Questions about 8.1 need answers

azaright

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
1) Will all windows phones get it?
2) Does the update unify all windows machines like tablets,comps and phones (meaning if an app runs on phone the same can run on surface tablet,like iPad and iPhone)
3) Aa the update brings support for quad core,2Gig ram devices will 512 devices be left out,queries

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
1) Yes.

2) No. At some point WP8 apps will run within the metro environment on W8.1 and W8.1RT, but whether that is achieved in WP8.1 or later I don't know. However, this app compatibility does not constitute OS unification.

3) Define 'left out'. They will receive the same update to WP8.1. If that is what you mean then, no, they will not be left out.

azaright

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
1) Yes.

2) No. At some point WP8 apps will run within the metro environment on W8.1 and W8.1RT, but whether that is achieved in WP8.1 or later I don't know. However, this app compatibility does not constitute OS unification.

3) Define 'left out'. They will receive the same update to WP8.1. If that is what you mean then, no, they will not be left out.
why? Whn apps on iPad run in iPhone and vice versa,why doesn't windows do the same like ios devoces

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
why? Whn apps on iPad run in iPhone and vice versa,why doesn't windows do the same like ios devoces

Because tablets are closer in use case to computers than phones, so MSFT unified the tablet and PC space first with phones later. AAPL unified phone and tablet. Architecture wise, MSFT is much closer to having a single code base for all three device types than AAPL, and even today 90% of the code for a WP app can be reused for a RT or Win8 app. WP8.1 and Win8.1 will increase that percentage to be even closer to simply recompiling, possibly to 100%, but not quite to a single app for all three OSs.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Read my last post again. I already said WP8 apps will run on W8 and W8RT. Note that you don't need a unified OS for that to work.

To your question: I could just as well ask why iOS apps don't run on OSX? Metro apps work on tablets and on laptops/desktops. Why doesn't Apple do the same?

Bob answered that well. Microsoft envisions a future where tablets replace our desktops and laptops (after wirelessly connecting to external monitors, keyboards, etc). Apple envisions a future where tablets are just big smartphones. Both companies made their "unification" choices accordingly.

azaright

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Read my last post again. I already said WP8 apps will run on W8 and W8RT. Note that you don't need a unified OS for that to work.

To your question: I could just as well ask why iOS apps don't run on OSX? Metro apps work on tablets and on laptops/desktops. Why doesn't Apple do the same?

Bob answered that well. Microsoft envisions a future where tablets replace our desktops and laptops (after wirelessly connecting to external monitors, keyboards, etc). Apple envisions a future where tablets are just big smartphones. Both companies made their "unification" choices accordingly.

you can give excuses all you want,apple maybe dumb according to you but they are successful and people love them not complaining just stating an opinion

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
you can give excuses all you want,apple maybe dumb according to you but they are successful and people love them not complaining just stating an opinion

He didn't give excuses, he stated facts. Apple designed the iPad as an entertainment device. That's pretty clear. MSFT has tablets that are pretty clearly more capable than the iPad, but lose the direct compatibility to the phone apps. Also, remember that they're starting from different points. Apple made the first iPad when the most powerful processor you could stick in a tablet was less powerful than the one I had in my Focus; to try to get compatibility with OSX would've just led to an awful user experience. MSFT essentially waited until a year ago, where you have seven times as much processing power available, and you can deliver more of the PC experience. This year, what you can put into a tablet will do anything you want outside of stuff that will always benefit from a better CPU (gaming, video/picture editing, engineering, financial stuff, etc.) This drives a different approach to where you target tablets.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Stop the BS. iPad is basically a larger iPhone. I have checked out a few critical iPad apps like Netflix recently. It still only streams SD (720x480) resolution with no 5.1 audio AFAIK. On the other hand, Windows 8 Metro Netflix app supports full Super HD resolution and Dobly Digital Plus 5.1 on my desktop PCs and Surface RT tablet.

Why iOS owners don't complain as much? The only conclusion is they are dumb and happy with whatever Apple feeds them.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I did not excuse anyone, nor did I say Apple was dumb. Microsoft and Apple just made different choices at different times. I try my best to be precise, so I would recommend that you stop trying to read between the lines. That obviously isn't your strong suit.

azaright

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I did not excuse anyone, nor did I say Apple was dumb. Microsoft and Apple just made different choices at different times. I try my best to be precise, so I would recommend that you stop trying to read between the lines. That obviously isn't your strong suit.

well back to the real query,so all windows devices be interconnected like ios? At least a few rumours say so,check my Nokia blog wesite.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
well back to the real query,so all windows devices be interconnected like ios? At least a few rumours say so,check my Nokia blog wesite.

Your question was already answered. Just not the way you want it to be.

The apps will be cross platform, not the OS. They all share the same kernel already. They cannot be exactly the same OS simply because they are different devices. Simple really.

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site

You're still missing the point. Apple isn't "interconnected" like you're saying, OS X exists pretty much in its own world. MSFT is closing in on higher degrees of commonality between OS variations, but at least will still require recompiling for WP8.1, probably a little more than that.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Dude. Really?

The rumors are that yes, Win8/WinRT/WP8 will eventually run the same apps. But you already knew that.

Windows Phone Central is not Microsoft. Only Microsoft can answer that question with any certainty.

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
As for 1) I would doubt that all devices may receive the update, they can go into an End of Life state (permanent), or just never receives the update due to the manufacturer, which can be seen with the T-Mobile 8x, despite all the information on HTC's support page, the update has never been released and may never be released. It depends, so I am not going to say it will be on every device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel