SHOCKING!! Nokia was Developing An Android Phone Before The Microsoft Purchase!!!

Manu6901

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Nokia's team of Engineers were running Android OS in Lumia Smartphones!!! :shocked:
Yes you heard it right!! Its indeed true that Nokia was considering jumping over the fence to Android before the Microsoft takeover was happening!!
This news made me sad in a way, I am having a Lumia 920 and if Nokia would jump the Android Bandwagon then millions of wp8 & wp7 users like us would feel cheated & orphaned.
Windows Phone 8 OS would go down the drain if Nokia had jumped over to Android!! I am on wp8 mainly beacuse of Nokia's brand name :) :smile:
I feel it would be like Nokia was never satisfied on WP8 and wanted to just switch over to greener pastures for better profits but it would be like joing the mad Rat Race!! :( :crying:
What are your views about such a shocking news??

Here are some links:
Nokia Was Developing An Android Phone Before The Microsoft Purchase - Forbes
Secrets on the inside: Nokia had Android, Microsoft had the Surface Phone | Windows Phone Central

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, considering this is the WPCentral forums, we have seen the WPCentral article already.

But yes, it is very interesting news. I love windows phone, but a Nokia Android phone would be cool.

Manu6901

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
But wouldn't Nokia Lumia users be abandoned? :crying: Wouldn't they feel that they are left with a lifeless OS with no more support from the name we trusted and jumped to wp OS?

Mio_WP

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Makes me feel like MS saved us big time :D

I did see that article earlier. I was not surprised, of course they had to examine their options.

I'm glad they took the road less traveled - imagine WP8 only available on 8x, 8s and Ativ S.

Edit: oops, forgot about those from Huawei...

Manu6901

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, considering this is the WPCentral forums, we have seen the WPCentral article already.

But yes, it is very interesting news. I love windows phone, but a Nokia Android phone would be cool.

I agree with you that Nokia is best in hardware but if it uses Android OS, I still hate android, yeww its so fugly!! yuck!

Marcus Sanford

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It's not shocking in the least, it's good business sense, just like how Apple had secretly tested Mac OS on Intel processors for years before they actually switched over.

yaro da yaar

Banned
Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
But wouldn't Nokia Lumia users be abandoned? :crying: Wouldn't they feel that they are left with a lifeless OS with no more support from the name we trusted and jumped to wp OS?
No, they won't Nokia is not a company like that. They still focuses on their asha series phone even after they release their Lumia series.

lpforthewin

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's too shocking; Nokia had to experiment with their phones and have a back up solution in case Microsoft dropped windows phone as a failed endeavour. Now Microsoft are acquiring Nokia we don't need to worry :)

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I would bet that MS has Android running on WP's somewhere too just to be able to test not only the programs they offer for Android, but also to keep up with the features of Android. It's called smart business. I actually don't think there was a chance in hell that Nokia would have switched or started making Android. They didn't have the money or resources to establish the R&D and production of them. In addition, there is no reason for anyone else to make Android phones right now. Noone makes money on Android but Samsung and Nokia was not in the position to do anything else that would have caused them to potentially lose money. Having said that, if Nokia wanted to give MS the impression they were thinking about it, then that was a smart move. Once again, just posturing, normal business practices.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Nokia would of been dumb to not look at doing a Android device... after all they could of sold a few million more phones if they were Android based and they know it.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I'd be a lot more worried if they weren't! Simply because it would hint at a company out of touch, which we all have come to recognise isn't the case with Nokia.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I admired Nokia was their commitment to WP. If they went Android the whole world will be Android only and damn that would be a boring world.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Two things, first, it doesn't matter anymore now that MS own the Nokia phone division.

Second, since Nokia found themselves as nothing more than a phone OEM, not looking at other options would be stupid on their part considering the amount of people asking for and Android option. Makes total business sense to me.

Anyway, doesn't matter, it's not shocking and who cares anyway?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs