WP8 + Skype - Won't stay online?

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello all! I've had my Nokia Lumia 928 (first Windows phone) for about two weeks now and so far I have but a few gripes. One of the bigger ones is that I can't seem to figure out a way for Skype to keep me online even when the app isn't actively running.

I have quite a bit of family and friends abroad and was very much looking forward to being able to seamlessly receive international calls on my phone through Skype. I got the app downloaded and signed in with my Microsoft account. I created a new Skype profile, added some contacts and fired away. Everything worked great with the exception that every time I press Back or Start to get out of he app I am shown as being offline on other peoples' Skype accounts. This prevents them from calling me and, in my case, makes Skype rather cumbersome.

I've searched around a bit (including these forums) and found isolated issue reports as well as a plethora of commentary on how Skype doesn't properly integrate with WP8, despite it being a Microsoft service. However, I've seen people post about having had the ability to remain online with the app running in the background.

So... Long story short, is it possible to have Skype keep you online (so as to receive calls anytime) without having to have the app running on the foreground? Am I simply missing a setting somewhere?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, my Skype seems to show me as available when in the background because my girl just recently commented to me about it, make sure push notifications and the like are enabled.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I just tried a Skype call from my 920 to my wife's 928. She was surprised when it started ringing...she didn't even know she had Skype on her phone. So, it seems to be keeping her "available" even when she's not actively using the app.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 928 for a week now and I get Skype calls like regular phone calls while running in the background

Sent from my Nokia 928 using Tapatalk

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys get notifications in time? I seem to get notification for a phone call or message about a day after it was actually made.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
My notifications are iffy if I get a text message sometimes I get a notification sometimes I don't. But calls come thru like a regular call but the. Skype ringtone plays

Sent from my Nokia 928 using Tapatalk

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... Well we just got an update so I'll have to test it and post my findings.

Since no one else here seems to be having the issue I guess the next step would be to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Curiously, I do get push notifications from messages even though I appear "offline" to the people who send them to me.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been checking Skype randomly throughout the day and my wife, who had a 928, always shows up as available, even when her phone has been inactive for several hours (like now, while she's been asleep).

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Its an issue to some users. I also get this issue that I can't be available if I leave the app. The only way is to hard reset your phone as the fix is unknown. I tried so many things and for frustrated

Sent from my RM-821_apac_indonesia_311 using Tapatalk

Pacific16

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I did hard reset before the GDR2/Amber update. Still Skype is useless on my phone, when its running in the background. No notifications, no calls!

Its an issue to some users. I also get this issue that I can't be available if I leave the app. The only way is to hard reset your phone as the fix is unknown. I tried so many things and for frustrated

Sent from my RM-821_apac_indonesia_311 using Tapatalk

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
So out of those of us having issues, no one has found a fix?

I'm still not working after the latest update.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb