What do I choose?!

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey , I'm looking at deals for HTC 8X's with bell and I've been seeing some good prices (but even better deals for the Ativ S) and I'm torn about which one to go for now since I'm selling my 8 GB one so I can at least have a 16 GB of storage phone (more than enough imo). I don't know how much I can trust bell with the 8X's updates and i have less worries with the ativ s, but still. I've always been wary of bell but what do you guys think? And then there's the Lumia 920... Ahhh!!!

Here is what I've been finding on kijiji as best deals:
Used Ativ S with bell in my city: $150
Used HTC 8X with bell in my city: $190
Used HTC 8X with bell in next city (my brother usually goes there once a week): $125
Used Lumia 920 with noticeable scratches (didn't ask where yet because I didn't sell my phone yet): $250.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
To be honest with you right now your only two choices are the Ativ S and Lumia 920, reason being (in terms of storage) is at least you have expandable storage in the Ativ S and the L920 has 32gb (29gbish) + Nokia Support. However you will also need to take in consideration the Other storage bug as well, my other storage rarely goes up but a good friend of mine... his one has halted around 11gb..(He bought the L920 months after me with portico installed.. go figure)

Right now I personally wouldnot recommend the HTC 8X to anyone although don't get me wrong it is a lovely device but I'm not to impressed about HTC's support or Samsung's.
If you can't make your mind up, best go through the forums for all three devices as this way you can sort of gauge what may be the best for you.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
To be honest with you right now your only two choices are the Ativ S and Lumia 920, reason being (in terms of storage) is at least you have expandable storage in the Ativ S and the L920 has 32gb (29gbish) + Nokia Support. However you will also need to take in consideration the Other storage bug as well, my other storage rarely goes up but a good friend of mine... his one has halted around 11gb..(He bought the L920 months after me with portico installed.. go figure)

Right now I personally wouldnot recommend the HTC 8X to anyone although don't get me wrong it is a lovely device but I'm not to impressed about HTC's support or Samsung's.
If you can't make your mind up, best go through the forums for all three devices as this way you can sort of gauge what may be the best for you.

The thing is I already thought about what type of device I'd always want, and to be honest just having here maps services for my area is more than enough on my htc 8x. I am such a music lover and I am an audiophile, so I will notice every single detail in audio quality. That's why I am so madly in love with my 8X. It is sexy, sleek and does not weight anything at all! Feels so good and the music is just amazing... Just that damn 8 GB! It's with Rogers too so I am happy with that, but I just wish it was 16 GB to be very honest. But these prices are making me go crazy, and $125 for a 16 GB sounds like a steal to me if only it wasn't with Bell.... I hate Bell and the fact that they ditched the 8X and 8S on the site makes me wonder if they will even get updates, that's my worry...

Drack648

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I thought I'd never say this, but I miss Beats Audio. That's the only thing I miss most about the 8X. But Nokia has options to adjust sound quality, such as equalizer and dolby, at least on the 920. I've been playing with them about 2 weeks, and I think I found my perfect settings. If had to choose, I would choose the Ativ S or the L920. If you choose the L920, you would love Nokia Music. Free radio with no ads= perfection. However, if you get an Ativ S, you will have SD cards support, which means you are gonna be able to put lots of songs in your phone... LOL I'm not helping at all :p. But you can't go wrong either way.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
seems to me you should be able to purchase any of the phones that you have listed and just unlock it to use with Rogers if you are happy with them. Just because a phone is currently carrier locked does not mean that you have to use that carrier. An unlock code is very reasonably priced (for instance $15 for the lumia 920) and then it allows you to use the phone on whatever carrier you choose, even when you travel!

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I thought I'd never say this, but I miss Beats Audio. That's the only thing I miss most about the 8X. But Nokia has options to adjust sound quality, such as equalizer and dolby, at least on the 920. I've been playing with them about 2 weeks, and I think I found my perfect settings. If had to choose, I would choose the Ativ S or the L920. If you choose the L920, you would love Nokia Music. Free radio with no ads= perfection. However, if you get an Ativ S, you will have SD cards support, which means you are gonna be able to put lots of songs in your phone... LOL I'm not helping at all :p. But you can't go wrong either way.

Hahahah no no you are. So you do miss beats audio huh? Do you know if the equalizer settings were maybe as good as what you had with the 8X? Cuz this is CRUCIAL for me. I am a huge audiophile. Like I really am sensitive to details lol :p I am leaning more towards Lumia 920 I think though to be honest. Either that or another 8X with 16 GB of storage.

seems to me you should be able to purchase any of the phones that you have listed and just unlock it to use with Rogers if you are happy with them. Just because a phone is currently carrier locked does not mean that you have to use that carrier. An unlock code is very reasonably priced (for instance $15 for the lumia 920) and then it allows you to use the phone on whatever carrier you choose, even when you travel!

