Do people really use People Hub? It is annoying especially with facebook

newarcticman

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys, I am new to WP8, so correct me if I am wrong.

I have my facebook Acct setup in WP 8, problem is, the people hub only shows the message from people who sent me msg in Facebook, but not those that I have sent from the web (Facebook.com)

So basically, say if I am talking to my friend, sometimes on my phone, sometimes on the web. Then people's hub only show..

1) THose messages that are sent by my friends
2) Those messages that I write using my phone in people's hub

BUt it misses all the message that I sent/reply using the desktop version Facebook.com

Is micorosoft assuming everybody just use the phone to reply Facebook message?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes, what you said is true.

As far as I know, Microsoft may also assume that you have sent your messages from outlook.com.
Yes, there is also an archive there, with all your messages.

newarcticman

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
This is really sad indeed. Well people can say it's facebook problem or whatever, but if Microsoft is really advertising how great the people's Hub functionality is, damn it, it's not like what they advertise.

WPCentral should report this issue to create some attention, it's really very countereffective for those who want to switch to WindowsPhone.

Yes, what you said is true.

As far as I know, Microsoft may also assume that you have sent your messages from outlook.com.
Yes, there is also an archive there, with all your messages.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
This is really sad indeed. Well people can say it's facebook problem or whatever, but if Microsoft is really advertising how great the people's Hub functionality is, damn it, it's not like what they advertise.

WPCentral should report this issue to create some attention, it's really very countereffective for those who want to switch to WindowsPhone.
In absolute terms, it's horrible, especially when compared to full-featured apps, and they're nothing compared to the Desktop Sites!

Relatively speaking, they're much better off than other OSes in their integration.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

well as Microsoft are working with Facebook to solve the issue, starting a flame campaign wont help.

Its the Facebook back end systems that don't correctly channel the messeges.

Its being worked on.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I still don't get the People Hub. I mean I use it because I like to keep the Windows Phone type look when I use apps. But on the People Hub you can't (from what I experienced as of yet):

- Like, modify or delete a comment on Facebook
- Add friends on Facebook or follow someone on Twitter
- Use private messaging on Facebook (and the bloody chat never works in the Messaging app) or Twitter
- See the past conversation from a tweet
- No toast notification nor do you have the possibility to show you have new notifications on the lock screen

I'm sure there's more.

Now I get that they're (Microsoft) talking about having all your social interaction in one place. But if you also have to install the official apps then I don't see the point. It's not like going from one app to the other is labourous. They also say that the People Hub is not meant as a replacement for the official apps. Well then, I ask again, what's the point? No one seems to be able to answer this.

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the idea. I'd love to be able to do all I need to do on my social media from one place, I love that my contacts are merged with my Facebook contacts (not Twitter though cause there's just too many), I love that I can have an app that actually looks and feels like Windows Phone, love the live tiles. But not only does the People Hub lack features from the services themselves, it also lacks features from Windows Phone! Lock screen notification, toast notification, tap and hold, etc.

It's a shame, I'd really love to flush the official apps and use only the People Hub.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
<sigh> its a FB issue, not Microsoft.

On another note. Its kind of like big companies like FB and Google and afraid of Microsoft. Idk

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I use the people hub most of the time. It works fine for me. Quick feed type experience that allows me to see posts with the ability to like and comment / retweet and reply. Only thing missing for me would be to favourite tweets.

Junaid96

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
- Like, modify or delete a comment on Facebook
- Add friends on Facebook or follow someone on Twitter
- Use private messaging on Facebook (and the bloody chat never works in the Messaging app) or Twitter
- See the past conversation from a tweet
- No toast notification nor do you have the possibility to show you have new notifications on the lock screen

Your first and last points I agree are very annoying, but keep in mind that the People Hub is simply for social network integration - it's not meant to be a fully-featured app. The point of it is to have YOUR people integrated into your phone OS. If you want to add NEW people to friend/follow then of course you'll have to hop onto an actual Facebook/Twitter program that's designed to give you the full experience.

As for your third point, well that's for the Messaging Hub to cover, not the People Hub, but I think you sort of answered your own question there. I also had issues with the Facebook chat inegration at first but now I've solved it by trying pretty much every single one of the countless different solutions that people have suggested on here and eventually managing to get it sorted out. I'll agree though that it's not acceptable that I had to go through all that just to get such a simple thing working.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Your first and last points I agree are very annoying, but keep in mind that the People Hub is simply for social network integration - it's not meant to be a fully-featured app. The point of it is to have YOUR people integrated into your phone OS. If you want to add NEW people to friend/follow then of course you'll have to hop onto an actual Facebook/Twitter program that's designed to give you the full experience.

Yeah but that's my point, what's the point of intergrating social network without having a fully-featured experience? Was the People Hub fully feature I'd flush the official apps and just keep the People Hub and I'd be really glad to do it as I said, I love the idea behind the People Hub.

As for your third point, well that's for the Messaging Hub to cover, not the People Hub, but I think you sort of answered your own question there. I also had issues with the Facebook chat inegration at first but now I've solved it by trying pretty much every single one of the countless different solutions that people have suggested on here and eventually managing to get it sorted out. I'll agree though that it's not acceptable that I had to go through all that just to get such a simple thing working.

I've tried several things as well but unfortunately it just works either partially or just intermittently. And I know it's a Facebook problem not a Microsoft problem. But to the end user, the result is the same which is that you can't rely on it.

I'm the kind of user that will use what comes with an OS and not use third-party apps unless it's necessary. I just like using a system as it was designed to be used. Unfortunately, I have to use third party apps for many things when it comes to social networking because the People Hub (and the Messaging Hub) are just not doing all I (and most users) need.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to add though that there are great features with the People Hub other that just having the overall Windows Phone experience in the app. Having all the way to communicate with one person in one place, live tiles for your favourite people, publish the same thing on every social network at the same time for example, are great features. I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to only use the People Hub for everything instead of having it be a complement to official apps or webapps.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
keep in mind that the People Hub is simply for social network integration - it's not meant to be a fully-featured app. The point of it is to have YOUR people integrated into your phone OS.

This.

The People hub isn't a social networking app. If you're a social networking "power user", the People hub is not for you.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but "Power user"... I don't consider following new people, liking, editing or deleting a comment on Facebook, chatting as power user features.

I'm not talking about managing pages, applications, apis, accounts and such.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't consider following new people, liking, editing or deleting a comment on Facebook, chatting as power user features.

You're right. Those aren't "power user" features. But they are Facebook features, and the People hub is not Facebook. The People hub allows you to "...see their latest posts, tweets, and pics in an instant." (from http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/features)

it does what it says it will do, and that's all it does. It's not supposed to be a full-featured social networking app.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I know it's not. Me and the person who started this post are saying it would be nice if it would have more features and be a full-featured social networking app. I never said it didn't do what it was supposed to nor did I claim it was Facebook or that it was supposed to be a full-featured social networking app.

I also don't understand why they made an app for social networking without adding all the basic features the social networks do. If you're gonna build something with so much potential, make it as complete as possible!

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You have to look at the people hub as a quick way to scan your feeds. That's how I use it. Everyday too. Quick access to see what's going on and like it or a quick comment. The only thing I see missing from it is a share option. Other than that, adding friends or confirming one is better used with the app. The best part is getting FB, twitter and LinkedIn in one feed.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Me and the person who started this post are saying it would be nice if it would have more features and be a full-featured social networking app.

Yeah, I get that. That's not to what I'm really replying though. You said, "Now I get that they're (Microsoft) talking about having all your social interaction in one place."

What I'm saying is no, that's not what they said. They said you'll be able to quickly see your contact's updates and pictures. Wanting more features is fine, but you should really understand the purpose and intended functionality of the People hub first.

dlalonde said:
I also don't understand why they made an app for social networking

Again, it's not a social networking app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12