This again?

Windows Central Podcast 37: Windows 10 Mobile is still dead

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By AR2186
  • 2 Post By tk-093
  1. GiftedSoul's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    As you may have caught on from the title, I'm looking to purchase the lumia 920 NOT the 928. I was planning on getting the Unlocked model (not AT&T) and Nokia told me that Verizon can activate the device by reconfiguring it to their standards via OTA. I also called Verizon about three times about the unlocked lumia 920 and they looked into it, saw that it was a AT&T exclusive (only for the first six months of its release) and said as long as there is no carrier branding and is LTE capable, they could activate it. I'm still a bit skeptical of this still even though Nokia and Verizon said this could be done. Has anyone used an Unlocked, non Verizon branded device on Verizon? I'm about to purchase so I would like some opinions. Thanks!
  2. LastBattle's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    234 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    AT&T = GSM, Verizon = CDMA.

    I don't think they are compatible.
  3. GiftedSoul's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Yeah. I asked that question but tech support didn't say anything about it. They still said its compatible for some reason.
  4. icstars989's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    203 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    No idea. Seems doubtful though, I wish VZ got the 920, love that look. You can use the 928 on att though just with no LTE. VZ bands are pretty specific to the US and a few other countries, I doubt a 920 branded or not kept that in mind.
  5. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,579 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,774 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    So... taken from Nokia Lumia 920 - Specifications - Nokia - USA -

    • LTE network bands3: 4, 17
    • LTE max data speed DL: 100 Mbps
    • LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps
    • WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 1700 - 2100 MHz, 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz
    • WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 42.2 Mbps
    • WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps
    • GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
    • GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
    • GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps


    Note the WCDMA network specs. Maybe that's why Verizon and Nokia think it will work? *shrug*
  6. AR2186's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    754 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GiftedSoul View Post
    As you may have caught on from the title, I'm looking to purchase the lumia 920 NOT the 928. I was planning on getting the Unlocked model (not AT&T) and Nokia told me that Verizon can activate the device by reconfiguring it to their standards via OTA. I also called Verizon about three times about the unlocked lumia 920 and they looked into it, saw that it was a AT&T exclusive (only for the first six months of its release) and said as long as there is no carrier branding and is LTE capable, they could activate it. I'm still a bit skeptical of this still even though Nokia and Verizon said this could be done. Has anyone used an Unlocked, non Verizon branded device on Verizon? I'm about to purchase so I would like some opinions. Thanks!
    it is not going to work properly. First off, you would need to get a version of the 920 that supports Verizon's LTE bands (band 13 I believe and the AWS band that is coming), and it will have to be capable of simultaneous voice and LTE (not sure if the 920 is capable, the 928 will be and already has the right bands).

    If you can find a version of the 920 that supports those specs, you will currently only be able to get LTE data speeds and will not have voice capabilities. Verizons voice runs on the 3g cdma network, their SMS runs on the 2g cdma network and data runs on LTE.

    Essentially, don't bother at the moment. In 2 years you can probably get away with using a world phone on their network, right now you can't. SVLTE has already been delays until next year, so it may be a while
  7. AR2186's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    754 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    So... taken from Nokia Lumia 920 - Specifications - Nokia - USA -

    • LTE network bands3: 4, 17
    • LTE max data speed DL: 100 Mbps
    • LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps
    • WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 1700 - 2100 MHz, 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz
    • WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 42.2 Mbps
    • WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps
    • GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
    • GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
    • GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps


    Note the WCDMA network specs. Maybe that's why Verizon and Nokia think it will work? *shrug*
    WCDMA is not CDMA, as misleading as it sounds, it is another name for UMTS and HSPA (GSM 3g). I can guarantee this will not work, at least not until they turn on voice over lte
  8. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,465 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    I'm pretty sure that WCDMA is not the same as CDMA. No CDMA radio means no phone calls/text messages.

    Edit: AR2186 beat me too it.
    iamtim and Laura Knotek like this.
  9. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,579 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,774 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by AR2186 View Post
    WCDMA is not CDMA, as misleading as it sounds, it is another name for UMTS and HSPA (GSM 3g). I can guarantee this will not work, at least not until they turn on voice over lte
    Well, there's that.

    It's possible, though, that a misinformed Verizon employee could easily confuse the two. I did. So, to the OP, tread carefully... you might wind up with a phone you can't use.
  10. DavidinCT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,248 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that WCDMA is not the same as CDMA. No CDMA radio means no phone calls/text messages.

    Edit: AR2186 beat me too it.
    I looked over this a while ago, WCDMA is not the same as CDMA(I beleve it's the Japan standard)....You might be able to use LTE if supported the bands but, you wont be able to fall back on 3G and Verizon's LTE network is good but, not that good yet.

    Trying to use a 920 on Verizon is pointless... I looked into it deep a while ago and not a good idea, sounds like it being very painfull to get it work, if it will work at all.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-26-2013, 11:21 AM
  2. Lumia 920 camera performance GDR2 / Amber update
    By maverick786us in forum The Photography Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-31-2013, 09:03 AM
  3. Problem after updating Lumia 920 - Amber Update
    By binoyshah in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-25-2013, 07:52 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2013, 12:29 AM
  5. Unable to sync hotmail with Lumia 920
    By Amit Kumar13 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 03:06 AM

Posting Permissions

";