True but it is still branded by Bell, so the problem with me would be that Bell and updates aren't really the best. Maybe for Samsung Ativs S would be safe because Bell loves Samsung and still has them on the website, but the HTC 8X I am not so confident in...

Drack648

May 23, 2013
Visit site
@WhippedKream Perhaps with the right settings we can get something similar... I've been trying to find that sound, but I've have failed miserably. But I'm gonna try again and I'll let you know if I find that perfect balance :p. But this option is amazing, you know. I mean, they're is giving us an chance to change the way we hear music. And that's great. BUUUUUT I still miss Beats :p. And I'm gonna find at least something similar, I promise haha. However... There's another way to solve our dilemma... But hell no. I'm not going to spend 200 bucks on a pair of headphones :p.
BTW, I forgot to tell you. I was running out of memory in my 16GB 8X. I used to have 5 gigs of music on it. Add 4GB of other storage. Plus photos and videos. And you get a sad me :(.
IMO, get the 920. You'll get several options to change the sounds plus a nice camera and Nokia's exclusive apps. I'd recommend you the Ativ S, too, but I haven't had one ):. A SD is always useful, though.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
@WhippedKream Perhaps with the right settings we can get something similar... I've been trying to find that sound, but I've have failed miserably. But I'm gonna try again and I'll let you know if I find that perfect balance :p. But this option is amazing, you know. I mean, they're is giving us an chance to change the way we hear music. And that's great. BUUUUUT I still miss Beats :p. And I'm gonna find at least something similar, I promise haha. However... There's another way to solve our dilemma... But hell no. I'm not going to spend 200 bucks on a pair of headphones :p.
BTW, I forgot to tell you. I was running out of memory in my 16GB 8X. I used to have 5 gigs of music on it. Add 4GB of other storage. Plus photos and videos. And you get a sad me :(.
IMO, get the 920. You'll get several options to change the sounds plus a nice camera and Nokia's exclusive apps. I'd recommend you the Ativ S, too, but I haven't had one ):. A SD is always useful, though.

I have really good earphones for their price to be honest. Monster mobile jamz that cost like 140$ or something but I got it for 30$ on boxing week special :p Really good and the bass is really sweet on these. The thing is why I have my eyes on the 8X is because well, I dont have 5 gigs of music that i like to listen to constantly. I have max 3 gigs if I were to go all out (more likely around 2.5), and photos I usually do a weekly clean-up and videos I NEVER keep on my phone unless I wanna show it after. After that I put into skydrive asap. I just am hesitant because it's not so much the beats that really makes the audio AMAZING, it's the separate audio chip that really adds to it along with the increase in voltage and yeah... It's a lot going on so I don't know if it can really be reproduced. It really is a music lovers phone which is exactly what I am... A music lover :p hahaha but yeah I'll just keep this for now until I get the update from Rogers (cmon already!), and see how this other storage holds up. Also I'll be on a very good lookout for 16GB roger htc 8x's on kijiji lool. Thanks for the advice though! If I find a really cheap lumia I might make the switch but I don't know! Hahaha

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sooo after gdr2 and some tricks from wpcentral I now have 2.6 GB of others instead of 3.4 (WOHOO), BUT still 900MB of temporary files my make more space app is telling me I have and won't delete -.-. Also, the fact that Bell received the update at the same time as Rogers for this leaves me extremely confused :( I don't know if I should just get that 125$ phone or just cope with this until kingdom comes to it :p. Im pretty happy with 1.35 gigs of free space as long as I don't watch YouTube videos cuz... WP can't handle that well with the memory... What do u guys think?

Edit: I can watch but not through YouTube apps cuz it drains my memory...

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I moved from the 8x to the 928, and while I love my 928, I really do miss a lot about my 8x. Size, Beats, Sleekness, HTC Tile. The move from that to the 928 was an okay move, but I couldn't imagine trading it for the Ativ S. Also HTC seems to be on top of the updates more so than Samsung, so don't expect too much support from Sammy.

Drack648

May 23, 2013
Visit site
LOL I had the same problem while watching YouTube videos. My other storage used to get 5 or so Mb if I watched a video. I downloaded Metrotube because my Youtube app wasn't working correctly, and I haven't had any issues with it. Which app are you using?

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
LOL I had the same problem while watching YouTube videos. My other storage used to get 5 or so Mb if I watched a video. I downloaded Metrotube because my Youtube app wasn't working correctly, and I haven't had any issues with it. Which app are you using?

I used to have MyTube and MS Youtube but deleted those as soon as I saw my others skyrocket. I then used MetroTube again and saw that it was going anywhere until one day it was weird it just did some stuff but I think that's cuz I had only 100 MB left that it was freaking out... Now I have 1.58 GB lmaooo huge diff so I'll see. I watch vines now, worry free, with 6sec :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos