So, am I entitled to a refund for missing apps?

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
How about do people really get upset over a dollar here and there?

I can understand if you bought and app and a day later it was pulled or was broken.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So, here's an update:

Talked to Microsoft support through Live Chat, got refunded for every single game missing. Including delisted games like PES 2012, games that are WP7 only like Tentacles and games from greedy devs like Fruit Ninja that charge for the WP8 version again!

People talk bad about Microsoft, but everytime I used they support they were very nice and always solved my issues. I have to say, Microsoft Support was always fantastic for me.

On a sidenote, some people around here need a chill pill. I wasn't demanding my money back or protesting the fact that I lost some apps. All I did was ask a simple question, was I entitled to get a refund? The answer is yes.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Cool. MS aren't bad old sticks really, but only refunding the few that complain rather than making a system that doesn't black hole your apps for everyone is not ideal.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Most apps are like 99c. How long did you use it? Probably 6 months at least. To me that says you got plenty out of the app and shouldn't be asking for a refund. If it was $60 and it stopped working after a month? Absolutely. To my knowledge there is nothing that expensive though.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
You get a refund in the form of Microsoft Points and unless you're a gamer or want to buy music from Xbox by way of ZUNE then that's what you get.
If it's a camera app etc. then you're SOL

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
The sense of entitlement is staggering.

You are in no way, shape or form entitled to a refund for a service you have used and enjoyed.

If you buy a fan belt for your car, then get a new car, you are not entitled to a refund on the fan belt.

If you buy an xbox 360 controller then buy an xbox one, you are not entitled to a refund.

You are not entitled to a refund.

Exactly what he said

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
ITT: crazy overreactions based on poor reading comprehension.

PES is delisted. PES is not some service that requires ongoing maintenance and costs, it's a product sold on an upfront payment. Why should developers be allowed to collect money for a product, then revoke access to it? That's pretty darn sleazy and would evoke a huge reaction if the community was large enough.

Not sure how much of this is on Microsoft. What happens to your apps if your developer subscription expires and you don't renew?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
My only issue with upgrading to WP8 are the missing apps, like Tentacles. Can I demand a refund for those?

What about delisted apps, like Pro Evolution Soccer?

No because you pay for a licence for the app, not a hard copy. It's kind of like Steam, you can buy games but ultimately they belong to Valve.

Also it will be buried in the T&Cs that an app can be removed at any time.

Yes you will get refund and you should demand for it. Go to Microsoft Store support or Microsoft Apps & Games support on WP8 support pages. Go on live chat, explain them. They will check if you actually purchased it in past and if the game or app has actually been pulled off.

I've had about 7 app and games (Tentacles included) refunded to me for transition from WP7 to WP8.

Under new T&Cs your licence will be revoked so if the game or app was to reappear again, you will need to purchase again. However, when I did that transition, I was told I retained license as a gesture of goodwill. Now all of them are revoked which to me is totally fair.

Most apps are like 99c. How long did you use it? Probably 6 months at least. To me that says you got plenty out of the app and shouldn't be asking for a refund. If it was $60 and it stopped working after a month? Absolutely. To my knowledge there is nothing that expensive though.

You cannot compare it by what is values. Value of a dollar is different from person to person and is VERY subjective. Just because 99c is what one may earn in 10 seconds, it may mean a world for someone who gets paid 99c an hour!

You cannot value an app saying "It was 99c, you used it for 6 months, you've got plenty out of the app" How do you value a game at per day basis? It depends on what a person's disposable income is. If I can't afford that extra 99c for 6 months, to me that game costs a lot.

Disclaimer: Not being stingy or not saying everyone is rich or poor.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
ITT: crazy overreactions based on poor reading comprehension.

PES is delisted. PES is not some service that requires ongoing maintenance and costs, it's a product sold on an upfront payment. Why should developers be allowed to collect money for a product, then revoke access to it? That's pretty darn sleazy and would evoke a huge reaction if the community was large enough.

Not sure how much of this is on Microsoft. What happens to your apps if your developer subscription expires and you don't renew?

your app get delisted if you don't renew your dev account.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Tapatalk

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I can still take the new fan belt off of the car and put an old one on if I can use that fan belt on the new car. The Xbox controller may not be compatible with the Xbox One, but it will still work with my Xbox 360 which it was purchased for & I can take the batteries out of it an re-use them. I can even sell them and recoup some of the money wasted on them.

While I don't feel entitled to a refund, I would like access to what I purchased. Unfortunately, even if you have the xap downloaded, you cannot re-install an app that was purchased since it verifies it against the WP store.

I don't think that is a staggering sense of entitlement, having access to what was purchased.

If we keep with the car analogy. Your belt made by Acme was made for say a Honda, your new car is a Chevy..... The belts are NOT COMPATABLE, and you are not entitled to a new belt from Acme because you think you deserve it

There is common knowledge that some apps are not on some platforms, it is YOUR duty to do the research and see if there is an app, or an alternative. It is in no way the responsibility of the developer or the platform producer to make sure YOU have the apps YOU might need.

You bought the apps for the platform in which it was intended for and written for. the license to use that app does not extend past that platform. Thinking otherwise is the "entitlement" mindset.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've read some incorrect statements here...
Yes, you need a dev center account (or other "unlocks"...) to side-load apps. But, there are 2 types of XAP files...
a) XAP built with visual studio... these are unencrypted and can be side-loaded;
b) XAP downloaded from the web store... these are encrypted and need a key from the store to be installed.

The (b) files are the ones you can install putting them on your sd card. But, because they are encrypted and it needs a decryption key to be installed, you need to be online and install them through the store.
And, if the application is not listed in the store anymore, the store will not allow you to install it.

Concluding, if you don't have the unencrypted XAP (which is usually owned by the developer only), there is no way to re-install an application you purchased which has been removed from the store.
And considering you haven't paid for an unknown limited-time license, this is not correct.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
If we keep with the car analogy. Your belt made by Acme was made for say a Honda, your new car is a Chevy..... The belts are NOT COMPATABLE, and you are not entitled to a new belt from Acme because you think you deserve it

There is common knowledge that some apps are not on some platforms, it is YOUR duty to do the research and see if there is an app, or an alternative. It is in no way the responsibility of the developer or the platform producer to make sure YOU have the apps YOU might need.

You bought the apps for the platform in which it was intended for and written for. the license to use that app does not extend past that platform. Thinking otherwise is the "entitlement" mindset.

While it may not fit, if I want to try to make it work, I can, I own the belt, if it doesn't work, I can hang it from the rearview mirror or tie it to the bumper or use it to hold the hood/trunk down. It doesn't just disappear because I bought a different car

So, if I purchased an app on my WP7 HTC Titan II (car hasn't changed and the belt should work just fine) and need to hard reset because of an issue, suddenly the app is not available (the fan belt disappears) I can't use it anymore? It isn't an entitlement mindset, you have just taken away something I paid for. I paid for the app or the fan belt or whatever you like, I should be able to use it whenever I like. If I want, I can pull out my MS-DOS or PC-DOS floppy disks and if I can find a working hardware I can install it and use it. How about my copy of WordPerfect? If I have the disks and can find hardware, I can still run it even though the company doesn't really exist any more.

I just want the software I've paid for. It doesn't matter if it's $0.01 or $99.99 or whatever. I've paid to be able to use it, so let me use it. If you refuse to let me use it, I would like my money back. Just like if ACME came and took the fan belt because they thought it wouldn't work on my new car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium