Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

I read a lot about some lumias didn't support some apps , or the developers can't do much with their apps due to OS limitation . Why is this happening ? Can somebody tell me ?
    Some games require 1 gig of ram, phones like the budget 520 only have 512 of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by cuwe View Post
    or the developers can't do much with their apps due to OS limitation
    Are you referring to stuff like "you cannot share saved videos via whatsapp because the OS doesn't allow developers to access them" ?

Global Posts
    33,013 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    This article might be helpful for you.
    I read a lot about some lumias didn't support some apps , or the developers can't do much with their apps due to OS limitation . Why is this happening ? Can somebody tell me ?
    All OS' have restrictions that limit what can and what can't be done. There are literally thousands of answers to your question. Flexibility is sacrificed for many different reasons. Examples:
    - security (no direct file system access)
    - stability (limited native code support)
    - battery life (limited multitasking)
    etc etc etc etc
    During OS development, thousands of similar choices must be made between properties that are mutually exclusive. That is what is at the heart of OS development. The character of any OS depends on what the developers felt were the best choices for their target audience.

Android is the wild west, where anything goes and end users ultimately carry most of the responsibility for security, because the OS and ecosystem can not. Apple's iOS is the exact opposite. WP is somewhere in between.

Note that this has absolutely nothing to do with the Lumia brand. This is solely about the OS, Windows Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    Apple's iOS is the exact opposite. WP is somewhere in between.
    As developer, I can tell that WP is the most restricted environment... with iOS you have a little more flexibility accessing data, managing other apps and storage, and with background tasks.
    FinancialP and mjperry51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcomura View Post
    As developer, I can tell that WP is the most restricted environment... with iOS you have a little more flexibility accessing data, managing other apps and storage, and with background tasks.
    Why do you think MS handles it this way? Is the RT/pro marketplace similar ? and could wp8.1 fix this

I think Microsoft is going through this way because the unsuccess achieved with windows mobile (which was totally open), and the success achieved by Apple during its first years with iOS.
    I think that Microsoft is now trying to imitate the Apple philosophy to make the stuff simpler (even if feature-limited), and it's providing only what the majority of the customers wants (and understands), opening to new features depending on the public requests, and leaving out pro-users and people would like to use it's smartphone as a PDA (or as the powerful device its hardware would let it to be).
    The RT/pro store is very similar: apps must comply a lot of restrictions but the environment is more open than Windows Phone (of course).
    And no, 8.1 will not fix this... they may open the SDK a little bit, but it will be restricted forever (compared to the desktop environment).
    I'm also a developer. I would say it depends exactly on what you are assessing.

Now, my personal feelings: I don't like this philosophy (I prefer the android / windows mobile 6.x one).
    We have powerful hardware which can allow us to do a lot of things, but we are limited from a OS which prevents curtains things to be done.

You can talk about security, battery life, UI responsiveness, etc... and you may be right: the more you are limited, the less you can mess-up.
    But the more you are limited, the less you can innovate also... the coolest things are made exploiting the hardware powerful as much as possible, which means accessing directly to the file system, hooking OS events, accessing the device sensors, redefining buttons behavior, keeping code running unlimited in background...
    Those are things that should be left only to pro developers (because amateurs will only abuse of them and create crappy apps which drains your battery or destroy your OS), but now they are not available to anyone (except for manufacturers) and this is just wrong.
    Manu6901 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    I'm also a developer. I would say it depends exactly on what you are assessing.
    Do you have an example of something you can develop on WP but it's not developable on iOS ?

Are you referring to stuff like "you cannot share saved videos via whatsapp because the OS doesn't allow developers to access them" ?
    Yes . And why are the live tiles are updated every 30 minutes ?

This is designed to preserve battery life.
    MS doesn't allow developers to leave an app running in background. For instance, pressing the start button while an app is open make it stop working.
    Apps can have background agents to perform operations periodically, but this type of agents are fired only once every 30 minutes (+/- 10 min) and can execute only a subset of the available instructions.

Does it mean that WP doesn't support real multitasking ?

Generally not. Just like iOS. However some "true" multitasking is allowed for playing music and a few other things.

When an app is tombstoned it will resume where You left it if the developer made it with the correct fast app switching programming.
    The biggest limitation for me is apps, to be frank. Opera still not in, Firefox no way, Instagram? , apart from this I have no issues.
    Well said bro, one of the biggest reasons for massive battery life.
    This is designed to preserve battery life.
    MS doesn't allow developers to leave an app running in background. For instance, pressing the start button while an app is open make it stop working.
    Apps can have background agents to perform operations periodically, but this type of agents are fired only once every 30 minutes (+/- 10 min) and can execute only a subset of the available instructions.

Also , why Microsoft didn't give their best for WP8 ? They should have been good in digital world .
    Thanked by:
    Dheeraj Sukumaran likes this.

Also , why Microsoft didn't give their best for WP8 ? They should have been good in digital world .
    Hahahaha.
    cuwe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellzea View Post
    Hahahaha.
    why ?
    Well little we can do about this. I've come to WP from android and yes lack of features is depressing but overall im satisfied with the stability and performance. Although yes some things id like to be added.

-Real Multitasking.
    -Orientation Lock(maybe in gdr3)
    - A little more freedom to devs so that we can have more apps and less crap ones. Even uc browser crashes every 2 minutes. Limits have to be thought upon again.

- Some live tiles to be added like time (htc has it)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk.
    Rocking a Nokia Lumia 520 with Windows 8.1 :D

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    They really need to loosen the grip on the lock screen restrictions. I'd pay a large amount of money to not have my phone light up with SMS toasts on the lock screen. Displaying who the message from, first bit of the message and lighting up ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    They really need to loosen the grip on the lock screen restrictions. I'd pay a large amount of money to not have my phone light up with SMS toasts on the lock screen. Displaying who the message from, first bit of the message and lighting up ugh.
    You can do that
    rdubmu likes this.
    Do you have an example of something you can develop on WP but it's not developable on iOS ?
    I suspect you are focusing only on technical limitations. I would include limitations of all kinds that are enforced by the OS or its manufacturer.

For example, Apple has the right to revoke your app if they think it competes with any of their own services. Amazon's mp3 music store is one example. Apple refused to publish Amazon's app that enabled in-app purchases from Amazon's music library. If you were an iPhone user and wanted to purchase music from Amazon, you were limited to doing so through the web browser. As a result, Amazon started reworking their mobile web site to improve that web based experience. Apple has since changed their policies. Instead of outright banning such apps, Apple is now willing to publish them in their app store if you hand over 30% of your profits (last I heard), which isn't a real option for anyone. It's just a nicer way of saying "screw you", that is less likely to get them into trouble in a court of law.

In contrast, Microsoft's ToS expressly grants developers the right to sell anything they want from within an app, as long as it isn't illegal or morally objectionable. How much your app/service competes with their own isn't an issue, nor whether you are Amazon, Apple or Joe Schmoe.

Other examples exist.

What would you say is possible on iOS that can't be achieved on WP?

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWhiteman View Post
    You can do that
    ? Ok care to give instructions?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast