Help me understand the backlash

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Its more than just "being in love" with Nokia as a brand but rather the experience people have had with their devices, the craftsmanship and features Nokia devices provided over the years. And tbh this is the same thing as people on sites like this defending Microsoft, WP, apple, google, HTC, Samsung. Almost every human makes a connection in this way to something inanimate like a smartphone so people who are Nokia fans and are expressing their disappointment are nothing out of the ordinary. If you want proof, watch me start a thread in the Surface RT forum that is less than flattering and read the responses :), the so called "backlash" is nothing new or unique to Nokia fans in any way. Lets all just accept that some people don't like the acquisition and just let them have their viewpoint without trying to shout them down.

MERCDROID

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I think the acquisition is for the best. It allows Microsoft to take a more hands-on approach to the design and craft of Nokia's handsets. I like how Google has control over the Nexus devices; and I'm certain, Microsoft will surprise everybody, with how they integrate the acquisition (after it's finalized) into their ecosystem. This could be great for development, as well. It might, actually, give developers that push, to start developing more apps for Windows Phone. Just my opinion. Surface/Xbox Phone, anyone?

Personally, I think people should wait for the finalization of the acquisition, and the release of handsets post-acquisition, before passing judgement.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
There is only one legimate downside to this: Losing the Nokia brand name on Lumia's removes a well known and very loyal brand world wide. That is a problem MS will have to deal with, accepting this deal gets approved by all regulators in all countries.

But most of these people aren't complaining or worried about that. They remind me of my Brother last Thanksgiving, stumped because I was not in awe of his Apple iPhone. He, along with the most psychotic nut-jobs about this deal just see a brand name and have associated themselves with it in a way I am lost on. I loved WebOS, but somehow managed to find another OS when HP peed on it and tossed it aside.

These are the same type of people who make it impossible to talk politics/current affairs with an open mind, share anything about or even against Faith, riot when their sports teams win/lose, or loose their minds when anything that improves their self worth is questioned/changed.

You know..... Morons.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
it has more to do with consumers loving their nokia devices more than them loving microsoft products. they see microsoft as a slow company where implimentation is slow and fear that they wont keep nokias level of innovation up. i see microsoft more like a government company, slow with implementation. i like their products but theres no way i would want them to make nokia function like the rest of their company does. atleast here in india i also feel that nokia makes a good effort with everything, it does not look like microsoft gives a crap about india honestly, so that worries me too

I think that by purchasing Nokia, Microsoft would have a pretty good infrastructure in India in terns of the service centres and the existing partnerships for Nokia Priority Dealerships. I don't see them just shutting it down and walking out of India. It would be too big an investment to rebuild the network. They will probably just continue with the existing Nokia stores. Think of it like this: when Orange was bought out by Vodafone, did they close down the infrastructure and throw out all staff? No, they rebranded. There may have been internal staff reshuffles etc, but they didn't close down existing facilities and start from scratch.
They have stressed that they want to convert feature phone users to WP users and India is where they can do that.

Nokia tried hard in India with Symbian etc but it failed. It isn't at the top. Its name and so called love that people have for it couldn't keep it alive. It was dying before it chose WP a couple of years ago. Yes, many people may have bought WP just for the Nokia branding (including me). But now, its about the OS. I know my next phone will be a WP, with or without the Nokia branding.

sandelius

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Finn and it makes me sick to see large american company devour Nokia. And considering the price. Noooo!!

Last edited by a moderator:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
There is only one legimate downside to this: Losing the Nokia brand name on Lumia's removes a well known and very loyal brand world wide. That is a problem MS will have to deal with, accepting this deal gets approved by all regulators in all countries.

But most of these people aren't complaining or worried about that. They remind me of my Brother last Thanksgiving, stumped because I was not in awe of his Apple iPhone. He, along with the most psychotic nut-jobs about this deal just see a brand name and have associated themselves with it in a way I am lost on. I loved WebOS, but somehow managed to find another OS when HP peed on it and tossed it aside.

These are the same type of people who make it impossible to talk politics/current affairs with an open mind, share anything about or even against Faith, riot when their sports teams win/lose, or loose their minds when anything that improves their self worth is questioned/changed.

You know..... Morons.

Man, you killed me with that Blazing Saddles quote.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
How do you guys think about Windows phone, I think all along Nokia hardware is good, but how about Windows phone software?

I'm a Windows Phone fan first, Nokia fan only because of the camera. We have an 8X in the family as well, and it's a great phone. I've had great Motorolas, LGs, and Samsungs, so for me "Nokia" didn't mean as much as having a "Windows Phone" did.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, when something small and cool gets gobbled by something large and not cool, usually the larger thing does not get cool as a result: the coolness just gets digested and purged (see Yahoo acquisition of Flickr). That being said, I fell in love with WP8 on an HTC phone first and purchased a Nokia because of all the extras Nokia was offering. It was clear that Nokia was way more committed to creating a wow factor for WP8 phones, and that drew me more than their vaunted reputation.

I am kind of nervous about this change, for large thing/small cool thing reason stated above, but everything I have read isn't really clarifying things in either the direction of "it's going to be ok" or "omg disaster". I have decided I am going to keep enjoying my Nokia device and just wait and see. There have been so many great apps coming out lately and many positive changes (no, I don't really need a notification center, I am one of those) that I love WP8 even more. I am mostly worried that if the growth isn't of the skyrocketing variety (in the U.S.), Microsoft will just give up on WP8. I really hope that doesn't happen.

anon5288998

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi i have Nokia 820/920 and they are brilliant, personally i don't mind if my next windows phone has Microsoft or Surface on them, they are only phones no need to get excited over Nokia name missing and the employee's will still be working on the next phones.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Finn and it makes me sick to see large american company devour Nokia. And considering the price. F**k!

This is the reason :). Xenophobic ultra nationalistic pro European views. The largest ever most innovative the most fantastic European company the one company in Europe that was the greatest and so on. Plus Nokia bought siemens so you get even more pro-European backlash.
The people we see from India do stay cool and tell the memories about the nokia brand and the penetration nokia had in their country, the people in US know very little about the nokia and if they have an opinion they praise the camera and stay cool. But the Europeans are just hating that their prized company the ex-number 1 and most marvelous in the world was bought by a greedy good for nothing and stupid US company.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm a Finn and it makes me sick to see large american company devour Nokia. And considering the price. F**k!

Colorful language aside, I almost understand this. But trust me: We here in the US have seen plenty of companies (Chrysler) and even landmarks (Sears tower) gobbled up by companies in other countries. I trust Nokia to not have made a deal that will shoot their homeland in the foot.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Colorful language aside, I almost understand this. But trust me: We here in the US have seen plenty of companies (Chrysler) and even landmarks (Sears tower) gobbled up by companies in other countries. I trust Nokia to not have made a deal that will shoot their homeland in the foot.

It's easy to see national pride especially when the Nokia employees will be keeping their jobs. I don't remember the Swedes belly-aching when GM bought SAAB or when Ford bought Volvo. They knew they'd be SOL if it weren't for the big, bad American companies. When GM nearly lost its a$$ in '09, nobody shed a tear when they had to divest themselves of Pontiac, Saturn, and yes, SAAB.

In the 80's the Japanese owned just about every piece of prime downtown property here in Miami. Hey, that's business. The drug cartels were no longer financing the construction of all those beautiful buildings you see from the Goodyear blimp during sports events so, c'est la vie.

To all Finns, thank you for the vodka. Now move on.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Except Nokia isn't devoured. They are just focused on a different business now.

Or do you think they should have kept the same focus forever? So they should have just stayed in the paper business.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
How do you guys think about Windows phone, I think all along Nokia hardware is good, but how about Windows phone software?

Exactly, ROTFLMAO, what camera software, or even a great camera on a phone, I doubt we will ever see Microsoft come up with something even close.And I doubt most aren't complaining about the name, it is the quality of the product for the price. I bought the 920 for the camera, and was even considering the 1020 but with the Microsoft takeover will consider the Samsung Galaxy 4, Microsoft is like AT&T or a car stealership for customer support. I gave a hoot less about the operating system.

I get more support from forums like this in 10 minutes than Microsoft has given me in the 25 years, have you ever tried to deal with Microsoft support talk about a joke, you ever had to reinstall a Windows OS after replacing a motherboard and dealing with them, you'll find out how wonderful their customer support is then.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Want more proof than Samsung to how attached pplz get to a brand? The other Android OEMs also makes good phones BUT Samsung created such a desire for their brand the others can't compete...put Sony or LG or any other name on a Galaxy and lets see what happens, i bet it will be "ewww it's not Samsung"

names/brands do hold some power...lets hope MS can come up with a name as strong as Nokia Lumia was for WP!

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Want more proof than Samsung to how attached pplz get to a brand? The other Android OEMs also makes good phones BUT Samsung created such a desire for their brand the others can't compete...put Sony or LG or any other name on a Galaxy and lets see what happens, i bet it will be "ewww it's not Samsung"

names/brands do hold some power...lets hope MS can come up with a name as strong as Nokia Lumia was for WP!

I don't care if the phone is a Monkey Wards, Studebaker or Edsel if it's reliable, good quality with good price and has the features I'm looking for that is going to get my money.. The brand name was the least thing I was interested in, I think that's a younger generation fad.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, ROTFLMAO, what camera software, or even a great camera on a phone, I doubt we will ever see Microsoft come up with something even close.And I doubt most aren't complaining about the name, it is the quality of the product for the price. I bought the 920 for the camera, and was even considering the 1020 but with the Microsoft takeover will consider the Samsung Galaxy 4, Microsoft is like AT&T or a car stealership for customer support. I gave a hoot less about the operating system.

I get more support from forums like this in 10 minutes than Microsoft has given me in the 25 years, have you ever tried to deal with Microsoft support talk about a joke, you ever had to reinstall a Windows OS after replacing a motherboard and dealing with them, you'll find out how wonderful their customer support is then.

If you look at Microsoft's most recent acquisition, and use that as a potential model for how the new phone branch might work, it could be good. Skype is independent of Microsoft as a whole, they do their own thing. Seeing as how Microsoft said that the phone branch would remain in Sweden, I can see this as the model that will be used. Closer collaboration in terms of the integration of hardware / software, but still have the independence to develop new phone models could make this a very interesting time for Microsoft / Nokia

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
We haven't even seen the quality of phones that MS will release and you are already jumping to conclusions. You seem to forget that it will be the same designers and engineers working on those phones.

You also complain that MS will not be able to come up with something innovative as the 920 or 1020 then say you're going with a GS4 next - yeah cos the GS4 sure is an innovative phone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs