Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm really baffled why Nokia does not see the need to make SD card expansion a norm.
    I find it really wierd, most especially because it's the high end devices that lack the feature.

Consider that the Lumia 920/925/928/1020 are touted for it's photographic qualities. It would be nice for consumers to have a choice.
    And what if I want my Lumia to be my all around media device(ipod replacement)

Why does the Ativ S have a SD Card expansion.

I really don't see the logic or how can it be beneficial from a marketing standpoint, how does Nokia decide on these things.

Anyway I'm just ranting. Still love the Lumias.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Just my guess, but it's possible to get the OIS hardware in the phone there had to be some trade offs to keep the size reasonable. How much real estate was available for the sd card?

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by greedo_greedy View Post
    I'm really baffled why Nokia does not see the need to make SD card expansion a norm.
    I find it really wierd, most especially because it's the high end devices that lack the feature.

Consider that the Lumia 920/925/928/1020 are touted for it's photographic qualities. It would be nice for consumers to have a choice.
    And what if I want my Lumia to be my all around media device(ipod replacement)

Why does the Ativ S have a SD Card expansion.

I really don't see the logic or how can it be beneficial from a marketing standpoint, how does Nokia decide on these things.

Anyway I'm just ranting. Still love the Lumias.
    I agree. Having a SD slot and a removable battery are must haves for me. One of the many reasons I chose the Lumia 822 over the HTC 8X.
    @stmav
    I think you're right. Due to the movement of the entire stack, the inclusion of an sd card slot is difficult. They could have done it but that would have made their phones enormously thick

Global Posts
    16,607 Global Posts
    I think I'm going to be the dissenter here. Looking at an exploded view I don't see a reason why they couldn't have put a SD card in. We're talking Micro here. The Nokia N8 had a SD card and is about the same thickness as a L920. I would say this continues to all the other L92X phones. Looking at the 1020 I really don't see a reason behind it at all.

So in my mind they had a choice, either give us 64Gig of space (no reason why they couldn't) or give us a SD slot. I think the 64Gig would probably be cheaper personally.
    Ignorance, there is a cure.

I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing taken by my L920
    MikeSo likes this.

Global Posts
    1,750 Global Posts
    All an SD Card allows for is the storage of media on the ATIV S, to me having expandable storage is a big deal as I use my phone for music as well as photos and video.

I don't think this is a technical limitation at all, I think it's one based on market decisions. Nokia sees value in not having external storage on their high end devices. Simple as that. Why? Probably a simple ROI decision.

Quote Originally Posted by N_LaRUE View Post
    So in my mind they had a choice, either give us 64Gig of space (no reason why they couldn't) or give us a SD slot. I think the 64Gig would probably be cheaper personally.
    I agree. They should have given one of the 2 options. I wish they had picked 64Gb of built-in storage, since their phones don't reliably read 64Gb SD cards. I'm about to give up on WP8 because of the poor support to 64Gb microSDs.
    For the same reason we don't have 128GB devices yet.

32GB is enough for 99% of people who need a smartphone. So it's ok to loose 1%.
    because higher capacity models makes them more money.

Apple gets away with around $100 markups per capacity-tier
    example:
    iPod touch 5
    16 GB: $229
    32 GB: $299
    64 GB: $399

And people go for those, its the same hardware (see below, there's a slight difference with this iTouch generation) just with a bigger capacity memory chip.

But if they offered an SD slot, reasons to buy the otherwise seemingly logically more-expensive models evaporate. (why get the 32 GB when you can get the 16 GB and a 16 GB SD card for less than the markup?)

I know Apple's 16 GB 5th Gen is slightly stripped down, but its just a flaw with this specific example. (look at the previous model's price tiers, or even iPhone's)
    SD cannot be used for app storage - probably due to potential app availability and speed issues, but all other reasons pretty much go poof! You get more flexibility too.

The 820 probably exists to appeal to those who wanted some power-features.
    Thanked by:
    tcube 
    tcube and Rodrigo Mendes like this.

one of the reason may be,the built in memory is more reliable than 3rd party SD cards,so yet another premium feature for high end users
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Well, that's why I bought an 822 (But it's quite possibly the ugliest WP8 Lumia) LoL!!

Global Posts
    1,750 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun KR View Post
    one of the reason may be,the built in memory is more reliable than 3rd party SD cards,so yet another premium feature for high end users
    If you like being stuck with the built in storage with no possibility of storing media off the phone itself to allow more space for apps!!!!

Global Posts
    32,279 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by neo158 View Post
    If you like being stuck with the built in storage with no possibility of storing media off the phone itself to allow more space for apps!!!!
    MicroSD cards tend to have a high failure rate, even if one buys genuine SanDisk cards, not cheap brands.
    Rodrigo Mendes likes this.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    MicroSD cards tend to have a high failure rate, even if one buys genuine SanDisk cards, not cheap brands.
    No, just no
    xandros9 and OzRob like this.

I do think they're prioritizing form over function here.

Part of the mystique of these beautiful devices is that they sacrifice things in order to stay in line with a more grand purpose. Apple has proven that this works.

I do expect to see SD cards in the future, but we'll get some marketing/PR talk about how it was difficult to find a way to do it and still keep the beauty and seamlessness of the device. But after thousands of hours of designing and redesigning, they have finally found a way to put it in that was consistent with their design philosophy. Ta da! Introducing the Lumia 930.
    WPhoney likes this.
    yea it is true they want to keep it seamless, a SIM could be bad enough as it is?

I just want a grip with micro-SD for my 920...

On the 925 I think it would have been reasonable to add a SD card slot next to the microphone on the top, the left side of the device or the bottom and add a microsim like door for the SD card to make it look flush with the device.

Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    I do expect to see SD cards in the future, but we'll get some marketing/PR talk about how it was difficult to find a way to do it and still keep the beauty and seamlessness of the device. But after thousands of hours of designing and redesigning, they have finally found a way to put it in that was consistent with their design philosophy. Ta da! Introducing the Lumia 930.
    Classic! That kind of BS is typical of marketing departments! I could picture the whole thing in my mind while reading it.

But I think Nokia will increase the built-in storage before adding an microSD slot to the 900 series (and "messing" with the phones' seamless design). In my opinion, they'll release a 930 with 64Gb of storage by the Holidays. Perhaps it will be the rumoured upcoming phablet....

To me, it doesn't matter how good looking it is: if it doesn't do the job, it's useless.

I am equally baffled at the lack of high end storage. I've always bought the model with the most storage whenever there's a choice.

Not offering a choice just seems like they're deciding to take less of my money.

Of course, the whole thing is complicated by the same set of problems that any type of smartphone would have: can I get the model I want; will I have to get it unlocked; will it have the right bands for my carrier. You'd think the storage issue is the one thing they could reasonably solve.

Quote Originally Posted by drbanks View Post
    Not offering a choice just seems like they're deciding to take less of my money.
    In 2013, not having the option to get 64Gb of storage in any of their phones is quite amazing. The 1020 is confirmed to have a 64Gb version coming in the future, but so far, no Nokia phone has more than 32Gb. That's lame. I wanted a 920 because I love its design, but without an SD slot or without 64Gb of storage, the 920 is inviable to me.

I really wanted to give Nokia my money, but they don't want to take it.
    Thanked by:
    DavidinCT likes this.

To be fair, they probably don't offer a choice because they just don't sell enough volume to make two versions. And people in general tend to buy the cheaper one. Only a small percentage buy the bigger one.
    Rodrigo Mendes likes this.

Global Posts
    1,875 Global Posts
    I really think this was a Microsoft thing.... Low ends have a MicroSD because of 4-8gb models, and even some 16gbs but, I would almost bet on the 8.5/9 models all the high end devices will have some type of expandable storage and the lower ends wont.

It sounds like a marketing upgrade for them. You picked up your phone a year ago but, the new models are out with high end features with expandable storage, more people will upgrade or try to upgrade to get more space.
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

What i think is that maybe they don't want to compromise performance.. Like the video quality. They can guarantee that the videos taken from their phones are of excellent quality if the video is stored on the internal memory which i guess has comparable writing speed to the camera specs. Most likely, video quality is diminished (like skips in videos) when recording to SD cards with slow writing speed. So maybe nokia and other phone companies don't want that users complain about a rugged video taken from their phone, when in fact they are using SD card of low class. And for some phones with card slots like my lumia 822, nokia highly recommends to use their own sd cards, maybe for the same reason:-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast