Local Scout live tile and location polling

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So, I decided to pin the Local Scout live tile to my home screen. However, I notice that anytime I go to my home screen, the location dot shows up for a while and stays until (I guess...?) my location is pulled, so that it can update the local scout live tile. I guess my question is, is there anyway for the polling to not be so constant all the time? I think its cool that it does, and is kind of like a Google Now card type thing to show you nearby things, but I think its causing my battery life to drain faster.

I guess I will just give up having the Local Scout live tile pinned. I'm confused, however, because when you first start Windows Phone 8 (after a hard reset or first time use), the Local Scout live tile is pinned without always polling your location. Is it because of the "suggestions for you" feature you enable for Local Scout?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It does seem to do what you said. I do not see any options for changing when it grabs your location (besides shutting off location all together which defeats the purpose). I can't imagine it would hurt your battery much but unpinning isn't too bad. It is only two taps away no matter where you are on the phone.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
It does seem to do what you said. I do not see any options for changing when it grabs your location (besides shutting off location all together which defeats the purpose). I can't imagine it would hurt your battery much but unpinning isn't too bad. It is only two taps away no matter where you are on the phone.

Yea, this is a good point, and this was always my reasoning behind taking it off my homescreen. I suppose the reason I like having it pinned now is because it is right there in my face and updating in real time based on my location, as opposed to me making the effort of finding stuff around me (similar to Google Now, but in live tile form). Seeing "You've been searching for Sushi Restaurants", with a restaurant name at the bottom (in live tile format) is really cool, and takes the effort out me having to think about hitting "search", then live tile icon, then filtering, swiping over, etc..; it's like I don't have to think about what I want to look for...it just shows it lol.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yea, this is a good point, and this was always my reasoning behind taking it off my homescreen. I suppose the reason I like having it pinned now is because it is right there in my face and updating in real time based on my location, as opposed to me making the effort of finding stuff around me (similar to Google Now, but in live tile form). Seeing "You've been searching for Sushi Restaurants", with a restaurant name at the bottom (in live tile format) is really cool, and takes the effort out me having to think about hitting "search", then live tile icon, then filtering, swiping over, etc..; it's like I don't have to think about what I want to look for...it just shows it lol.

I understand. I personally only use it when I am out of town, so it doesn't play a big role for me. Unless your battery is really suffering, I would just leave it there and be happy!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers