Problems importing contact from other phone via file

Staffan Lindblad

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Switching from iOS to WP8. Don't have the computer with iTunes left. Got a problem transferring contacts.

This is what I have done (tied other things as well, but this i the closest I've gotten) - forget about the iPhone. It is returned to former employer.

1. I exported contacts from iPhone to a csv file (made for Gmail).
2. I imported contacts to Gmail in the computer. Everything fine.
3. I synced contacts with Gmail account in WP8.
4. Contacts are there, but just the names. No numbers.
5. Ok, so I exported contacts from Gmail to a csv file (for Outlook).
6. I imported contacts from file to contacts at live.com (don't have Outlook on computer).
7. Contacts fine at live.com
8. Tried to import/sync contacts from live.com to WP8.
9. Same thing here - contacts fine, but no numbers!

Argh, where the hell are all phone numbers?

Thanks,
Staffan

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
then where you have multiple information for a single contact that are appearing separate, like facebook, skype, gmail, twitter, etc, l link all of them into one contact

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure why Outlook can not import contacts from Gmail correctly, it could be one of them are not using proper standards or it could be that gmail just sorts it differently. I havent' ever had any problems with contact going to and from icloud to gmail and vice versa, just from one of them to Outlook messes everything up.

Transfer my data only works if you still have the previous phone.

The only other thing I could think of doing is having it side by side or even trying drag and drop (if supported) and entering it in manually.

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure why Outlook can not import contacts from Gmail correctly, it could be one of them are not using proper standards or it could be that gmail just sorts it differently. I havent' ever had any problems with contact going to and from icloud to gmail and vice versa, just from one of them to Outlook messes everything up.

Transfer my data only works if you still have the previous phone.

The only other thing I could think of doing is having it side by side or even trying drag and drop (if supported) and entering it in manually.

i'm not sure if you heard but google is being a ****

first they cancelled exchange then they killed carddav and caldav

there isnt nothing MS can do about google...

google has stated that they absolutely refuse to support windows 8 and windows phone

if you want a good google experience, stay with android

if you want to use wp, its best to get accustomed to MS services...which imo are better than what google offers

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Google will kill exchange active sync in December if I recall correctly. They move to their proprietary api for access to contacts and calendar killing caldav and carddav too. So MS did a kill for google sync of contacts and calendar until they can do their api stuff. You can go to your outlook account on the web page and link there your google account or you can remove your google account from the phone and re-add it as an exchange account instead of google account. That should solve your problem

Staffan Lindblad

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I saw now I have multiple answers. Thank you - I will check them later.

One thought though - It looks like I have successfully (?) imported the contacts to live.com (pts 5&6 in 1st message).

And when syncing contacts between live.com and phone the contacts show up and the numbers as well (in most cases?) but I cannot use the numbers for outgoing or incoming phone calls (or texting or whatever).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3