Lumia 920 Verizon...

GiftedSoul

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As you may have caught on from the title, I'm looking to purchase the lumia 920 NOT the 928. I was planning on getting the Unlocked model (not AT&T) and Nokia told me that Verizon can activate the device by reconfiguring it to their standards via OTA. I also called Verizon about three times about the unlocked lumia 920 and they looked into it, saw that it was a AT&T exclusive (only for the first six months of its release) and said as long as there is no carrier branding and is LTE capable, they could activate it. I'm still a bit skeptical of this still even though Nokia and Verizon said this could be done. Has anyone used an Unlocked, non Verizon branded device on Verizon? I'm about to purchase so I would like some opinions. Thanks!

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
No idea. Seems doubtful though, I wish VZ got the 920, love that look. You can use the 928 on att though just with no LTE. VZ bands are pretty specific to the US and a few other countries, I doubt a 920 branded or not kept that in mind.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So... taken from Nokia Lumia 920 - Specifications - Nokia - USA -

• LTE network bands[SUP]3[/SUP]: 4, 17
  • LTE max data speed DL: 100 Mbps
  • LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps
  • WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 1700 - 2100 MHz, 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz
  • WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 42.2 Mbps
  • WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps
  • GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
  • GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
  • GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps

Note the WCDMA network specs. Maybe that's why Verizon and Nokia think it will work? *shrug*

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
As you may have caught on from the title, I'm looking to purchase the lumia 920 NOT the 928. I was planning on getting the Unlocked model (not AT&T) and Nokia told me that Verizon can activate the device by reconfiguring it to their standards via OTA. I also called Verizon about three times about the unlocked lumia 920 and they looked into it, saw that it was a AT&T exclusive (only for the first six months of its release) and said as long as there is no carrier branding and is LTE capable, they could activate it. I'm still a bit skeptical of this still even though Nokia and Verizon said this could be done. Has anyone used an Unlocked, non Verizon branded device on Verizon? I'm about to purchase so I would like some opinions. Thanks!
it is not going to work properly. First off, you would need to get a version of the 920 that supports Verizon's LTE bands (band 13 I believe and the AWS band that is coming), and it will have to be capable of simultaneous voice and LTE (not sure if the 920 is capable, the 928 will be and already has the right bands).

If you can find a version of the 920 that supports those specs, you will currently only be able to get LTE data speeds and will not have voice capabilities. Verizons voice runs on the 3g cdma network, their SMS runs on the 2g cdma network and data runs on LTE.

Essentially, don't bother at the moment. In 2 years you can probably get away with using a world phone on their network, right now you can't. SVLTE has already been delays until next year, so it may be a while

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
So... taken from Nokia Lumia 920 - Specifications - Nokia - USA -

• LTE network bands[SUP]3[/SUP]: 4, 17
  • LTE max data speed DL: 100 Mbps
  • LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps
  • WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 1700 - 2100 MHz, 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz
  • WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 42.2 Mbps
  • WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps
  • GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
  • GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
  • GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps

Note the WCDMA network specs. Maybe that's why Verizon and Nokia think it will work? *shrug*
WCDMA is not CDMA, as misleading as it sounds, it is another name for UMTS and HSPA (GSM 3g). I can guarantee this will not work, at least not until they turn on voice over lte

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that WCDMA is not the same as CDMA. No CDMA radio means no phone calls/text messages.

Edit: AR2186 beat me too it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
WCDMA is not CDMA, as misleading as it sounds, it is another name for UMTS and HSPA (GSM 3g). I can guarantee this will not work, at least not until they turn on voice over lte

Well, there's that.

It's possible, though, that a misinformed Verizon employee could easily confuse the two. I did. So, to the OP, tread carefully... you might wind up with a phone you can't use.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that WCDMA is not the same as CDMA. No CDMA radio means no phone calls/text messages.

Edit: AR2186 beat me too it.

I looked over this a while ago, WCDMA is not the same as CDMA(I beleve it's the Japan standard)....You might be able to use LTE if supported the bands but, you wont be able to fall back on 3G and Verizon's LTE network is good but, not that good yet.

Trying to use a 920 on Verizon is pointless... I looked into it deep a while ago and not a good idea, sounds like it being very painfull to get it work, if it will work at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss