Forcing WP to use 3G-only

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
if it's disabled for your device, you can always deploy "Native Toast Launcher", enter the uri and it works. For more info, just check out the native toast launcher thread at xda, I don't know if hot linking to other forums is allowed here..

Rasahi

May 20, 2013
Visit site
This looks complicated for normal users. Can't install windows phone power tool on my mobile. Not sure why Nokia and Microsoft make this complicated.

Sent from my RM-937_im_mea3_1019 using Tapatalk

Allan Cantillo M

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I just received my new Lumia 1520. I previously had the Lumia 900 and it was a real pain the problem of signal auto switching between 2G-3G. Then I found out how to lock the band to 3G with the ##3282# Field Test.
With the Lumia 1520 I am having the exact same problems with the auto switch between 2G-3G, the battery suffers, and the connection is unpredictable in the same exact place (problems I had before with L900, but fixed with ##3282#). Is there any way to have this test field, or similar functionality on the Lumia 1520? The regular setting of "Highest connection speed" in "mobile network" of "Settings" does not offer a solution. It should have "Lowest connection speed" or similar.
Thanks in advance

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
okay, step by step.
1. download the WP8 SDK, install it (you need win8, if you don't have it, get arnoldvink's lite sdk: Arnold Vink's Personal Website)
2. start the Windows Phone developer registration tool, unlock your phone with your live ID
3. deploy Native Toast Launcher to your phone with the Application Deployment Tool
get Native toast launcher here: [XAP][SOURCE] Native Toast Notification Launcher - xda-developers
4. start the app, paste this code into the field: app://2377fe1b-c10f-47da-92f3-fc517345a3c0/_default#/Launcher;component/MainPage.xaml?DialString=3282
5. launch the toast notification, and by clicking it, it'll open the field test menu. Do what you want with it, I don't know if it can damage your phone.. if the page is blank, your phone doesn't support locking the band from Nokia's side, if it works, it was the region/carrier blocking it.

Rasahi

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Thomas, those steps are for those who knows what they are doing. Some of us it just looks complicated, as we are not sure where to run those links. I.e in Desktop or in Mobile.

Rasahi

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Still can't get it. Now i have another phone which i can force 3g. When i am at home, i make it as hotspot. Activate WiFi on my Lumia and every one at home they can enjoy Internet.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thomas, those steps are for those who knows what they are doing. Some of us it just looks complicated, as we are not sure where to run those links. I.e in Desktop or in Mobile.

Ok, I'll try to make it more simple. Note: you need Win8 with 64bit, or Win 7 (but also 64bit)
1. Install the Windows Phone SDK or Arnold Vink's Lite SDK on your pc.
2. Connect your phone to your PC, start "Windows Phone Developer Registration Tool"
3. Click unlock, login with your live ID and follow the steps of it to unlock your phone (it's really simple)
4. download the native toast launcher from [XAP][SOURCE] Native Toast Notification Launcher - xda-developers
5. Open "Application Deployment" on your pc. select the native toast launcher cap, click deploy
6. start native toast launcher on your phone, paste "app://2377fe1b-c10f-47da-92f3-fc517345a3c0/_default#/Launcher;component/MainPage.xaml?DialString=3282"
7. launch the toast notification and click the toast, it will open field manager.

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
field test working on 1520 from att

since I~m in Brazil, I had to lock to 3g, it was changing constantly to 2g...

##3282#

Glad I found this thread, thanks

Last edited:

prajwal gowda

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
You cannot force windows phone to use 3g only like android but there is a little trick which switches your network from 2g to 3g when 3g network is available. It has been tested in Lumia 520 and 525 running windows 8.1 denim in India all you have to do is set your highest connection speed to 3g and go to dialer and dial ##3282 and call and when the network provider starts saying this is not a valid number quickly minimise the call window and open settings >cellular+sim >sim settings you'll see highest connection speed and network selection will be greyed out you should do these steps before the call ends wait for the call to end itself and you'll see your network switched from 2g to 3g. You can do this again and again.
Hey there! I was wondering if it's possible to force my Lumia 920 to use 3G only if it's available. My problem concerns situations when there are both 2G and 3G connections available and 3G signal is not so strong while 2G is much stronger, so phone prefers taking 2G signal, which means not been able to use internet at all. It also takes battery life when the phone is constantly switcing between 2G and 3G. I experience this issue a lot on some areas I visit a lot. For instance there are several places where there are these 2G amplifier towers nearby, which leads to no 3G-connection. This is annoying problem and I would like to solve it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte