Bing Weather: Does anyone else's live tile not update?

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
11 right now

See my post above in this thread about going into all your apps settings and disable/turn off any live tiles and/or background agents there to minimize how many you have active. They don't all show up in the settings -> background tasks list. It seems people have problems with live tiles becoming intermittent and/or dead if you have too many running. (15 or so seems to be the consensus at the moment, but it may vary)

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have gone in and now only have 5 apps allowed for background tasks. I also went through a bunch of the apps and look for setting about live tiles and disabled those if I wasn't using them.

I installed Lync recently, I wonder if that has anything to do with anything.

I don't know how long it is supposed to take Bing finance to update itself. It is 12:01 and the last update is for 11:22. Also still waiting to see if Amazing Weather HD updates.

The Bing lock screen image is still old. I don't know how to make that update again. I hope that it work again, I really like that.

I like Amazing Weather HD, but honestly have not had much luck with their live tile.

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have tried a lot of stuff in this thread. Live tiles are still not updating.

For the lock screen, I changed it from Bing to something else and then back to Bing and the picture changed. I guess I won't know until tomorrow if it updates.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
the lockscreen was updating but not the Tile...got annoyed and just uninstalled and reinstalled Weatherflow.

Mike Bowman

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I spoke too soon, my live tile still thinks that it is Wednesday! Once opened the Bing weather app is working correctly so it is only the "live" tile that has gone to sleep, although it keeps flipping and showing Wednesday weather. I only have about 3 programs working in the background on my 520. So apparently no fix yet....

Laslow

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 620 and Bing Weather. I found Bing Weather receives new temperature data only about 4 times a day: once in the morning (today 7C), once midday (now 13C), etc. So, some minutes before midday it shows the temperature 7C on the live tile, on the lockscreen, and in the Bing Weather app after refreshing too! After some minutes it receives the fresh temperature data and 7C changed to 13C on every place. I find this every day. Other weather apps work perfectly. (I use Weather Flow and Amazing Weather, these work perfectly, refresh current data successively.) I would love if Bing Weather could use a data source that gives actual data, not only the last known data that is updated only about in every 6 hours.

Mike Bowman

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, my live tiles are now working again properly, but only since I installed Accuweather, which seems to have shamed Bing into working properly. I have now both working and am wondering if Bing will still work if I uninstall Accuweather... It does seem that there are rather a lot of unknown unknowns in this application!

Mike

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Mine seems to be updating maybe 3-5 times a day. I haven't done anything since I first noticed it stopped updating altogether. It must be an issue on Bing's servers.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issues. I only have Bing weather and wpcentral running in background, and my lockscreen and live tile will show the same temperature, but at night, maybe around 10 or so, the tile will start working and everything updates as usual. And then come maybe 9 am or so it stops again. Same issue on my gf's 920 (which is also what I have) and my mom's 8X. I've tried unistalling, reinstalling, uninstalling soft reset, and even clearing temp files. Buy nothing. Really hating this issue... So lame. And no officials are speaking up or acknowledging it!

Mike Bowman

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I think that this must be something to do with Bing's servers if it is also affecting HTC devices, so not a Lumia issue. After working for a couple of days again my live tile is still presenting yesterday's weather. If I open Bing weather then it is up to date, but the live tile remains showing Sunday as being today, (on Monday). At the same time Accuweather's live tile updates correctly. I have them both operating now for comparisons, other live tiles are also working correctly as well.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Really sad that a basic weather app from Microsoft is performing so poorly. There have been complaints for weeks without any action from Microsoft. Boo. Hiss.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Live tiles not updating is too common a problem on this platform. They are not reliable. It was driving me crazy on my old 920. Once I got a replacement (for another issue) the problem seems to have gone away.

Flipping live tiles also drives me crazy, especially when developers don't put anything useful on one of the tiles. What's the point of that? Just because you can make it flip doesn't mean it should from a usability point. It's like the html blink tag from the late 90s.

Mike Bowman

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I have done with Bing Weather, not only does it only update the live tile every couple of days or so but also the weather information is hopeless, for some reason it has decided that it is doing its job by deciding that night temperatures here are always +7 degrees Centigrade. Of course they are not and most nights the temperature descends to around 0 degrees. In the mean time Accuweather updates its live tile correctly and sufficiently frequently and the weather indications correspond very closely with local forecasts. Bing Weather might have better esthetics but at the moment it is useless as an app. I'll come back here in a month or too to see if a miracle has happened and it works correctly. In the mean time it will be uninstalled...
Mike

WP Fan

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I tried everything mentioned earlier in thread and found that removing a recently installed app, Zillow, allowed Bing Weather to update on live tile.

Try to remember when the live tile quit working and uninstall anything that was installed during that time frame. Worked for me. :wink:

Mike Bowman

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I tried everything mentioned earlier in thread and found that removing a recently installed app, Zillow, allowed Bing Weather to update on live tile.

Try to remember when the live tile quit working and uninstall anything that was installed during that time frame. Worked for me. :wink:

Well Bing Weather never worked correctly for me and I have only WhatsApp, and AccuWeather as live tiles in addition to Data Sense. I only installed AccuWeather after I found that Bing Weather was not performing properly. I also removed WhatsApp as well to see if there was any effect. Even if Bing Weather started updating its live tile reliably, (updating every couple of days is not acceptable!), it would still not be acceptable as the weather information is completely wrong for this region. (Around Geneva Switzerland).

AccuWeather manages to have correct information as well as updating its live tile.

Mike

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok - this might be stating the obvious, but I had the same issues with the tile not updating.

I was pinning the weather app to the start but what I needed to do was pin the town page to start (from within the app itself).

then it worked perfectly.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Bing Weather's live tile not updating reliably is not just a Windows Phone problem. The live tile for the Windows 8.1/RT app on my PC and Surface tablet doesn't update regularly either. It's pretty pathetic that the live tile for Microsoft's own app doesn't update as it should.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786