Why do high end Lumias have no SD Card slots?

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
To me, it doesn't matter how good looking it is: if it doesn't do the job, it's useless.

I am equally baffled at the lack of high end storage. I've always bought the model with the most storage whenever there's a choice.

Not offering a choice just seems like they're deciding to take less of my money.

Of course, the whole thing is complicated by the same set of problems that any type of smartphone would have: can I get the model I want; will I have to get it unlocked; will it have the right bands for my carrier. You'd think the storage issue is the one thing they could reasonably solve.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Not offering a choice just seems like they're deciding to take less of my money.

In 2013, not having the option to get 64Gb of storage in any of their phones is quite amazing. The 1020 is confirmed to have a 64Gb version coming in the future, but so far, no Nokia phone has more than 32Gb. That's lame. I wanted a 920 because I love its design, but without an SD slot or without 64Gb of storage, the 920 is inviable to me.

I really wanted to give Nokia my money, but they don't want to take it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
To be fair, they probably don't offer a choice because they just don't sell enough volume to make two versions. And people in general tend to buy the cheaper one. Only a small percentage buy the bigger one.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I really think this was a Microsoft thing.... Low ends have a MicroSD because of 4-8gb models, and even some 16gbs but, I would almost bet on the 8.5/9 models all the high end devices will have some type of expandable storage and the lower ends wont.

It sounds like a marketing upgrade for them. You picked up your phone a year ago but, the new models are out with high end features with expandable storage, more people will upgrade or try to upgrade to get more space.

albertdon

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
What i think is that maybe they don't want to compromise performance.. Like the video quality. They can guarantee that the videos taken from their phones are of excellent quality if the video is stored on the internal memory which i guess has comparable writing speed to the camera specs. Most likely, video quality is diminished (like skips in videos) when recording to SD cards with slow writing speed. So maybe nokia and other phone companies don't want that users complain about a rugged video taken from their phone, when in fact they are using SD card of low class. And for some phones with card slots like my lumia 822, nokia highly recommends to use their own sd cards, maybe for the same reason:)

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
MicroSD cards tend to have a high failure rate, even if one buys genuine SanDisk cards, not cheap brands.

I have multiple SD cards that are old and still working I used a 16GB card in my LG KM900 and HD2 for 3 years straight. Have an older 8GB card that my wife had in her Nokia N92 that she was using from 2007 until 2013 when i replaced it with a Lumia 900. I have several other cards that range from 2004-5 that are still functioning (One that started in the Wii and now lives on in the Wii U)

Maybe I have been lucky but all cards were Kingston Offician Nintendo Samsung or Sandisk (current card)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro