Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Why did Nokia waste one of the three keys on the front of the phone for Bing search? Is searching the web such a priority for most mobile phone users? And reading Bar codes, really how many times will the average user do this? I'm quite happy with Google search, so there goes one key I'm never using, HOWEVER, because it is there I KEEP PRESSING IT ACCIDENTALLY ALL THE TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is there a way to disable it????????????
    MikeSo likes this.

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    No, you can't disable it, but I think it's really useful. I use it pretty much every day
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu, nbktonic, jmk1127 and 2 others like this.

Global Posts
    1,606 Global Posts
    Evidently the WPC forum search button is also a waste? :D

No, you can not disable it. Yes, it gets in the way for a number of people. No, it does not have device-level searching and probably should.
    Thanked by:
    gsquared, MikeSo and kriz225 like this.

Global Posts
    1,355 Global Posts
    I love the integrated search as a key button....makes searching quick and easy
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2
    jmk1127 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by arislgr View Post
    Why did Nokia waste one of the three keys on the front of the phone for Bing search? Is searching the web such a priority for most mobile phone users? And reading Bar codes, really how many times will the average user do this? I'm quite happy with Google search, so there goes one key I'm never using, HOWEVER, because it is there I KEEP PRESSING IT ACCIDENTALLY ALL THE TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is there a way to disable it????????????
    +925 to improve it on the level like Spotlight in iOS.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Contextualized searches depending on the app you're in would be great for sure.

But I actually find myself using music search and even visual search for QR codes more often than I thought i would. For these two, the search button is actually a speedier and way more practical solution than on any other platform imo.
    jchapman01 likes this.

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firenze89 View Post
    Contextualized searches depending on the app you're in would be great for sure.

But I actually find myself using music search and even visual search for QR codes more often than I thought i would. For these two, the search button is actually a speedier and way more practical solution than on any other platform imo.
    Agreed, i thought i would never use those two either but use them regularly. :)

Overall i like the search, its useful for me and my needs.

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I use it everyday. I bing it to work. I bing it on the court. I bing it, even though somebody else also binged it already. I bing'd home dinner tonight.This is just the bing'ining!

Well, it seems some people want it, but what about relocating it so that we dont touch it whenever we reach for the phone? It is a similar problem like with the volume button, I grab my phone and lower the volume all the time!

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I like the Bing button. I no longer have the IE tile on my start screen because I make all of my search queries through the Bing button. I really hope it's evolved in 8.1 to become a universal search, then it will become super useful.

if the search button is enabled for searching local (phone's) sms, email, contact, music, video etc then it would be nice... first it should search the given string internally then it should search for internet.....

or in other way the search button could have been made in such a way that if i am in message, hitting the search button should search for messages only, if i am in music player it should search for musics only... so it is like application variant... if i am in the home screen then only connect to the internet for searching string.....
    ojo otter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by walter1832 View Post
    I use it everyday. I bing it to work. I bing it on the court. I bing it, even though somebody else also binged it already. I bing'd home dinner tonight.This is just the bing'ining!
    lol, you are seriously on to something...
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I think having an independent search based on each application would be annoying unless it was incorporated the 3rs party searches.

So lets say for example, Spotify...you're in Spotify and hit search it loads the actual Spotify search that's inbuilt to the app.

If your in bing weather and you hit search, it will bring up the city search.

Then on the home screen, if you hit search it would bring up what we see now with an extra button beside "vision" that could say local/phone and that would be how we sear h the phone.

Its not a drastic difference, the onus would be on 3rd party devs to incorporate it, and Microsoft to add an extra button in the search for local.

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    AND it wouldn't annoy people who currently like how the search is at thw moment because they could do one tap for in-app search, double tap for bing. :)

Quote Originally Posted by cw1988 View Post
    AND it wouldn't annoy people who currently like how the search is at thw moment because they could do one tap for in-app search, double tap for bing. :)
    or long press for bing.
    wpguy, xandros9 and cw1988 like this.
    I also thought it was a waste at first, but now I use it all the time. I use the QR reader too.

But I do agree that they should build on its functionality. Contextual search and a long press functionality are great ideas, I would be very surprised if MS doesn't have adding these features on their road map :D
    thomas wojcik likes this.

I fully agree with most, however the problem of launchng Bing inadvertenly is still my biggest problem with the 925 ! I keep touching the 'search' button and it keeps launcing! Whenever I use the phone, it seems that I can't help touching it!

Contextual search is coming in 8.1
    Thanked by:
    Wilsen Hernandez likes this.

That's very good news! I s 8.1 for WP coming out at the same time with the 8.1 for PC's ?
    ojo otter likes this.

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    That's very good news! I s 8.1 for WP coming out at the same time with the 8.1 for PC's ?
    No, it will be out first quarter 2014 IIRC
    arislgr likes this.
    The accidental search button pressings is just something that happens when you first get a device with capacitive buttons. You won't do it anymore after a while. I actually find the Bing button quite useful, it helps me find somewhere to eat when I'm out late, helps me find out what song is playing, helps me find directions to where I need to go. I could go on forever about how useful it is.

Global Posts
    1,606 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    I could go on forever about how useful it is.
    I rarely use IE on my 920 *because* of the Bing search button.

Global Posts
    1,606 Global Posts
    Why did Nokia waste one of the three keys on the front of the phone for Bing search?
    Actually, I was just thinking about this; I don't believe it was Nokia's choice. I believe that if you want to build phones for Windows Phone, you are required by Microsoft to have that button.

It should be contextual like It used to Be..why would i want to bing stuff when im in a app..make It bing It only on home screen

Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    The accidental search button pressings is just something that happens when you first get a device with capacitive buttons. You won't do it anymore after a while. I actually find the Bing button quite useful, it helps me find somewhere to eat when I'm out late, helps me find out what song is playing, helps me find directions to where I need to go. I could go on forever about how useful it is.
    and this, use it alot and I don't need qr/soundhound app I just press search
    <3 bing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast