If Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO will Nokia ditch WP?

UKGuy31

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm becoming very tempted to get a Windows Phone but what concerns me is if Elop becomes the new Microsoft CEO then maybe Nokia will ditch WP and go to Android or something else.

What do you think?

I'm just hoping that more and more apps arrive on WP quickly and that the app store continues to grow and get more and more official apps, I just hope that the app growth doesn't just stop.

I believe that WP could give iOS and Android a big run for their money in the next year or two but only if things improve a lot and quickly.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I wish Microsoft would just cut the **** and buy Nokia outright, instead of slinging them just enough cash to stay alive.

Not related, but I think that new tablet they just announced is a non-starter. Its got the same problem as every other Windows RT tablet: price. A good camera will not save it.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Don't be worried even if Elop leaves which may not happen, Nokia will still support the platform. I personally think he won't leave Nokia.

I would advice to wait for the new devices for next months toward the end of the year.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I wish Microsoft would just cut the **** and buy Nokia outright, instead of slinging them just enough cash to stay alive.

Not related, but I think that new tablet they just announced is a non-starter. Its got the same problem as every other Windows RT tablet: price. A good camera will not save it.

Considering that Nokia is innovating as much as possible with hardware and Microsoft is sitting on their asses with software. I'm glad Microsoft hasn't bought Nokia! haha

UKGuy31

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm extremely tempted by the 1020 as I've always wanted a top notch camera on a phone that can zoom in and have a xenon flash, it's just the lack of apps that concern me.

I know someone who has a windows phone and he said whatsapp has greatly improved recently, but Ebay is extremely poor compared to other platforms, as is Facebook, Plentyoffish and no Instagram, no Flipboard, Vine, not a lot of banking apps and other missing apps which is a shame.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm extremely tempted by the 1020 as I've always wanted a top notch camera on a phone that can zoom in and have a xenon flash, it's just the lack of apps that concern me.

I know someone who has a windows phone and he said whatsapp has greatly improved recently, but Ebay is extremely poor compared to other platforms, as is Facebook, Plentyoffish and no Instagram, no Flipboard, Vine, not a lot of banking apps and other missing apps which is a shame.
visit www.windowsphone.com :)
There are alot of 3rd party apps out (vine=6sec for example)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

6tag for Instagram and 6sec for Vine are pretty good. They're arguably better experiences than the native apps on other platforms.

Facebook needs some work.

And small local banks tend to not make WP apps.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Considering that Nokia is innovating as much as possible with hardware and Microsoft is sitting on their asses with software. I'm glad Microsoft hasn't bought Nokia! haha

I want to see Nokia succeed, but I don't think upscaling a 920 to a tablet and throwing an unpopular OS on it isn't going to do much, imo.

I think the concept of Windows 8 works on phones and tablets well, but RT has introduced a confusing, unnecessary 3rd option into the mix.

I think Microsoft would've done better to allow WP8 to be used on tablets, like iOS. RT was a mistake.

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site

Flipboard is coming although we don't know when.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Totally feel you on that, but a lot of your concerns are non-issues if you look a little more closely. Not sure where you're located, but in the US, I use both Chase and Wells Fargo and both of them have bank apps. B of A also has an app. 6sec and 6tag make excellent vine/instagram clients. A lot of airlines are starting to make apps as well. I have the ebay app and it works...but I don't use it very much, so not sure how it compares with iOS. And the facebook app gets updates almost weekly and it's now pretty much feature complete compared to ios and android.

There are still some of the smaller companies that are slower at making apps. But the situation is getting better and better.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This is interesting. MS is in a reshaping process most companies cannot do. This movement from a 100% software company to a 60% mobile/services company and a 40%-ish software company is a hard transition.

I am not sure Elop is the man for the job. I like im, but Nokia has not turned the corner yet. They are close, but still need MS to survive. MS needs someone with huge vision. Elop made good decisions, but not always in the best way. I think he needs to see things through at Nokia.

By the way, the Finish goverment would have a ton to say about a MS/Nokia merger or a MS outright purchase. Nokia is valuble as a partner. MS does not need them in the company.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The only way I see Stephen Elop as CEO working is if Nokia becomes a subsidiary of Microsoft, and I don't believe he would be the best pick anyhow.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
They wont.
at least they wont right away.
They've already gambled everything on windows phone, they cant just drop it and go Android or Meego or whatever.

I can see a new CEO introducing Androids and/or Meego's as an alternative phone line which may eventually push WP out after some time of selling both.

But then i'll laugh if that experiment doesn't work either, especially since everyone thinks they'd be top of the world if they used Android instead of WP..

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I would be very surprised if MS made Elop their CEO, since Nokia is not out of the woods yet & they control the majority of the WP market share. If Elop left before Nokia has a solid sustained turnaround whatever confidence there is in Nokia would evaporate quickly, and in turn so would WP sales.

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I would be very surprised if Nokia stays exclusive to WP past their contract, regardless of who is CEO at either company. I think their investors will push them towards Android. Just as Microsoft's investors are pushing out Ballmer. I also think that those same investors will nip any hardware making dreams Microsoft has. At least for a while. Of course I could be wrong, just my guesses on the matters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99