I am STILL having problems connecting to my Microsoft account email..

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how many days it's been now.

The status shows fixed, but I still can't connect. Like a dummy, I reset my phone (hard reset) hoping this will fix the problem and it didn't.

It says "Hotmail error, blu-m.hotmail.com is currently unavailable. Try again later. Last tried 3min ago. Error code: 85010017"

Now it won't sync and I have no contacts or calendar appointments.

This is beyond unacceptable! Does anyone have any further info on this or know what I should do?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Maybe use your computer and go to Outlook.com and change your password. Dumb idea, I know. But it's helped me before in a situation just like you described when I was using webOS and trying to connect a Gmail account to it.

Mike Nichols2

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
@jkrc717 I'm also getting the same error (85010017) on my 928. Have had trouble syncing when the problem was happening for most people and it's still not working (even tho Microsoft says the issue has been resolved).

I found this old article, Support Code 85010017 - Microsoft Community, which basically suggested to sync less stuff and see if that works. I changed my sync settings to only do 3 days instead of 2 weeks on my phone, but that didn't help. Then I went into my email on my computer and deleted all messages with attachments (I get a lot of large .tif files) over the last three days since maybe that was too much to sync, but no dice. Haven't had trouble syncing those larger email attachments in the past, btw.

So I'm also at a loss and this is quickly escalating from irritating to crippling. I've already missed many impt msgs while on the go yesterday. Anyone have any ideas other than the nuclear option of reset?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how many days it's been now.

The status shows fixed, but I still can't connect. Like a dummy, I reset my phone (hard reset) hoping this will fix the problem and it didn't.

It says "Hotmail error, blu-m.hotmail.com is currently unavailable. Try again later. Last tried 3min ago. Error code: 85010017"

Now it won't sync and I have no contacts or calendar appointments.

This is beyond unacceptable! Does anyone have any further info on this or know what I should do?

I have a similar problem where my email would sync, but it wouldn't show the new mail I got. Meanwhile, the same account I use through Outlook RT shows tons of unread mail.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This is not WP8 specific problem. It is Outlook.com problem where ActiveSyncs are problematic in recent days due to some problems. Mine is in and out in last couple days. Microsoft has yet to offer any explanation about what caused these outages.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I experienced problems getting to an older, less used account. The problems never affected the account I sync to my phone.

Both accounts are ok as of yesterday morning.

Mike Nichols2

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Following up on my earlier post from this morning, I also tried (1) resetting my password, (2) changing the server under my Microsoft account settings to "m.hotmail.com" from "blu-m.hotmail.com" (but it changed back to blu-.m... automatically), and (3) unchecking the sync email box also in the MS account settings. I am still trying to download emails from only the last three days and moved all "large" emails (>1 MB) to a new folder so that my inbox wasn't as big data-wise.

Some combination of all that stuff allowed me to receive emails again!... for about 2 minutes. Then it went back to the same error (85010017).

For some odd reason, even though my email isn't syncing I'm still able to send emails from my phone's outlook account to my gmail account. So it seems to be able to send data from the account without a problem.

The rest of my phone is working great, btw. It has the Amber update and everything is running well.

Hope some of this is helpful in us troubleshooting what is going on. I don't know what else I can really do other than a hard reset (not sure why this would accomplish anything) or simply wait for MS to fix lingering issues. I just hope they know that some users are still affected from their outage and that they aren't going to ignore any lingering issues because they've already "fixed everything" according to Outlook Status.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Woke up to a synced phone, so maybe that's the end of it.. Hooray.

Lucky you... My Hotmail MS account says it's up-to-date, but I haven't had any new messages for days coming to my phone. When I log into Outlook RT for the same account, I see it. The server I use is still down I guess 😒

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft poste details about this outage:
Update and Resolution of Recent Outlook.com Outage We want to apologize to our customers who were affected by the outage on Outlook.com this week. We have restored access to all accounts and have made changes so that the service will be more resilient in the future. We realize that we have a responsibility to the customers who use our services to communicate and share with the people they care most about, and we apologize for letting those customers down this week. Our first priority is to the health of the services, and we will learn from this incident and work to improve the experience of all our customers. As part of that, we would also like to provide more detail about what happened. This incident was a result of a failure in a caching service that interfaces with devices using Exchange ActiveSync, including most smart phones. The failure caused these devices to receive an error and continuously try to connect to our service. This resulted in a flood of traffic that our services did not handle properly, with the effect that some customers were unable to access their Outlook.com email and unable to share their SkyDrive files via email. In order to stabilize the overall email service, we temporarily blocked access via Exchange ActiveSync. This allowed us to restore access to Outlook.com via the web and restore the sharing features of SkyDrive. These parts of the service were fully stabilized within a few hours of the initial incident. A significant backlog of Exchange ActiveSync requests accumulated as we worked to stabilize access. To avoid another flood of traffic, we needed to restore access to Exchange ActiveSync slowly, which meant that some customers remained impacted for a longer period of time. We have learned from this incident, and have made two key changes to harden our systems against future failure – one that involved increasing network bandwidth in the affected part of the system, and one that involved changing the way error handling is done for devices using Exchange ActiveSync. We will continue to monitor the system and make additional changes as needed to keep the service healthy. We are now fully through the backlog and have restored service so all customers should have normal access from all of their devices. We want to apologize to everyone who was affected by the outage, and we appreciate the patience you have shown us as we worked through the issues.

One of my outlook account still have disconnects this morning. So, I'm not sure if this has been fully resolved.

tollonodre

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Are people still having issues? Just noticed that I'm losing contacts and the Microsoft Account sync setting doesn't have a contact option anymore. Only email ( no contacts, no calendar, no tasks).

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that if you are all still having sync problems, you need to be devoting your energies towards Microsoft's Outlook.com team, not WPC. No one here is going to be able to fix it. The outlook.com team, however... they can.

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
go to settings>email + accounts and check to see if there are any errors

if need be add your account again

set the correct time on your device and restart

should be fixed

marvolio2000

May 3, 2014
Visit site
my account hasn't synced for 2 months now but i am suspecting the server is the problem probably I tempered with it mistakenly when my phones screen was bad, I use @outlook.com and the server showing is dub407-m.hotmail.com . can someone tell me the correct server for outlook.com on windows phone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb