will our updates ever have names again?

Subserved_Meteor

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Reading about all the news about GDR2 and GDR3 left me wondering, what ever happened to the "names" our updates used to have?
I remember back on wp7 my first update was NoDo, then came Mango, Tango, Apollo etc...it was even reported here on WPCentral that all updates end in "-o".

I actually found this a nice little feature...but it seems we're going more the iOS kind of way with naming the updates now with numbers instead of nifty names.

It isn't a bad thing...I was just wondering what ever happened to the names? :)

gothfebrio

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Its like this
MS RTM -> GDR1(Portico) -> GDR2
NK PR1.0 -> PR1.1 -> PR1.1.5 -> PR2.0(Amber) -> not sure the improved amber is PRwhat.

maybe if MS give a name to their update, nokia wont? Haha. Just to avoid confusion i guess.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
GDR2 sort of is a name, just an acronym. Also, WP 8.1 does have a name - WP Blue. Perhaps they are saving the "names" for major releases..?

Subserved_Meteor

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
GDR2 sort of is a name, just an acronym. Also, WP 8.1 does have a name - WP Blue. Perhaps they are saving the "names" for major releases..?

hmm...yeah, I was playing with that thought too...that they could be saving the names for the bigger updates. Although, as I recall, NoDo wasn't a major update though, was it?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You're right. It's not a bad thing. They could name the update " . "

Hell, I don't care. Once it does what it has to do :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Also, WP 8.1 does have a name - WP Blue.

Strictly speaking, that isn't true. Blue is the name of the project as used internally at Microsoft. Blue is not the name of the product/update. On the internet it has just come to mean the same thing, but it isn't what Microsoft calls it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos