Interesting article about Android, what about WP8?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Interesting article about Android, what abour WP8?

I have one word for you: Windows.
Closed source. The most insecure operating system in history, and it is also buggy and laggy to boot. That pretty much kills your closed-source is secure theory and also exposes the fact that you have absolutely no knowledge of software development and information security in general. Contrast to Linux, open source, still lightyears ahead of Windows in security and stability.

In a closed-source dev shop, only the developers (MS for instance) have knowledge about security holes and it is therefore in their interest to hide this as long as it takes to fix. However, other black hats may have figured it out and may be using this to hack into things. With Linux, however, since it's a community, nobody can hide vulns in the source code for very long.

ref When Internet security is concerned, Microsoft continues to hide its head in the sand (old article)

Wow, someone certainly does not hide their biases.

1) Windows 7 and 8 are neither slow, nor laggy, nor insecure.
2) Insecurities occasionally flagged in Windows are identified because it runs on more than 90% of the PCs in use. It is profitable (either financially or simply ego) to target whereas the various iterations of Apple's OS and all of the Linux distros run on machines that take up so little of the market it is not worth anyone's while to hack/attack.
3) Android is very insecure, as US agencies that require enhanced security have made clear for several years. US Customs, in fact, identified open source and OEM ability to modify as among of the reasons they only authorized IOS last year. It is also made even less secure for the same reason Windows is targeted by hackers. It runs the vast majority of smart phones and tablets. It is, therefore, worth the time to hack.
4) If the best you can do is pull up an article that predates the release of Windows 7 to demonstrate your argument about the insecurity of Windows you might want to give a bit more thought to your thesis. I can post a bunch of links showing that Firestone tires represent a risk for blow outs; or that the O rings in the space shuttle's solid rocket boosters might fail in cold weather; or that Ford Pintos blow up when rear ended but that doesn't mean current Firestone tires blow out, nor NASA's/USAF prototype reusable vehicle will explode, nor a modern Ford represent a greater risk to drivers.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

On the same note, WP8's setup and restoring process isn't any better. Yes, it doesn't store wifi passwords. But it also does not prompt me to pick a wifi connection first either.
They are two completely different problems. Google's approach is a potential security issue, Microsoft's is bad design. That said, setup over WiFi is rumoured to come with GDR3.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

They are two completely different problems. Google's approach is a potential security issue, Microsoft's is bad design. That said, setup over WiFi is rumoured to come with GDR3.

How is it a security issue ?

No one has explained this to me yet.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Fair enough. That's my current gripe with WP. It is not better. As for potential security issues with Google's approach, how is that any difference with Apple that backs up entire ROM of the phone into iCloud? FYI, I don't use iDevices so I don't know how exactly that works.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

It's not an advantage, at least not for me.

I opted in (it is an opt-in feature on Android, not opt out) on Android, and when I change my Android phone or tablet, I don't have to set up 10 Wi-Fi networks manually. Among other items that are restored, all of those Wi-Fi settings come right back.

When I added a T-Mo Lumia, none of the settings from my VZW Lumia came back.

That might be an advantage for some, but for others it's a PIA.

There lies the dilemma. You are allowing GOOG to store WiFi password to access points that do not belong to you. Did you bother to get the owners permission before letting GOOG have that password for whatever purpose they want it? Maybe the owner of that access point doesn't want GOOG to have that password.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

How is it a security issue ?

No one has explained this to me yet.

You store your employers WiFi password on an Android device. GOOG, or potentially someone else now has that password and can use it to access your employers network. Why do you think there are so many companies that do not allow Android devices on their networks in the first place?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

You store your employers WiFi password on an Android device.

Any employer relies on WiFi password for security deserves what they got. My employer's wifi access is wide open with no Wi-Fi password at all. But in order to access the company network, you will need VPN and key FOB.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

There lies the dilemma. You are allowing GOOG to store WiFi password to access points that do not belong to you. Did you bother to get the owners permission before letting GOOG have that password for whatever purpose they want it? Maybe the owner of that access point doesn't want GOOG to have that password.
Not a dilemma for me at all.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

Allowing Google to backup my WiFi passwords is no more of a security threat than having a sensitive conversation over Skype is.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

You store your employers WiFi password on an Android device. GOOG, or potentially someone else now has that password and can use it to access your employers network. Why do you think there are so many companies that do not allow Android devices on their networks in the first place?
There's no potential for any of that. It's a talking point that is pointless. Google isn't accessing anything, and they don't hand over user data to anyone, so there is no "someone else".

And don't bring up the NSA, Prism or FISA. Microsoft is a US corporation and will hand over anything that they are required to as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

If your employer really cares about security then they wouldn't be using passwords for their wifi network. Passwords should be for personal networks only.

I really don't see the problem here. Android is very transparent about this, explicitly saying that they are storing the passwords on Google servers. If you don't like this then don't check the box.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

To all of you that responded to my postings. You are just as much of the problem. All I'm reading from you all is one type of excuse or another that equates to "Well thats not my problem". It really shows your true colors as to respect for others. Guess its just a character flaw.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

To all of you that responded to my postings. You are just as much of the problem. All I'm reading from you all is one type of excuse or another that equates to "Well thats not my problem". It really shows your true colors as to respect for others. Guess its just a character flaw.
So just because I don't think that this is a problem, I have a character flaw and I don't respect others? That's quite a leap you made there.

I have yet to see a compelling argument for why having this option is a problem for anyone, not just myself. You are presented with this option during setup. It's very clearly labeled. And Google makes it easy to delete your stuff from their servers if you change your mind. Why take this away from people who might find it convenient?

And really, as a general rule, if you store anything in the cloud you should assume that the cloud provider can look at it.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

You're actually the problem because you're making baseless assumptions.

Of the 4 AP's that I have stored on Google's servers that aren't mine, or under my direct control, those passwords are written down on slips of paper, written in planners or on notebooks or stored in plain text as a note on a device.

I'm probably among the most secure keepers of that password.

You also assume that because I have the WiFi password, that I'm within that organizations business network. You're wrong in all but 1 case. 3 are password protected guest networks totally disconnected from the internal network. The 1 that isn't is a coffee shop.

Two of the passwords are hanging on the wall in the reception area of these companies, and if you look in the window from the street, you can see it. Plain as day. Not important, because connecting to that network doesn't get you inside of their firewall, it gets you internet access.

You also assume, wrongly, that everyone would be as mortally offended as you by someone backing up a WiFi password to Google. Or Apple, as they so it as well.

You also assume, wrongly, that everyone's Google tinfoil hat is as tight as your own.

EZJ

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

Android is open-source - you are free to take the code apart to see if it is in fact reporting things about you that it shouldn't (note that you can opt out of things like location tracking etc). I much prefer this to WP, which is closed-source. Hell, rebuild it from source and flash to a Nexus if that's what you want...

This feature is IMHO very useful. I change my phone around twice a year and it saves a lot of trouble having to go around adding wifi passwords again. And like you said, I can't imagine what Google will do with a bunch of SSIDs and passwords, so I don't mind letting them have it.

Android itself might be open source. But the Google Apps are not and yet pretty much everyone has them. Who is to say these aren't collecting other information? Especially Google Play comes to mind.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

I can't see Google going out and war driving for joes pizza's secret dealings with the pastrami supplier.

Also, I've never encountered a company that didn't allow android devices myself. Maybe I should get out more. :D

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

Who is to say these aren't collecting other information?
Who is to say that they are? Certainly not you.

None of the Google apps are open source, but the APK files have been torn apart and gone over by countless groups and individuals.

What information is my Lumia collecting about me behind my back?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Apple stores them too, companies love letting iDevices on their networks...

So you're gonna insult people who don't agree with you? Character flaw? Right.....
The fact of the matter is any business who actually uses a password to lock down their WiFi really should have no expectations of security. They should be using certificates or other ways. Heck we only allow domain connected windows machines on our corporate network. Anybody letting Android, iOS or Windows Phones on their network is just asking for trouble.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)