Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 99
Like Tree37Likes
  1. Bob Shiska's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
       #1  
    From WPdang, which seems to be somewhat reliable:

    Additional Windows Phone GDR3 Details Revealed | Ubergizmo

    Individual volume controls seems like one of the big things people still complain about.
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 08-28-2013 at 06:33 AM.
  2. BIGPADDY's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10,583 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,657 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Shiska View Post
    From WPdang, which seems to be somewhat reliable:

    Additional Windows Phone GDR3 Details Revealed | Ubergizmo

    Individual volume controls seems like one of the big things people still complain about.
    I just read that on my 920, very excited about these rumored features!
    The craziest member on WPCentral!

    SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!
  3. Bob Shiska's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
       #3  
    I wouldn't be surprised if GDR3 becomes more and more feature packed. While it was initially just a hardware-enabling release (more chipsets and resolutions, I'm not so sure it's about the number of threads as much as it is the specific drivers for the Snapdragon 800,) there was a story somewhere about how with the delay of WP8.1 MSFT was looking to back port features that would be ready from WP8.1 to GDR3. So if a feature is ready and doesn't require other stuff from 8.1, it will make its way into GDR3. MSFT probably won't have the full list themselves until it RTMs.
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
  4. grizzlyaddams's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    #4  
    If they add seperate volume controls for different apps or audio sources I sincerely hope they make it optional. After using so many Android and iOS devices, it's very refreshing to have a volume control that predictably controls the volume of my phone.

    Edit: In fact, through what official channel can I provide this feedback to Microsoft?
  5. revfast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #5  
    Just fix the horrible battery drain....
  6. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,570 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyaddams View Post
    If they add seperate volume controls for different apps or audio sources I sincerely hope they make it optional. After using so many Android and iOS devices, it's very refreshing to have a volume control that predictably controls the volume of my phone.

    Edit: In fact, through what official channel can I provide this feedback to Microsoft?
    you are VASTLY outnumbered. It is the #1 or #2 requested feature on the answers site.
  7. Bob Shiska's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    you are VASTLY outnumbered. It is the #1 or #2 requested feature on the answers site.
    Nothing wrong with having it optional, though. I don't want to be listening to music on headphones at an 8 and then go to youtube, and have it blast me at 30 because the last time I watched something I wasn't using headphones.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGPADDY View Post
    I just read that on my 920, very excited about these rumored features!
    Forever alones :P
  9. Ali Babba's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    162 Posts
    #9  
    ...no mention of the #1 feature: custom SMS tones.
    Ultimateone likes this.
  10. Moiz Mian's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    801 Posts
    Global Posts
    802 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Shiska View Post
    Nothing wrong with having it optional, though. I don't want to be listening to music on headphones at an 8 and then go to youtube, and have it blast me at 30 because the last time I watched something I wasn't using headphones.
    Haha, seriously! I'm not sure how android and iOS work, but have you used a surface pro before? (Could be a windows 8 thing as well) But it remembers a separate volume for headphones and for speakers. So if it's at 80 for speakers, it'll drop to 20 when you plug in headphones. Hopefully they will implement it the same way
  11. icstars989's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Babba View Post
    ...no mention of the #1 feature: custom SMS tones.
    this...what the **** is the hold up?!?
    spyderzWPC likes this.
  12. enthuz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    909 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Moiz Mian View Post
    Haha, seriously! I'm not sure how android and iOS work, but have you used a surface pro before? (Could be a windows 8 thing as well) But it remembers a separate volume for headphones and for speakers. So if it's at 80 for speakers, it'll drop to 20 when you plug in headphones. Hopefully they will implement it the same way
    That is how my android works.

    Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    If it isn't Windows, then it isn't trying hard enough.
    Lumia 928 - Surface Pro 3 i7/8/512
  13. Bob Shiska's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    this...what the **** is the hold up?!?
    You think it's 5 lines of code or something? Probably goes along with the notification center as a new notification system, which means WP8.1.
  14. Samst22's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    96 Posts
    #14  
    I'd be so surprised if GDR3 brings notification system and independent volume control along with all the other new features (orientation lock, 1080p, quadcore support, new live tile layouts). I would have thought they would have kept those two features for 8.1. Unless GDR3 is 8.1. Now that would be an epic twist.
  15. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,409 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,768 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Shiska View Post
    You think it's 5 lines of code or something? Probably goes along with the notification center as a new notification system, which means WP8.1.
    Maybe 6 lines of code. It can't be THAT hard. It exists right now for ringtones.. just drop a song in the ringtones folder on your phone and BAM, custom tones. All you need is a notification folder that you drop sounds into and problem fixed.

    Now.. if it is a major overhaul and we end up with someting like iOS and Android where push notifictions can actually contain their own custom sounds (think the ESPN tone when you get a Sportscenter update) then yeah we might not get it yet.
  16. Bob Shiska's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Samst22 View Post
    I'd be so surprised if GDR3 brings notification system and independent volume control along with all the other new features (orientation lock, 1080p, quadcore support, new live tile layouts). I would have thought they would have kept those two features for 8.1. Unless GDR3 is 8.1. Now that would be an epic twist.
    Notification system isn't going to make the cut, it's too late.

    The intent of GDR1 was a few tweaks that just missed the cut for WP8. GDR2 enables Snapdragon 400 support, potentially 2GB RAM, and probably some more stuff under the hood that enables some of the Amber tweaks. A few features, too, but primarily hardware stuff. Original intent was GDR3 was Snapdragon 600/800 and higher resolution, and then WP8.1 covers the software side. It's not like new hardware needs to wait for WP8.1, anything hardware driven is enabled in GDR3.

    So, keeping this in mind, there's no real reason to hold back features for WP8.1. It's not like Nokia's going to hold back on releasing the 930 because of WP8.1, they'll just release it on GDR3 and then update. Only impact keeping stuff in WP8.1 has is having a less fully featured OS between the release of GDR3 and WP8.1, which isn't something anyone wants (other than GOOG and AAPL.) As long as it won't delay GDR3, it goes in. As soon as WP8.1 got pushed back from the original intent of October this year, the scope of GDR3 increased. Independant volume controls are ready, so they're in. Notification center isn't ready, waits for WP8.1.

    The orientation lock was another thing probably originally intended for 8.1 that got moved up.
  17. Bob Shiska's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Maybe 6 lines of code. It can't be THAT hard. It exists right now for ringtones.. just drop a song in the ringtones folder on your phone and BAM, custom tones. All you need is a notification folder that you drop sounds into and problem fixed.

    Now.. if it is a major overhaul and we end up with someting like iOS and Android where push notifictions can actually contain their own custom sounds (think the ESPN tone when you get a Sportscenter update) then yeah we might not get it yet.
    Custom tones for different people, probably not that hard. But as a unified change to notifications? Hard. If you take the broader view of any system event driving some sort of notification, then you want to have one process handling everything. Text comes in, push notification comes in, email comes in, whatever. All goes into one streamlined process, leaving fewer idled tasks. It's a blow up of that notification handling system, and if you know you're going to change it anyways in a much more significant way three months down the line, you don't update that module for a much smaller tweak and waste resources developing something like that when they can be better used making sure the whole of WP8.1 ships on time.
    Thanked by:
  18. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,409 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,768 Global Posts
    #18  
    I would love custom text message tones for individual contacts. Far as I know nobody does that natively. Android has 3rd party apps like LightFlow that let you do stuff like that, but it can lead to phone instability. The GS3 had issues originally because Samsung changed the way they control the LED or something like that.

    I would love, love, love that feature.
    ---------------------
    Gamertag: Barnstormer
    Get ready for Titanfall!
  19. Nesdam1981's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Shiska View Post
    Nothing wrong with having it optional, though. I don't want to be listening to music on headphones at an 8 and then go to youtube, and have it blast me at 30 because the last time I watched something I wasn't using headphones.
    If it is something like Android and iOS you won't ave that problem. The categories on the volume system on android are
    1) Apps
    2) Games
    3) System (notifications and ringtones etc)
    4) Alarm

    This means setting your music volume to 8 (app volume) will also set YouTube to 8... Easy peasy.
  20. Ultimateone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    785 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    I would love custom text message tones for individual contacts. Far as I know nobody does that natively. Android has 3rd party apps like LightFlow that let you do stuff like that, but it can lead to phone instability. The GS3 had issues originally because Samsung changed the way they control the LED or something like that.

    I would love, love, love that feature.
    ios has done it for years
  21. astondg's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    148 Posts
    #21  
    I haven't used iOS since November last year (when I switch to WP8) but the last time I did use it I remember it working like this:
    1. System volume that was separate for
    a. Phone speaker
    b. Headphones
    c. Bluetooth (possibly per device?)
    2. Call volume
    3. An app could have a separate volume IF the developer opted in to that API but it was only for 'scaling' the volume set in 1. I.e. setting an app volume to max would only be as loud as the 'system' volume.

    I could be wrong but that's how I remember it and I never touched an apps volume setting, all the apps I tried defaulted to max volume in app which seemed consistent with all the other system sounds. Basically I set the volume with the hardware volume switch (per audio device) and rarely touched it.
  22. crash1989's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    1,495 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,498 Global Posts
    #22  
    I mean if they are able to implement the top 15 requested features
    Feature Suggestions: Top (33417 ideas) I would be super happy.
    Jazmac and thegooner like this.
  23. broar94's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    754 Posts
    #23  
    Sounds like no body is interested in rotation lock :(
  24. crash1989's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    1,495 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,498 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by broar94 View Post
    Sounds like no body is interested in rotation lock :(
    I need it very badly.
  25. he_shark's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #25  
    My take on GDR3 is that MS has heard our voices and changed their roadmap for WP. I think 8.1 was an intermediate step between 8 and a merger with RT that was to have lots of added features as well as smoothing the way for that merger. They decided to scrap 8.1, put the majority of the most requested features into GDR3, not waste time coding 8.1 and jumped straight to 9 that will merge with Windows RT and bring in a common app store across tablet and mobile. Thus the delay of the "next big" release of WP to Q2 or later.
    SanjitVignesh and Rem97 like this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How do I turn on double tap to wake feature?
    By BobR1908 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 02:14 AM
  2. Feature which might be on the device
    By BIGPADDY in forum Nokia Lumia 1520
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 07:19 AM
  3. Bandit coming preinstalled with GDR3 or 8.1?
    By BIGPADDY in forum Nokia Lumia 1520
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 08:04 PM
  4. Bing update: no more local
    By rdubmu in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 09:29 AM
  5. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 12:46 AM

Posting Permissions