Email mess

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
This is a problem for iOS and Android too, I believe. All the native methods of managing contact groups are limited and do not sync with your e-mail accounts.

WP cannot 'see' personal distribution lists from any e-mail account type. This has something to do with not supporting the message class called IPM.DistList. Apart from 3rd party alternatives, the only other built-in method is when using Exchange server, you can type in or search in the Global Address List for centrally created Distribution Groups that have been setup in your Exchange/Active Directory environment which is how I use it. This also works with Office 365, assuming you use Exchange.

I do share your frustration and you're not alone, perhaps consider adding your vote to one of the many UserVoice suggestions on the same subject. Feature Suggestions: Top (33509 ideas)

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Right now, we do not have Office365 active, but we will beginning using it soon. I have been frustrated that I could not send and email to one of my Outlook distribution lists as they don't transfer over to your phone if your aren't using Exchange/Office365. I will be so glad to have that capability in the near future and good to know the exchange distribution lists will handle bulk email. Just so people are clear, you have to be using Exchange or Office365 to have a distribution list that will work through your phone.

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It's called a distribution group, who ever manages your business email can show you how to create one. This isn't a limit of the phone, it would some something you create on the email side.

side note: It's this kind of silliness that drives me nuts as an IT professional by the way. If you need to send an email to 160 people, then there is a process that needs to change. That's called SPAM.

Sorry but what you said is not correct, in that, it is a limitation on the phone. You can not use the phone to email more than 25 people. You have to log on to outlook.com and send it from there. There is no way to make a group larger than 25 and send an email to them from your phone. I had already made a distribution list of 35 people on outlook.com but on the phone it would not let you do anything with that group until you reduced the number to 25. Now I have all the people I need in a group on outlook.com and can go there directly from my start screen and send a mass email. However, that is not from the phone because microsofts limitations on the device will not allow more than 25.

Silliness also drives me crazy...............my pastor is one of the people who took his phone back for his android. There are over 200 people on a prayer request line that he emails daily with peoples concerns. Usually, while he is not near his PC. This is not spam. And it also is the right tool for the job with Android.

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This is a problem for iOS and Android too, I believe. All the native methods of managing contact groups are limited and do not sync with your e-mail accounts.

WP cannot 'see' personal distribution lists from any e-mail account type. This has something to do with not supporting the message class called IPM.DistList. Apart from 3rd party alternatives, the only other built-in method is when using Exchange server, you can type in or search in the Global Address List for centrally created Distribution Groups that have been setup in your Exchange/Active Directory environment which is how I use it. This also works with Office 365, assuming you use Exchange.

I do share your frustration and you're not alone, perhaps consider adding your vote to one of the many UserVoice suggestions on the same subject. Feature Suggestions: Top (33509 ideas)

Android is capable of doing this. I used it for my lists and also my pastor is currently using his android 2.2 to do this.

Thanks for the suggestion I voted as much as I could haha

Also for clarity I accomplished this with Office 365

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Actually, I have been messing around with this today, and can't get my groups to show up on my phone. They are showing up on my local computer in Outlook and they are showing up in my Contacts list in Office365. But they don't transfer over to my phone, even though I have my Office365 account set up on my phone. Anyone have any ideas?

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the OP works for a massive business and needs to send the same email notification to all.

I know banks and such can send emails to every employee with news, and they normally have a Distribution list populated already so for people remotely sending email they select the one dl and it emails out.

Maybe he is a program manager needing to send an email to several teams of people.

Lots of reasons why this might be necessary although there should be a dl setup within the business to group email easier.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
iamtim said:
...from your phone?
Yes.

Huh. Using your phone to manage email communications to hundreds of people just really seems like the wrong tool for the job to me. Just utterly inefficient.

OP, you might want to look around the 'net for a free or low-cost mailing list service (a quick Bing search revealed FreeLists - Free Mailing List Hosting, but I have no experience with them) that you could use. Configure the list for announce only, add all your 160 addresses to it, and then if you must email the group from your phone you only have to email that one address.

I really believe you'll find that to be a MUCH better solution than trying to manage it on... well, ANY smartphone.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I have been messing around with this today, and can't get my groups to show up on my phone. They are showing up on my local computer in Outlook and they are showing up in my Contacts list in Office365. But they don't transfer over to my phone, even though I have my Office365 account set up on my phone. Anyone have any ideas?

Like I mentioned earlier and assuming you use Exchange with Office365, you won't even see centrally created Distribution Groups in your phone Contacts list. However, you can search your Exchange Directory for them by name or alias and/or just type in the corresponding smtp address in the To: or CC: field. Simply typing in the name or alias will only work if the smtp address matches, otherwise you have to allow the phone to resolve the name against the directory first.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If you need to routinely send an email to 160+ people then your mail admins need to setup a distribution group for you. What your company has you do is ridiculous, low value, and counter-productive.

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah exactly, you should get admins to setup your distribution lists for you so it saves you time.

There are some occasions in work for me i have to email 4 groups of people, so they are split into their relevant 4 distribution lists. In total its probably about 100 people. I couldn't imagine adding each and every person.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon