Duplicate photos in camera roll

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Just recently started getting up to 4 copies of a photo in the camera roll. Not consistent either. Sometimes it will be fine, then will glitch. Suspect it has to do with sharing to SkyDrive.

Seen the problem around the internet but no solution.

Any ideas, superstar forum users?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just recently started getting up to 4 copies of a photo in the camera roll. Not consistent either. Sometimes it will be fine, then will glitch. Suspect it has to do with sharing to SkyDrive.

Seen the problem around the internet but no solution.

Any ideas, superstar forum users?

How about some more information?

Are your photos on SD card? Do you have GDR2 update? Etc.

Since you have an 820 and if you are saving to SD card it may be the culprit. My wife had a corrupt SD card and it she lost pictures. Also I believe this has been an issue discussed on here before and I believe the GDR2 update fixes this. Not sure.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Other thing to consider: What social networking apps are you using? There was a while there when the Twitter app would make a duplicate of a picture whenever you tweeted such picture. It got fixed after an update thankfully.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Pics on SD card, no GDR2 yet, sharing to Facebook and to a lesser extent twitter.

I'm wondering about my card actually as it's recently been reformatted. Having shedloads of problems with music corruption on it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Pics on SD card, no GDR2 yet, sharing to Facebook and to a lesser extent twitter.

I'm wondering about my card actually as it's recently been reformatted. Having shedloads of problems with music corruption on it.

I'd recommend getting a new card. My wife's appeared fine then she started having issues uploading to Facebook and we eventually found out she didn't really have the pictures, just a thumbnail (even though the file size appeared correct). I just bought a new 32gig class 10. All is well so far.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, from day 1, and finally pulled my sd card. I had a SanDisk 32GB class 10. If I was going to use a card again, I'd probably get a class 6, from what I read they work better with this phone for whatever reason. It's also possible that GDR2 fixes the issue but I don't know yet.

-E

Siddhartha Vuriti1

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
its not only the problem with sd card. the software itself is buggy. i faced it for photos and even in xbox music too. but i reinstalled the software using NCS and got fixed..

vimal25

May 23, 2013
Visit site
No use with GDR2 /AMBER update. I too facing the same problem duplication of files :crying:
bug has not been fixed yet....
.annoying problem :O

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I've just had to do a complete hard reset.
I was getting duplicate everything, so I pulled my SD card out.
I took some photos and every one was replicated. As soon as I took it it was doubled in the camra roll preview via the camera.

The hard rest has sorted it but there's something more fundamental than using the SD card at work here.

ze3zo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue after creating a folder inside camera roll folder and moved some pics there, so now I have tons of not just duplication but 20 or even 30 instances of the same photo...

This might been a stupid move, but I just wanted to organize my pics by subject.. it looks like that is not possible..

btw micro sd card is class 10 16Gb sandisk.. it's supposed to be good....:unhappy:

kelokera

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I sell my android device cuz I was tired of the lag... I buy a Lumia 810, and to compensate the memory I buy a 32gb SanDisk Ultra... OMFG!! What a mistake... The music is a disaster... As much as 4 of the same song... The information just get crazy with the time... It shows no artist name or what ever it wants... The pics? 4 for some... I fix it making a back up on my PC and formatting the SD and manually erasing my gallery, cuz this stupid **** shows the pics after the format... All this on Amber... Now I install Update 3... I'll taste it and see WTF... If they don't fix it I don't know what to do... Cuz I really want a Nokia phone... But this is bull****... Symbian was ******* better...

Svirala

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I got this bug after updated to amber
Same here
Using Lumia 720 without SD card and every photo taken has two thumbnails in CameraRoll folder. After every photo editing (crop or anything) it adds another 2.
Microsoft didn't mention the fix for this in their GDR3 ether.

nijo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I had such a problem on my 520. I have about 4000 troll photos on my computer and wanted them copied to my phone. When I did copy them to my SD card on my phone via cable, that was the beginning of my nightmare. Photos in one albums were duplicated, triplicated and there's this instance where a certain photo had about 40 copies. What's the word for that? Fortriplicated? :D
Anyway, I had to eject the mem card, format it then try copying it directly on the computer before putting it back to my phone. This time, my phone did not display the photos at once but there was an 'updating' bar just above the photos hub page that was progressing so slowly, it was like downloading a 1080p video using gprs. When it did, the top most photos show just fine, but as you go down, they started duplicating. And voila, 2GB of my 'other' storage was gone! I haven't got the amber update yet, I hear it's supposed to fix that 'other' storage bug. Also on my mem card space bar, it should that I had -688000000bytes of other storage. I was worried and formatted it again.

After adding the photos again, some more 1.5GB of my phone memory went again to the 'other' pit but this time, it said all my albums were empty even the camera roll. Even after taking new photos, the camera roll album still read: 'it's lonely in here'

I tried restarting the phone but nothing. And now I was faced with another problem, I had 166kb of free memory left in the phone.

I didn't hang myself though, I just decided to hard reset my phone. I backed up everything I had but still lost all my apps, some text messages and all whatsapp messages. And the fact that windows phone does not allow you to save whatsapp audio and videos... I lost some pretty good content there. Damn you windows phone.

So now I've changed my memory card and using the windows phone app for windows 8 on my laptop and it copied just fine. My 'other' storage is just fine. Thanks God I keep my music on my iPod otherwise this nightmare would be worse.

So people, use that app to sync your stuff. It work fine for even music. MS just had to copy the iPhone and show us how awesome Apple is. Don't forget to uncheck Xbox music sync.

Sent from Tapatalk

ashishdgamer

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys.. Voila..turn off the auto save incoming photos/images options in chatting apps like whatsapp (specially whatsapp) and any others like wechat. It will not remove the already duplicated pics but henceforth no pics will be duplicated.. reply a like/thanks if you find this helpful..

Andrew_12191a

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I was very hopeful when I saw your message, but it hasn't worked for me. Switched of the auto save function and I even removed the entire Whatsapp application. The problem still excist.

It has nothing to do with a wrong SD-card or something like that. It doesn't matter how you copy your files to your phone (using Windows Explorer or the Windows Phone Desktop app).
I had this problem since a few weeks. I didn't had an update for my phone, as far as I can remember.

Today I did a 'hard-reset' and went back to factory settings, after that I copied all the files back to the Camera Roll directory and guess what..?? I've got no duplicate files anymore, so my problem is solved!!!

Last edited:

phillosis

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
After deleting large video files around 2 GB each from my SD card attached to a Lumia 810, thumbnail duplicates appeared on my "camera roll". Deleting one thumbnail deletes all pictures with that thumbnail, so don't do that!

Now without further ado, I present a simple fix:

1) Attach phone to windows computer using micro USB
2) Browse to "camera roll" of phone using the computer
3) Cut all pictures/videos from camera roll to a folder on the computer using computer (windows explorer)
4) Finally, cut all pictures/videos from folder BACK TO the "camera roll" folder
5) Verify that there are no more duplicates

NOTE: when I did step 3, I was actually in "camera roll" on my phone looking at my pictures. After cutting all files in step 3, your phone should update displaying a message just like it would if there are no pictures/videos in "camera roll". Lastly, when all files were pasted back into "camera roll", the phone did not update with the pictures/videos. I had to press the back button and then go into "camera roll" once more to see that there are no more duplicates.

Richi_Ric

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes this works. +1

After deleting large video files around 2 GB each from my SD card attached to a Lumia 810, thumbnail duplicates appeared on my "camera roll". Deleting one thumbnail deletes all pictures with that thumbnail, so don't do that!

Now without further ado, I present a simple fix:

1) Attach phone to windows computer using micro USB
2) Browse to "camera roll" of phone using the computer
3) Cut all pictures/videos from camera roll to a folder on the computer using computer (windows explorer)
4) Finally, cut all pictures/videos from folder BACK TO the "camera roll" folder
5) Verify that there are no more duplicates

NOTE: when I did step 3, I was actually in "camera roll" on my phone looking at my pictures. After cutting all files in step 3, your phone should update displaying a message just like it would if there are no pictures/videos in "camera roll". Lastly, when all files were pasted back into "camera roll", the phone did not update with the pictures/videos. I had to press the back button and then go into "camera roll" once more to see that there are no more duplicates.

lsattle

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
This all on a lumia 521 with 8 gig of internal storage and a 4 gig sd card.
I had unbelievable results trying to get rid of the duplicate pictures. (5 to 10 to 20 copies of most)
I copied them to my pc. Then, on the wp sd card, I selected all pictures and deleted all pictures.
Even with them all deleted they showed up in the "camera roll".
Got me wondering if a copy of them ended up on my internal disk. But there was like 1 to 2 gig of them and my internal memory was and still is stressed.
I looked at used space on the sd card, and just 8 meg of 4 gig used.
I formatted the sd card and then all was well.
I had to tell the phone to store the pictures on the sd card
I took a sample picture to get the sub directories built.
I copied all my pictures back to the sd card, Both to CameraRoll directory and SavedPictures directory.
Now the sd card shows used 1,062,789,120 (.98gb), free 2,878,808,064 (2.68gb)
On my pc I had always just seen 1 copy of the pictures in the directory structure, but the phone must be keeping some other information on the sd card because when I started messing around I believe the sd card was using around 3 gig of the 4 gig.
Now the duplicates are gone in the camera roll, but I have to say it has wrongly coded a number of pictures from July and August, etc and put them in Dec 2013. A number has stayed in July and August, but a few a miss dated.

ksssksss

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
This is pathetic, what we have to do because of lazy programmers at microsoft. Have been fixing for many hours with duplicates in my music library. Solved that problem with some ideas from that thread, just to find out I got duplicates in my photo album instead. As a user of all 3 big os for phones, and started to test windows 2-3 month ago, I must say that this problem is the most stupid I have seen. iOS has its drawbacks, but as it is today, mostly by design choices by apple. Android, is starting to come together. By function the best, but still some nasty bugs here and there. For windows, feels almost ok, if it wasn't for the duplicates. How can they fail to solve this? Disappointing..

edit: tried phillosis solution, but no go. The sd card has been formated many times, due to the duplicate problem with the music. For now, my test with windows phone is over, and I'm going back to android and s4. Windows 8 seems not to be ready yet, hopefully 8.1 will be that.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb