Can somebody tell me what are Windows Phone 8 OS and hardware limitations ?

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Please dont get me wrong, I didn't tell you to go away. Good discussion is always welcome, IMO. There may be others who are over defensive, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. Im not judging anyone.
I wasn't referring to you... I was replying to mjrtoo's response :)
Sorry for the misunderstanding!

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't referring to you... I was replying to mjrtoo's response :)
Sorry for the misunderstanding!

I didn't tell you to go away either, I just said of those factors are important to you, then buy an iPhone. But, as others have shown, WP8 has opened up the API just a bit more. My intention wasn't to be snide, but I was agreeing that perhaps WP doesn't do what you want, and another does, why would you stay?

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I didn't tell you to go away either, I just said of those factors are important to you, then buy an iPhone. But, as others have shown, WP8 has opened up the API just a bit more. My intention wasn't to be snide, but I was agreeing that perhaps WP doesn't do what you want, and another does, why would you stay?
Because (to me) those features are not the key for choosing an operating system maybe?
I prefer WP to iOS, and just because I prefer WP I'm so angry that it has this limited programming interface.

And since Microsoft is not opening the API randomly, but it's doing that because users (like me) are complaining, let me (and other users) complain.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I know what ya mean. Some people get overly defensive with the choice they pick and defend everything the companies does or doesn't do. I prefer WP over the other OS's BUT there is definitely some missing things that are very basic and missing which may be a none issue for some but big to others... Without criticism you have a company who thinks everything is perfect and doesn't improve on things. Microsoft especially over the last bit has been listening to consumers so I think it's a positive to point out the flaws.

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I know what ya mean. Some people get overly defensive with the choice they pick and defend everything the companies does or doesn't do. I prefer WP over the other OS's BUT there is definitely some missing things that are very basic and missing which may be a none issue for some but big to others... Without criticism you have a company who thinks everything is perfect and doesn't improve on things. Microsoft especially over the last bit has been listening to consumers so I think it's a positive to point out the flaws.
very well said. There are always room for improvements

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If you read the conversation, I was correcting an user who said that the iOS platform is more strict (regarding apps development) than WP.

No, you weren't correcting anyone. You only acknowledged that in regard to judging a platforms restrictions, you prefer to limit your view only to that of the API, rather than to adopt a broader view of the whole ecosystem and all its policies. You are no more right or wrong. You are just choosing to talk only about a subset of what actually exists.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
No, you weren't correcting anyone. You only acknowledged that in regard to judging a platforms restrictions, you prefer to limit your view only to that of the API, rather than to adopt a broader view of the whole ecosystem and all its policies. You are no more right or wrong. You are just choosing to talk only about a subset of what actually exists.
Ok, you want me to be more precise?
I was replying to the question "What would you say is possible on iOS that can't be achieved on WP?", so the further answer "So buy an iPhone if that's important to you." was totally inappropriate.

Anyway, to me, considering the more WP API restrictions and the more iOS Policy restrictions, I would say you have more freedom developing for iOS.
And if I hurt your feelings saying so... I don't care.

cuwe

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I want to find some information . Not to see some arguments . Guys , we're WP8 users . Be cool . I'm also a Windows Phone 8 user ⌒.⌒

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I was replying to the question "What would you say is possible on iOS that can't be achieved on WP?", so the further answer "So buy an iPhone if that's important to you." was totally inappropriate.

Based on what you quoted I think you are confusing things. The second quote wasn't even from me and not part of the issue I was challenging you on.

Apple reserves the right to arbitrarily revoke any app they disapprove of. They have used that right to shut down competition and restrict fair access to consumers that happen to use Apple's products. That is basically small scale fascism. If you never intend to compete in any current or future market Apple operates in, then that might not bother you, but to my mind that is a far bigger threat to consumer's freedoms than the occasional API not working the way you think it should.

That was my point. You are free to disagree of course, ultimately it's a judgement call, but it has nothing to do with hurt feelings. Calm down.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And since Microsoft is not opening the API randomly, but it's doing that because users (like me) are complaining, let me (and other users) complain.

Those API restrictions you and others mention exist for a reason. Not all of them, I admit, but most, meaning work was done to put those restrictions in place. You are free to complain, but don't kid yourself that MS is loosening any API restriction due to complaints. As long as the reason for an API restriction exists, then so will the API restriction itself.

Also, in iOS you can also create an app that, in background, keeps track of your gps position and perform small computation of that; in WP you can't.
etc etc
I didn't notice that with wp 8 they added the API to execute location-based application in background (anyway, the documentation about this is pretty recent).

That is certainly the biggest limitation you mentioned, and as you've learned, it hasn't existed since WP8 was released. The documentation is well over a year old now.

This is easy. Just look at whatsapp... they cannot allow you to send a stored video or song because of API restrictions.
In iOS you can create a decent media player (for instance, one that adds subs to your videos), impossible on WP.

I agree with the needs you are expressing, but I disagree that the cause of your problems are too restrictive APIs. The restrictions you mentioned are tied to larger concepts that transcend any particular API. The solution to those issues will come about without loosening any of the current API restrictions. Similar to how the lack of background location tracking was solved without opening up any of the APIs pertaining to multitasking. Another example would be your issue with WhatsApp. That problem will ultimately be resolved through better SkyDrive integration, again, not by opening up any particular API.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
This is easy. Just look at whatsapp... they cannot allow you to send a stored video or song because of API restrictions.
Microsoft does seem to lock down the media stuff too tightly, though I can see their rationale for blocking song sharing. Sharing camera roll videos would be nice.

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody know why Opera isnt coming on Windows phone OS? Now I have enquired alot on this. Opera says as soon as Microsoft opens API's suitable for creating opera they will make opera for WP8 but Microsoft officials say that they have not stopped opera from any way and that is only an excuse. Can anyone help? I really miss opera on this os.

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
In reality, you can only focus on one window at a time on a desktop. What difference would it make if a file explorer window, or a Word document was frozen in the background while you were not using it? Yep, absolutely zilch.

That's not really true though in reality. Explorer does do stuff when you aren't focused on it. If you are transferring files it still copies them over even if you start surfing the web. If you are playing a game windowed and alt-tab out it still runs.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody know why Opera isnt coming on Windows phone OS? Now I have enquired alot on this. Opera says as soon as Microsoft opens API's suitable for creating opera they will make opera for WP8 but Microsoft officials say that they have not stopped opera from any way and that is only an excuse. Can anyone help? I really miss opera on this os.

Don't know if this is reliable, but take a look.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
That's not really true though in reality. Explorer does do stuff when you aren't focused on it. If you are transferring files it still copies them over even if you start surfing the web. If you are playing a game windowed and alt-tab out it still runs.
I'm not saying that nothing actually happens, I'm saying that what needs to happen is more restricted than you think. Hence, why unlimited background processing may not be the right answer.

Especially true for explorer. The pop-up for transfers is a specific subset of functionality that benefits from running in the background. That's something that can possibly be tackled in a limited way, just like how we have periodic tile updates, background downloads and uploads, etc. Of course, Windows Phone doesn't currently have a reason to have large file transfer, but in a hypothetical scenario that it did, it could be a background task that will be restricted in IO / processing, and can be paused / resumed from a notification centre.

Singleplayer games could be frozen in the background with no repercussions; indeed, in many cases I wish they were. Point taken for multiplayer, though the performance hit there can be pretty significant and I'm not sure that will always make sense. Especially on portable devices, I'd like to see games move to a place where they can be put in the background, resort to a low-resource mode, then resume fairly quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99