- 09-10-2013, 07:34 AM #1
Alright, before I begin, let me clarify some stuff in advance:
• I'm using a Lumia 620 since February. The OS, generally, was a lot worse back then. I chose it after getting tired of Android's lag; stutter, poor battery life, etc.
• No, this is not another 'apps' thread. In fact, I've started using Instagram AFTER buying a Lumia. I, however, am waiting for Path so, as with Instagram, I'll try it after getting a WP8.
• Yes, the system doesn't lag, except that the screen gets unresponsive sometimes. (Btw, they tell me that the S4, S3, Note 2 etc do not lag; I doubt it).
• Live tiles; Notifications: Live tiles are a good way of presenting notifications (I guess they'll even look better on a 6" screen without scrolling). However, they do have some flaws. I really would like to see a screen full of numbers as it is intended to be. Look at Twitter's official client for example (or Viber): they don't use the, I don't know, official or new way of representing notifications (a number inside a circle instead of a number next to the logo). Now for the Push notifications (or toast?, the ones that appear at the top). Sometimes, they don't appear (OR this could be a problem in the Twitter client?).
No, I don't need a notifications center with live tiles.
• Screen unresponsive until you lock and unlock again. Random reboots. Yea, I know nothing is perfect, but, again, compared to Android, WP8 is silky smooth. Why the hiccups then? (Is this better in 92X?)
• SD Card Problem. 99% of times that I transfer files from/to my Lumia; even if from an app to app etc, I discover that SD card got a problem (Maybe this is a problem in the SD card itself? It's a class 4).
• Even if the apps are present, some of them are of average quality. This isn't a huge problem for me actually.
I really want to get a larger Lumia, 925, 1020 or 1520. I just want some answers; clarifications; justifications; etc.
Last edited by Technoloay; 09-10-2013 at 07:58 AM.
09-10-2013, 07:47 AM #2
- 211 Posts
I haven't noticed any lagging. I last the whole day on an overnight charge. I only restarted my phone 1 time in 4 months having it so far. My live tiles and notifications work fine except for Facebook. No SD card, so cannot comment. I have 928 and love it.
09-10-2013, 07:52 AM #3
- 20 Posts
As the commentator above said... Except my phone is 920.
I have around 80 apps on my phone, and they are all with great quality. And I have tested even more great apps, that I have deleted because I don't really need them... Lagging? Android is lagging, I've seen that at all Android devices I have seen :/
- 09-10-2013, 08:05 AM #5
Some people have reported having problems with notifcation's and live tiles not updating correctly since gdr2/amber was updated. How many apps do you have running in the background ? Block all the ones that you do not need in the background running.
- 09-10-2013, 08:10 AM #6
The high end Androids with decent CPU's and RAM, and a higher version than 4.0.3 will run silky smooth.
Just take a look at the Motorolla Moto X with a 1.7Ghz Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU and 2GB of RAM, it has a zero bloatware Android version from Google that probably is well optimised and it runs amazing.
Anyway, moving on to your problems.
I've had 2 random reboots and got it replaced. Never did it again. You might want to check your MicroSIM card and any application you have that might be causing it. If you look on the web for Random Reboot problems on WP, everyone will tell you these two things.
I got a 5 year old microSD card on my Lumia 520, 8GB one that came with my Nokia XM5800 and so far, zero problems.
About Toast Notifications and Live Tile notifications I have to agree to a degree with you. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. It's completely random and I hope it's one of the things that gets completely fixed by Microsoft. After all, the integration with social media is one of the key points of Windows Phone.
Screen unresponsive? I haven't experienced that. I did experience a crash while I was changing applications and had to battery pull, also for two times the phone wouldn't unlock and a battery pull was also needed.
About app quality, the ones I use are as good if not better than the Android counter parts (I switched from Android to WP) and that leaves me happy. There could be one or two apps that exist on other OS's and don't exist on WP but that certainly will be solved with time I hope.
All in all, I'm quite happy with my purchase and I'm just sad I couldn't afford something higher than the 520 (720/820 or even a 920) but this phone is IMO, great value for money.
- 09-10-2013, 08:14 AM #7
The issues with the screen being unresponsive and the SD Card could be related have you tried removing the SD Card and seeing if the screen responsiveness is fixed?
Both of those issue seem like hardware problems, have you had the phone replaced?
Don't let these issues put you off Windows Phone, it's improving with every update and no phone is perfect
- 09-10-2013, 08:48 AM #9I used to get it even before flashing GDR2 (yes I do have it). Another issue is when the screen is perfectly responsive, the tiles, and the apps do not open upon tapping them.
I wonder if we both have some the same apps installed and one of those could be causing it the problem. Can you send me your app list or take screen shot of app list from storage check ( I found that is best way to list all your apps since the text and icons are small)
- 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM #10
I have never seen lag on the screen of my 920 or my 810 before it. Only two apps have ever caused freezing/crashing and I don't use one anymore (Words with Friends), while the other (HeyWire) has never crashed on my 920. But whatever floats your boat.
- 09-10-2013, 11:06 AM #11
lag or irresponsive behaviour in L620 was there with portico, but with GDR2 i have not come accross that much, but random reboots seems to be solved coz my phone had not randomly rebooted since i updated to GDR2 a month back
- By API_Rock in forum Nokia Lumia 520Replies: 7Last Post: 02-22-2014, 03:48 PM
- By twentythreee in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 4Last Post: 09-12-2013, 02:10 PM
- By Dazw in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 2Last Post: 09-12-2013, 03:50 AM
- By sai534 in forum Nokia Lumia 620Replies: 6Last Post: 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM