One Windows

Microsoft is building a new Windows 10 Shell for PC, Mobile and Xbox

On the Inside

Everything you need to know about the Xbox Insider Program

Beautiful compromises

Surface Studio review: you'll want one, even if you don't need one

3-in-1

Is this the Surface Phone? Microsoft awarded patents for foldable devices

Windows Central Offers

MCSE Certification bundle is just $39

Even more improvements

All the changes found in Windows 10 build 15007!

Games as a Service

What does the cancellation of Scalebound mean for future Xbox exclusives?

Windows Central Offers

Save $90 on these FRESHeBUDS Pro Magnetic Bluetooth Earbuds

Returning for 2017

We're back with an new episode of #AskDanWindows

Lifetime Subscription

VPNSecure is currently 91% off

Our favorite things

The Best of CES 2017 Awards

Infinity Edge in your hand

The XPS 13 2-in-1 is the Dell convertible we've always wanted

Project Valerie

Razer just made a laptop with three — THREE! — 17-inch 4K displays. 😱

Great design from Palo Alto

HP's CES 2017 releases are truly gorgeous PCs

Intel and Google's big day

CES 2017 Day Two: New laptops, new phones, and old ideas made new

Take five is better than ever

The updated Lenovo ThinkPad X1 packs Kaby Lake chips and zero bloatware

Everything we know about the next Xbox: Project Scorpio

UWPowered

'Game Mode' for Windows 10 will power Xbox One and Scorpio games too

Buyer's guide

Best accessories for Microsoft Surface Book

Oh, what a year!

Windows Central Best of 2016 Awards

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Sheikboy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hey everyone,

    So the story is: I'm a grad student and I have a lot of my textbooks from the Google Books Store (they're significantly cheaper than amazon's ebook store). Can I access these from a Windows Phone? I have yet to find a third party app that does this, and the webapp doesn't work with the Browser (lame).

    Any other way?

    thanks

    Sheik
  2. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,111 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,237 Global Posts
    #2  
    I haven't heard of anything.

    Is it really usable on any phone screen? Haven't heard of being looking at textbooks on their phone.

    BTW, don't expect any Google support any time soon either.
  3. Sheikboy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
       #3  
    I mean it's mainly reading (all text, few graphs). I mainly use my computer, but I'd like to be able to peruse on the go as well. I go to school in Newark, NJ so there's no way in hell I'm using a tablet to read on the go.

    I wasn't really expecting a native app, but at least a webapp I could use (kind of like Google Music)
  4. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,111 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,237 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikboy View Post
    I mean it's mainly reading (all text, few graphs). I mainly use my computer, but I'd like to be able to peruse on the go as well. I go to school in Newark, NJ so there's no way in hell I'm using a tablet to read on the go.

    I wasn't really expecting a native app, but at least a webapp I could use (kind of like Google Music)
    Fair enough! I don't know of any that are available (I don't use Googlr books so I haven't gone out of my way to look either). This is one of those things that I would tell people to go to android for generally.
  5. Sheikboy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
       #5  
    I really only use two google services (apart YouTube) and that's Music and Books. CloudMuzik has me covered for Music (props to the developer, it's flawless), but not so much books. If I'm not mistaken the books service has a closed API which is why there are no 3rd party apps on any platform whatsoever.

    But I wasn't passing up on Windows Phone just to use Google Books. Android is most definitely NOT my thing. Plus, I'm used to not having all my apps, I was once a WebOS user, which was even worse!
  6. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,111 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,237 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikboy View Post
    I really only use two google services (apart YouTube) and that's Music and Books. CloudMuzik has me covered for Music (props to the developer, it's flawless), but not so much books. If I'm not mistaken the books service has a closed API which is why there are no 3rd party apps on any platform whatsoever.

    But I wasn't passing up on Windows Phone just to use Google Books. Android is most definitely NOT my thing. Plus, I'm used to not having all my apps, I was once a WebOS user, which was even worse!
    Wouldn't be surprised about the closed API's. Google Music being more open makes sense since a lot of people use it to upload their own music. Do you know how CloudMuzik compares to Gooroovster?

    I really do wish other browsers where allowed though (not just skins of IE), though this will probably never happen.
  7. rkeenan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    464 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikboy View Post
    Hey everyone,

    So the story is: I'm a grad student and I have a lot of my textbooks from the Google Books Store (they're significantly cheaper than amazon's ebook store). Can I access these from a Windows Phone? I have yet to find a third party app that does this, and the webapp doesn't work with the Browser (lame).

    Any other way?

    thanks

    Sheik
    This is my problem. I was wondering if the web app worked at all for the RT series. I was considering trading my iPad mini for a RT tablet, but I rented some Google textbooks for class and I cannot do without them. No Google Books is a deal breaker.

    Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2
  8. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    837 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,212 Global Posts
    #8  
    There is a reason why Google Books are so much cheaper.....

Similar Threads

  1. Google accounts authentication accept button disabled?
    By Kadcidxa in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 04:09 PM
  2. Google authorization page now incompatible with IE9..WTF
    By soumitro316 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 04:37 PM
  3. Google calendar : not synced properly
    By vajnorcan in forum Nokia Lumia 925
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-31-2013, 11:37 PM
  4. Book Cataloging
    By tribexx in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 08:49 PM

Posting Permissions