Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

I'm becoming very tempted to get a Windows Phone but what concerns me is if Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO then maybe Nokia will ditch WP and go to Android or something else.

What do you think?

I'm just hoping that more and more apps arrive on WP quickly and that the app store continues to grow and get more and more official apps, I just hope that the app growth doesn't just stop.

I believe that WP could give iOS and Android a big run for their money in the next year or two but only if things improve a lot and quickly.
    P O likes this.

I think Nokia has a contract with Microsoft until 2015 or 16.

I wish Microsoft would just cut the **** and buy Nokia outright, instead of slinging them just enough cash to stay alive.

Not related, but I think that new tablet they just announced is a non-starter. Its got the same problem as every other Windows RT tablet: price. A good camera will not save it.

Global Posts
    10,657 Global Posts
    Don't be worried even if Elop leaves which may not happen, Nokia will still support the platform. I personally think he won't leave Nokia.

I would advice to wait for the new devices for next months toward the end of the year.
    The craziest member on WPCentral!

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!
    snowmutt and xandros9 like this.

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denzilla View Post
    I wish Microsoft would just cut the **** and buy Nokia outright, instead of slinging them just enough cash to stay alive.

Not related, but I think that new tablet they just announced is a non-starter. Its got the same problem as every other Windows RT tablet: price. A good camera will not save it.
    Considering that Nokia is innovating as much as possible with hardware and Microsoft is sitting on their asses with software. I'm glad Microsoft hasn't bought Nokia! haha
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt, Dazzi, P O and 1 others like this.

I'm extremely tempted by the 1020 as I've always wanted a top notch camera on a phone that can zoom in and have a xenon flash, it's just the lack of apps that concern me.

I know someone who has a windows phone and he said whatsapp has greatly improved recently, but Ebay is extremely poor compared to other platforms, as is Facebook, Plentyoffish and no Instagram, no Flipboard, Vine, not a lot of banking apps and other missing apps which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by UKGuy31 View Post
    I'm extremely tempted by the 1020 as I've always wanted a top notch camera on a phone that can zoom in and have a xenon flash, it's just the lack of apps that concern me.

I know someone who has a windows phone and he said whatsapp has greatly improved recently, but Ebay is extremely poor compared to other platforms, as is Facebook, Plentyoffish and no Instagram, no Flipboard, Vine, not a lot of banking apps and other missing apps which is a shame.
    visit www.windowsphone.com :)
    There are alot of 3rd party apps out (vine=6sec for example)

6tag for Instagram and 6sec for Vine are pretty good. They're arguably better experiences than the native apps on other platforms.

Facebook needs some work.

And small local banks tend to not make WP apps.
    HaibaneReki likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moiz Mian View Post
    Considering that Nokia is innovating as much as possible with hardware and Microsoft is sitting on their asses with software. I'm glad Microsoft hasn't bought Nokia! haha
    I want to see Nokia succeed, but I don't think upscaling a 920 to a tablet and throwing an unpopular OS on it isn't going to do much, imo.

I think the concept of Windows 8 works on phones and tablets well, but RT has introduced a confusing, unnecessary 3rd option into the mix.

I think Microsoft would've done better to allow WP8 to be used on tablets, like iOS. RT was a mistake.

Well wait and watch, i think when 8.1 aka blue launches wp and rt would be the same w/ different ux though
    toddpart likes this.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Flipboard is coming although we don't know when.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts

Totally feel you on that, but a lot of your concerns are non-issues if you look a little more closely. Not sure where you're located, but in the US, I use both Chase and Wells Fargo and both of them have bank apps. B of A also has an app. 6sec and 6tag make excellent vine/instagram clients. A lot of airlines are starting to make apps as well. I have the ebay app and it works...but I don't use it very much, so not sure how it compares with iOS. And the facebook app gets updates almost weekly and it's now pretty much feature complete compared to ios and android.

There are still some of the smaller companies that are slower at making apps. But the situation is getting better and better.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Microsoft makes the most money with the Nokia phones. No, they won't do away anytime soon.

Global Posts
    3,537 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    This is interesting. MS is in a reshaping process most companies cannot do. This movement from a 100% software company to a 60% mobile/services company and a 40%-ish software company is a hard transition.

I am not sure Elop is the man for the job. I like im, but Nokia has not turned the corner yet. They are close, but still need MS to survive. MS needs someone with huge vision. Elop made good decisions, but not always in the best way. I think he needs to see things through at Nokia.

By the way, the Finish goverment would have a ton to say about a MS/Nokia merger or a MS outright purchase. Nokia is valuble as a partner. MS does not need them in the company.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    minus365 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    The only way I see Stephen Elop as CEO working is if Nokia becomes a subsidiary of Microsoft, and I don't believe he would be the best pick anyhow.

Global Posts
    1,417 Global Posts
    Not likely. Nokia and MS have too good of a relationship together.

PM me for more details

They wont.
    at least they wont right away.
    They've already gambled everything on windows phone, they cant just drop it and go Android or Meego or whatever.

I can see a new CEO introducing Androids and/or Meego's as an alternative phone line which may eventually push WP out after some time of selling both.

But then i'll laugh if that experiment doesn't work either, especially since everyone thinks they'd be top of the world if they used Android instead of WP..

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I would be very surprised if MS made Elop their CEO, since Nokia is not out of the woods yet & they control the majority of the WP market share. If Elop left before Nokia has a solid sustained turnaround whatever confidence there is in Nokia would evaporate quickly, and in turn so would WP sales.
    I would be very surprised if Nokia stays exclusive to WP past their contract, regardless of who is CEO at either company. I think their investors will push them towards Android. Just as Microsoft's investors are pushing out Ballmer. I also think that those same investors will nip any hardware making dreams Microsoft has. At least for a while. Of course I could be wrong, just my guesses on the matters.

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    if Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO then maybe Nokia will ditch WP and go to Android or something else.

What do you think?
    If Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO, Nokia WOULD BE BOUGHT by Microsoft. I guarantee it.
    Last edited by psudotechzealot; 08-27-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psudotechzealot View Post
    If Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO, Nokia WOULD BE BROUGHT by Microsoft. I guarantee it.
    Be brought where? 😉

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    If Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO, Nokia WOULD BE BOUGHT by Microsoft. I guarantee it.
    Fixed, are you happy now Winning Guy & BIGPADDY?
    snowmutt and despertador like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnieLasVegas View Post
    I would be very surprised if Nokia stays exclusive to WP past their contract, regardless of who is CEO at either company. I think their investors will push them towards Android. Just as Microsoft's investors are pushing out Ballmer. I also think that those same investors will nip any hardware making dreams Microsoft has. At least for a while. Of course I could be wrong, just my guesses on the matters.
    I have a different take on this. Nokia has built a their current brand largely on WP. It is a strong differentiators in the market. If they dilute that brand they will create confusion and uncertainty.

If they're smart, MS and Nokia will continue to leverage their respective strengths and their common objectives. If they execute effectively both companies and their customers win; if they don't they can lose.

Why become another Andro-bot and get lost in the maze??
    11B1P likes this.

Exactly, then WP support and Nokia product quality all skyrocket. Elop will be able to control Nokia again.

I have same opinion.

but not sure if this would be approved by chairmans on both sides. both companies need to decide which way to go. would making WP8 as the Nokia exclusiv os and making it next iphone the way to go? probably not, but i am sure lot of questions and quieres need to be addressed at ms and nokia managements.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast