Bing Weather: Does anyone else's live tile not update?

waqqas31

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I've tried everything:

Uninstall/reinstall
Unpin/Pin again
Medium tile/small tile
Location services on/off

And still my "live tile" will not update until and unless I tap it to open the app, making the concept of a live tile pointless.

Am I the only one or are other people experiencing the same thing?

Does anyone have a fully-functioning live tile for Bing Weather?

I was using Accuweather before and while not perfect, it at least updated the live tile 50% of the time!

Thanks in advance

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
How many apps do you have shown in the background apps in settings. That could be causing a failure to update in weather or other live tiles Also check your settings in the app maybe your automatic update was turned off somehow or check and see if the update data only while on wifi if set to on.

waqqas31

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
How many apps do you have shown in the background apps in settings. That could be causing a failure to update in weather or other live tiles Also check your settings in the app maybe your automatic update was turned off somehow or check and see if the update data only while on wifi if set to on.

I only have 3 apps running in the background: Bing Weather, Gas Buddy and WP Central!

I checked all those other settings many times. No clue as to what's causing it not to update.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I WAS having the problem, but I think it is working now. I think what made it work was a Setting in the Bing app. Under Permissions, I turned on the "update data only when on WiFi". Weather app now seems to be updating.

waqqas31

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I WAS having the problem, but I think it is working now. I think what made it work was a Setting in the Bing app. Under Permissions, I turned on the "update data only when on WiFi". Weather app now seems to be updating.

As much as I want to believe you, I don't think that will work unless I'm always connected on WiFi.

I'm giving it a try anyway :)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

So are you actually on WiFi? Or are you saying the thing updates over cellular even though you checked update wifi only?

I have unlimited 4G so I never use WiFi. That wouldn't be an option. I mean, it's not like I care if it updates or not, but if MS can't get their own apps rights... well.....

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Apparently, that may have allowed the tile to update, but I just noticed that the app itself wasn't updating. It was offline. So I'm not sure that setting really did anything.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My tile updates. I remember when I first installed it I was hoping for a tile that flips but I guess it doesn't work that way. In any case the weather and background do change. I'm always online either on WiFi or 4g

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

waqqas31

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I've given up for the time being and switched back to Accuweather. Their medium tile actually flips and shows the "Feels Like" temperature, which I find very useful.

Let's just hope this one keeps updating like it used to! Even my WPCentral toast notifications and live tile updates have stopped.... something may not be right...

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
There is another thread about this in the 928 forum, but about live tiles in general. None of mine (except for built-in email/text) are working since Amber upgrade. Are you on Amber/GDR2?

Jetface

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity do you have Nokia's App Social Beta installed? I noticed when that was installed that none of my tiles (including Bing Weather) were updating. After uninstalling it everything started working again.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiosity do you have Nokia's App Social Beta installed? I noticed when that was installed that none of my tiles (including Bing Weather) were updating. After uninstalling it everything started working again.

No, but you might be onto something.. could be some random app causing it. I swore I remember a thread for forever ago with that happening... If only there was a way to tell the order of what I've installed lately so I can remove one at a time to find the culprit... if indeed there is a culprit.....

UPDATE: Doh! I do have the app social beta installed.. I was looking for Nokia App Social, but it shows up as just App Social.. Uninstalling and rebooting to see if that fixes anything.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
BOOM!!!!

That did it! I uninstalled App Social and my live tiles all started working again. I did unpin and repin my Bing Sports and Bing News tiles, but I did NOT unpin the Me tile so I think simply uninstalling App Social did it. (I did reboot after the uninstall, but that might not have been needed either.)

Thank you, sir Jetface!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb