Help Me Start a Grassroots WP8 "Make That App" Campaign

RobbCab

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey everybody. I wanted to bounce an idea off of the community here at WP Central.

We all know one of the biggest "knocks" against WP is the app gap with iOS and Android. While the platform has made strides in the number of "Name" apps recently, I'm sure we all want to see every app available possible.

What would all think of a grass-roots effort where we target different companies daily with Tweets requesting they develop a WP8/Win8 app. I know a lot of us have done this individually, but if we get organized and hit them en masse it would be much more effective. Social media directors may not think twice about a few random tweets every couple of weeks, but if we can get a few thousand requests to them is a matter of hours they may take WP more seriously.

Best of all for you, to make this a success all you would need to do is re-tweet requests I send out.

Now before you run off thinking "This guy is crazy", know that I've been in advertising/PR/marketing & design for more than 20 years. I currently run web development for a 250M/year ecommerce company and implemented the social media program we have here.

I know the results we can obtain if we work together to put pressure on companies and let them know the Windows Phone platform is larger and more influential than they believe.

Let me know what you think here in comments or shoot me a tweet @RobbCab & follow me if you want to join in (I'm going to be sending out tweets to these companies anyway). Who knows, if I can get a few thousand followers and you can get some of your followers to re-re-tweet for you, maybe we can affect change in the app gap a wee bit faster.

Thanks for reading,
Robb

vakama94

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Count me in. Even If I don't currently own a Windows Phone device I'd definitely like to see everything that's on other platforms make the jump to WP.

RobbCab

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I hoped this thread would get more than just 6 comments, but it's a start. I've been and will continue to bug companies to release apps anyway.

If you're not already, follow @robbcab on Twitter and get ready to RT requests.

RobbCab

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
HBO Go added to my list. I'd really love to see Amazon Instant as well, but they don't even have an Android version other than on the Kindle so I think they're keeping it close to the vest to attract users (something MS has lost sight of).

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely I am in. @bartdog66 is your newest follower.

You are right that this stuff works. I'm a huge fan of the tv show "Community" which is in danger every year of being cancelled. The only reason they are making a season 5 is because of all the support of fans via hashmobs, facebook posts, etc. Also, when Dan posted the news article about Hemlis Messenger and we hit them up on twitter, they responded that they'd think about it. If we get enough people this will work.

We need to coordinate our efforts. Have you asked @Daniel_Rubino to help out?

Anyone want to send a tweet to my local tv station @wjxt4 ? They have a new mobile app for the usual i##### and an#####, but no WP.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I am in too. I've been bugging @Flickr, @marissamayer and the new head of Flickr, @berniehernie for an update (with an #UpdateFlickrForWP hashtag) and while I did get a few retweets (because I had started a thread in the forums), I agree that a co-ordinated effort will have a larger impact.

I would love to see this thread be published on WPC webiste under the "From the Forums" category so you get maximum visibility and many more followers who can retweet you.

Edit: btw, I believe this thread belongs in the Windows Phone Apps section of the Forums.

Last edited:

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm up for this.

Some "targets" that might be lesser known:

1. CANON and NIKON. The two most popular DSLR/camera manufacturers... Neither one has a Windows Phone app. So if you want to take a pic with your camera and send it to the phone with the camera's builtin WIFI - or remotely trigger the camera - you simply can't with WP. Also, older CANON/NIKON cameras that did not have wifi supported a 3rd party wifi card called EYE-FI (eye.fi) - it *also* does not support windows phone. So DSLR users with Windows Phone are completely out of luck in terms of DSLR <> phone communication. If we can get either Canon or Nikon to make an app it will pressure the other to make one likely.

2. TIVO - Tivo just launched their "Roamio" line of DVRs that let you stream to mobile devices, but not Windows Phone. Also no ability to schedule recordings with Windows Phone aside from the dreadful mobile site. The TIVO Stream standalone device also does not work with Windows Phone.

3. OPTIMUM/CABLEVISION - A northeast cable provider who has iOS/Android apps for program guides and DVR scheduling, but nothing for Windows Phone.

4. INVELOS DVD PROFILER - Arguably the best movie collection management utility, only on iOS and Android currently. There is a valiant effort at a 3rd party app but it is glitchy and requires open ports thus could be a security concern.

Last edited:

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have actually asked Tivo to support Windows devices with stream. I asked them the day I first received the announcement. I'll definitely hit them up for supporting streaming to wp. I've been wanting that a lot lately.

loudo

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
1. DirecTV to create a Windows Phone app for DirecTV Everywhere.
2. DirecTV for a Windows Phone app for the NHL Center Ice package.
2. NHL Center Ice for a Windows Phone app for Center Ice.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I think we need to focus some attention on "square." They've said they have no plans to support wp at all. What I've been doing is this. Every time some company decides to use windows phone for its work force, fleet etc (or surface!) I retweet the news with @square right at the beginning. I want them to know this platform is becoming more mainstream and they need to support it. What say y'all?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte