what other things nokia brings along gdr3 combo.

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Ativ S.

Global Posts
    1,731 Global Posts
    Here's an idea, why not try them both first if you can. I wouldn't trust what people say on any website as they will always promote what is their personal favourite without looking at it objectively.

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neo158 View Post
    Here's an idea, why not try them both first if you can. I wouldn't trust what people say on any website as they will always promote what is their personal favourite without looking at it objectively.
    You know, the OP never said HOW they were getting the phone. What if they cannot try each phone in person? I guess that's why you never read reviews because you cannot get anything "objectively".

I'm in a similar spot to the OP. I have reliable online dealer I've used in the past selling the 8X for $275, the Ativ S for $290 and the 920 for $360. The 820 on their site sells between $260-$275. All are unlocked, international models. I like all three, and all three are upgrades over the 820. The 8X is the best buy of the 3 if your priority is a high WP8 experiences that plays on price and a smaller budget and if you like a smaller handset with a big screen. The Ativ S is the best buy of the 3 because if you consume a ton of media on the go (movies, etc), you get 16GB internal + memory card slot + removable battery. The 920 is the best buy of the three is budget isn't an issue as you get superior camera, wireless charging and excellent after sales support.

Hardware wise, Samsung and HTC made very good alternatives to Nokia. If Samsung and HTC threw even half of their WP7 support behind these devices, Nokia would have to innovate even more and port more of their Symbian OS stuff to WP (Glance, for example). Besides, Ativ S users will tell you you can wake the,phone by hitting either the power or the physical start key button. Ativ S now allows you to create folders on WP8.

So OP, it boils down to your needs. If you value better OEM support, swappable wireles charging shells...then go Nokia. If you want a high end experience at that price point, go Ativ S as you get a bigger screen, more memory, bigger removal battery and 2nd lightest WP model weight wise out currently (8X is the lightest).
    X0LARIUM likes this.

I'm getting the phone online. However there is a physcal store near me that has both, but they locked it up so its impossible to hold it.

So I have to choose between OEM support and a better device?

Just to know, what apps/functions i'm gonna be missing if I go with Ativ S?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast