XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

New or refurbed?

Is a refurbed Surface right for you?

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
Like Tree54Likes
  1. krox1105's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I hope we all remember a Nokia flagship from the past: the N97.
    If you don't, go check it out here: Nokia N97 - Full phone specifications

    When I first saw that phone, I was really amazed by the grandeur it displayed. A magnificent front, and a back with a kickstand. But of course, the main point of attraction was the slide out QWERTY keyboard. I have really been a big fan of this design (and the slightly revised version: the n97 mini) ever since it came out. I really have been having cravings for a windows phone like this.

    Maybe Nokia could reuse a little of its past. Take that magnificent Symbian phone and reskin it with Windows phone :)
    And the heavenly slide out Qwerty!
    Too bad no one save for blackberry (which I would never, NEVER buy) now makes phones with real keyboards.

    What are your thoughts about the N97 WP version? Would you like a hardware qwerty windows phone? Would you like a Lumia like the N97?
    I sure would :)
  2. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,653 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,716 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I've never been a fan a sliders. I had an E62 and an E71 then switched to BlackBerry (9000/9700).

    I would never use a device with a physical keypad again, since I've gotten used to touchscreen devices and prefer them.

    I don't see a big market for physical keypad devices. There are a few Android devices with physical keypads (Motorola makes some), but they aren't big sellers.
  3. cj-m's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I would vote for a remake of the N900 as a WP
  4. krox1105's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    I would never use a device with a physical keypad again, since I've gotten used to touchscreen devices and prefer them.
    This was the thing with this form factor! It was all touch screen if you wanted, and a physical keyboard was there if you needed it! It was kinda the best of both worlds, compromising a little bit on thickness though.
  5. Oakdale Dude's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    120 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    I've never been a fan a sliders. I had an E62 and an E71 then switched to BlackBerry (9000/9700).

    I would never use a device with a physical keypad again, since I've gotten used to touchscreen devices and prefer them.

    I don't see a big market for physical keypad devices. There are a few Android devices with physical keypads (Motorola makes some), but they aren't big sellers.
    There is always going to be that segment of the market that wants the physical keyboard on their phone, but I think it's getting smaller and smaller. I think many of the previous QWERTY keyboard lovers have accepted the reality of all touch as devices with keyboards are getting harder and harder to find.
  6. krox1105's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cj-m View Post
    I would vote for a remake of the N900 as a WP
    Yeah I get that :)
    The N900 was one hell of a device! And that Maemo...i feel bad that Nokia abandoned it. But here we are with Windows Phone now and I love it more than any other mobile OS ;)
  7. krox1105's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakdale Dude View Post
    There is always going to be that segment of the market that wants the physical keyboard on their phone, but I think it's getting smaller and smaller. I think many of the previous QWERTY keyboard lovers have accepted the reality of all touch as devices with keyboards are getting harder and harder to find.
    Hardcore texters like me ;)

    And it served as a great kickstand too! :D
  8. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,368 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,374 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    A few years back MSFT put a patent on interchangeable sliding covers. One was a keyboard, one was a game controller, etc. They need to dust that off as it would likely be a good selling feature.
  9. Szeifryl Varona's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    The nokia e7
  10. awilliams1701's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    471 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    I may be used to using the touchscreen on the nokia 928, but I hate the fact that half the screen disappears when the keyboard pops up. QWERTY sliders are superior because it makes you get full use out of your screen at all times. I wish they made an HTC Arrive 2 because I would have bought that.
    lippidp likes this.
  11. cj-m's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by krox1105 View Post
    Yeah I get that :)
    The N900 was one hell of a device! And that Maemo...i feel bad that Nokia abandoned it. But here we are with Windows Phone now and I love it more than any other mobile OS ;)
    Yup! It also came with a nifty little kick stand I think the whole package (N900 and Maemo) was extremely underrated and under appreciated. Anyway, my N900 is still my go to back up phone, always kept charged and in the bottom of the bag.
    krox1105 and nohra like this.
  12. krox1105's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cj-m View Post
    Yup! It also came with a nifty little kick stand I think the whole package (N900 and Maemo) was extremely underrated and under appreciated. Anyway, my N900 is still my go to back up phone, always kept charged and in the bottom of the bag.
    I wish I could a N900 in reality :)
    There was a certain beastly appearance in the old Nokia flagships.
  13. krox1105's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by awilliams1701 View Post
    I may be used to using the touchscreen on the nokia 928, but I hate the fact that half the screen disappears when the keyboard pops up. QWERTY sliders are superior because it makes you get full use out of your screen at all times. I wish they made an HTC Arrive 2 because I would have bought that.
    Slider qwerty (with that Nokia tilt) was such an innovative design...i wonder why would people not like it.
    nohra likes this.
  14. krox1105's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    A few years back MSFT put a patent on interchangeable sliding covers. One was a keyboard, one was a game controller, etc. They need to dust that off as it would likely be a good selling feature.
    Any reference link? I want to see them :)
    nohra likes this.
  15. krox1105's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Szeifryl Varona View Post
    The nokia e7
    That phone was so manly. I really think Nokia can learn a thing or two from its past Symbian flagships.
    WanderingTraveler and nohra like this.
  16. WanderingTraveler's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,976 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,997 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    +1 to the Nokia E7 design. All we need is support for landscape on the Start Screen and preinstalled apps, and were all set!
  17. krox1105's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #17  
    I wonder what's so difficult about making a landscape start screen...
  18. WanderingTraveler's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,976 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,997 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by krox1105 View Post
    I wonder what's so difficult about making a landscape start screen...
    You can ask the same about the portait Win8 Start Screen.
  19. krox1105's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTraveler View Post
    You can ask the same about the portait Win8 Start Screen.
    But...Win8 does have portrait start screen, right?
  20. WanderingTraveler's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,976 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,997 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by krox1105 View Post
    But...Win8 does have portrait start screen, right?
    Yeah, but the question is, is the implementation good enough?
    One only haas to look at the preinstalled apps and the start screen itself to find out.
    Besides, Win8 Start Screen looks horrible in portrait.
  21. krox1105's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #21  
    Well...something's better than nothing. And maybe there are fixes and optimizations in Windows 8.1.
  22. nohra's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakdale Dude View Post
    There is always going to be that segment of the market that wants the physical keyboard on their phone, but I think it's getting smaller and smaller. I think many of the previous QWERTY keyboard lovers have accepted the reality of all touch as devices with keyboards are getting harder and harder to find.
    I would personally be fine with no physical Qwerty board IF there were at least ARROW KEYS either physically on the phone or on the virtual keyboard. That is what I loved most about physical slide out Qwertys; the fact that I could just arrow back or up or down to move around my text. I realize I can tap and hold and then move the cursor around. But sometimes that causes you to move around the page too fast and you can't get it right where you want.

    But by far, a Lumia 1020 with a physical slide-out qwerty would be just about as perfect as the future could get (I realize there's no way that could really be physically possible and keep a decent shape to the phone, but i can dream).
    lippidp, WinFan1 and snowmutt like this.
  23. TechFreak1's Avatar

    Posts
    3,415 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,416 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTraveler View Post
    +1 to the Nokia E7 design. All we need is support for landscape on the Start Screen and preinstalled apps, and were all set!
    Yup, that is the same thing I'm hoping for and oh with the pelican array with OIS would be nice :P
  24. lippidp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    428 Posts
    Global Posts
    430 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakdale Dude View Post
    There is always going to be that segment of the market that wants the physical keyboard on their phone, but I think it's getting smaller and smaller. I think many of the previous QWERTY keyboard lovers have accepted the reality of all touch as devices with keyboards are getting harder and harder to find.
    Consumers are fickle. Keyboards are not in style now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a comeback. Nokia needs to create the trends, not follow them, if they ever want to be top dog. Samsung brought back the stylus and made it "cool" with the Note, after many had claimed the stylus was dead. The thing about trends is that at some point people realize that the trend was stupid and then settle on something more practical.
    nohra and snowmutt like this.
  25. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,368 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,374 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by krox1105 View Post
    Any reference link? I want to see them :)
    I'm sure there is a reference to it out there somewhere. I'm not going to look it up. I'm just basing it off memory.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 09:26 AM
  2. Question about auto rotate
    By Raigne in forum Nokia Lumia 928
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 02:19 AM
  3. Poor Placement of SSpeaker and Microphone
    By Smyrna5 in forum Nokia Lumia 521
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM
  4. How to buy a phone at Microsoft Store Online/Phone
    By WayCool in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 02:56 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 02:04 PM

Posting Permissions