Get ready for beta!

Prepare for Halo Wars 2 Blitz Mode beta: Everything you need to know!

One Windows

Microsoft is building a new Windows 10 Shell for PC, Mobile and Xbox

On the Inside

Everything you need to know about the Xbox Insider Program

Beautiful compromises

Surface Studio review: you'll want one, even if you don't need one

3-in-1

Is this the Surface Phone? Microsoft awarded patents for foldable devices

Windows Central Offers

MCSE Certification bundle is just $39

Even more improvements

All the changes found in Windows 10 build 15007!

Games as a Service

What does the cancellation of Scalebound mean for future Xbox exclusives?

Windows Central Offers

Save $90 on these FRESHeBUDS Pro Magnetic Bluetooth Earbuds

Returning for 2017

We're back with an new episode of #AskDanWindows

Lifetime Subscription

VPNSecure is currently 91% off

Our favorite things

The Best of CES 2017 Awards

Infinity Edge in your hand

The XPS 13 2-in-1 is the Dell convertible we've always wanted

Project Valerie

Razer just made a laptop with three — THREE! — 17-inch 4K displays. 😱

Great design from Palo Alto

HP's CES 2017 releases are truly gorgeous PCs

Intel and Google's big day

CES 2017 Day Two: New laptops, new phones, and old ideas made new

Take five is better than ever

The updated Lenovo ThinkPad X1 packs Kaby Lake chips and zero bloatware

Everything we know about the next Xbox: Project Scorpio

UWPowered

'Game Mode' for Windows 10 will power Xbox One and Scorpio games too

Buyer's guide

Best accessories for Microsoft Surface Book

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 58
Like Tree44Likes
  1. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,748 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,852 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by montsa007 View Post
    Man, I've had BBM for a year, was using Bold 3. No doubt it was the best thing back then until whatsapp came.
    As for BBM is the father, the father is getting old, sick, looks pale and needs too much care to come out and play with his grand children.
    LOL! I completely buy it, and might I add, father should also retire. But, BUT here's the catch. Encryption. You know one of the things I love the most about WP is security. And that is BBM's home ground. So, even though there are countless options available, the security, I bet it top notch.
  2. montsa007's Avatar
    Ambassador

    Posts
    3,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,042 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    LOL! I completely buy it, and might I add, father should also retire. But, BUT here's the catch. Encryption. You know one of the things I love the most about WP is security. And that is BBM's home ground. So, even though there are countless options available, the security, I bet it top notch.
    Yep, had read some news about UK riots, people used BBM to cause riots and escape police :D.

    So I can say, BBM is a good thing for eh, I think you already know ;)
  3. Azurus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
       #28  
    guys guys guys , im not saying that im dying to get bbm. it is a normal app and whatsapp is way better im assuming. All what im saying is that BBM is a very very very big name to be in the market. I dont care if blackberry is dying or suffocating. My concept is "if apple and google gets an app, so should microsoft" Its THAT simple. But dont try to lie to yourselves and say that you dont need it and "grow up" . NO , YOU DO NEED IT. All of us put everything into windows phone, the least that they could do is provide us with apps and games as soon as android and IOS get them.
    And for your information, microsoft CAN do something. the decision isnt in blackberry's hand solely you know. Microsoft can do its part and pressurize blackberry into making an app for wp8
    shilpa0592 and Pieter Wolff like this.
  4. montsa007's Avatar
    Ambassador

    Posts
    3,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,042 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurus View Post
    guys guys guys , im not saying that im dying to get bbm. it is a normal app and whatsapp is way better im assuming. All what im saying is that BBM is a very very very big name to be in the market. I dont care if blackberry is dying or suffocating. My concept is "if apple and google gets an app, so should microsoft" Its THAT simple. But dont try to lie to yourselves and say that you dont need it and "grow up" . NO , YOU DO NEED IT. All of us put everything into windows phone, the least that they could do is provide us with apps and games as soon as android and IOS get them.
    And for your information, microsoft CAN do something. the decision isnt in blackberry's hand solely you know. Microsoft can do its part and pressurize blackberry into making an app for wp8
    Sigh, we have 1,00,000+ apps in the wp market that are possibly on Android and Ios too, doesn't mean we have to install them all on our devices?

    Really?
  5. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,748 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,852 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by montsa007 View Post
    Sigh, we have 1,00,000+ apps in the wp market that are possibly on Android and Ios too, doesn't mean we have to install them all on our devices?

    Really?
    I have to disagree. He has a point. It was the same point I made, we NEED apps not for you or me, but to get people on board. And his question is as simple as it can be. If "iOS and Android can, why can't we?" Fair enough I say..
    Azurus likes this.
  6. smoledman's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,303 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,425 Global Posts
    #31  
    Everyone uses Whatsapp or iMessage these days.
  7. montsa007's Avatar
    Ambassador

    Posts
    3,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,042 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    Everyone uses Whatsapp or iMessage these days.
    Yep, I've seen people using a BB but using Whatsapp more than BBM, for a simple reason.
    There are more androids, iphones and wp devices than BB.

    BB users do need Whatsapp, no exception.
    But non BB users needing BBM, bah.
    Etios likes this.
  8. shilpa0592's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #33  
    But now bbm has become cross platform. I think people will start using it a lot more.
    Between bbm and WhatsApp, bbm is the better app.
    And in countries like India, people are very excited about bbm. Till now, wp has been doing very well in India, now unavailability of bbm could change that.
    Ishan Pandya likes this.
  9. montsa007's Avatar
    Ambassador

    Posts
    3,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,042 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by shilpa0592 View Post
    But now bbm has become cross platform. I think people will start using it a lot more.
    Between bbm and WhatsApp, bbm is the better app.
    And in countries like India, people are very excited about bbm. Till now, wp has been doing very well in India, now unavailability of bbm could change that.
    Only time will tell the tale ;)
  10. Etios's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by shilpa0592 View Post
    But now bbm has become cross platform. I think people will start using it a lot more.
    Between bbm and WhatsApp, bbm is the better app.
    And in countries like India, people are very excited about bbm. Till now, wp has been doing very well in India, now unavailability of bbm could change that.
    LOL, bbm is dead in India, Whatsapp has effectively killed bbm, whatsapp is available on Android, ios, WP7, WP8, Symbian and even Nokia Asha S40, there is no way bbm can compete at this level.
  11. umangparikh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #36  
    i feel this is just a phase. Everyone wants a bit of the new chocolate once they realize its the same no one cares. What i really disliked is Blackberry treated WP as a outcast. No BBM for WP8. I am not sure if i going to use BBM but i still want it to be available for me on my WP. It feels embarrassing to be missing out.

    I know many would agree with me.
    shilpa0592 and Azurus like this.
  12. Funky Cricket's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    652 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    #37  
    BBM came about because texting in early mid 2000's was expensive, and most business phones had 2g and edge data for 15-30 dollars a month, it was slow, so you couldn't do much with it, but messages came through good, and BB provided a messaging portal on their servers (because, you know, EVERYTHING went through their servers). You could tie your BBM username to the BES server and it was smooth, for internal business. Now everyone has unlimited texts and data is provided better by directly connecting to services. So you can pull up your exchange GAL directly and text someone directly, with out needing BBM to be the middle man.

    Skype, and all the other messaging services so the same thing with out having to rely on the crappy bb infrastructure, or you can text directly, it was neat when it was new, but they never updated with the times and it's dead now.
  13. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Cricket View Post
    BBM came about because texting in early mid 2000's was expensive, and most business phones had 2g and edge data for 15-30 dollars a month, it was slow, so you couldn't do much with it, but messages came through good, and BB provided a messaging portal on their servers (because, you know, EVERYTHING went through their servers). You could tie your BBM username to the BES server and it was smooth, for internal business. Now everyone has unlimited texts and data is provided better by directly connecting to services. So you can pull up your exchange GAL directly and text someone directly, with out needing BBM to be the middle man.

    Skype, and all the other messaging services so the same thing with out having to rely on the crappy bb infrastructure, or you can text directly, it was neat when it was new, but they never updated with the times and it's dead now.
    And none of the alternatives, aside from iMessage on iDevices, is as encrypted as BBM.
  14. stalemate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    530 Posts
    Global Posts
    967 Global Posts
    #39  
    BBM for Android does not work so well, cant even open the app...there are several developers that have published the BBM app for Android. Not sure if its cheap copy cats or the official thing...but its terrible.
  15. shilpa0592's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #40  
    I don't think the official one has been released yet.
  16. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalemate 1 View Post
    BBM for Android does not work so well, cant even open the app...there are several developers that have published the BBM app for Android. Not sure if its cheap copy cats or the official thing...but its terrible.
    Yes, it is terrible that people downloaded obvious fakes and are blasting BBM for them. If it isn't from BlackBerry Ltd, it isn't the real app. I haven't had any problems with it, it works like a charm. Then again, I got the leaked version that eventually got taken down. Still works though.
  17. squire777's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,344 Posts
    #42  
    It looks like BBM for Android and iOS may not even happen for the time being so a WP app is highly unlikely at the moment.
  18. montsa007's Avatar
    Ambassador

    Posts
    3,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,042 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    It looks like BBM for Android and iOS may not even happen for the time being so a WP app is highly unlikely at the moment.
    Lol, the current app they have seems to be buggy :p
    Seems someone published the app in a hurry!
  19. mariusmuntean's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    789 Posts
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    #44  
    I have zero persons who use BB, or will use bbm. On WP you have plenty of options, and in any other platform too so this bbm does nothing else than add another same messaging type of app in the store.
  20. montsa007's Avatar
    Ambassador

    Posts
    3,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,042 Global Posts
    #45  
    I actually look at at this way.

    Why did BB release BBM on cross platform?
    So people have more choice and are not limited to BB for BBM.
    But hey, didn't hey have a lot of choice already?
    With BBM open for all, you reduce the chances of people buying a BB phone, BB could end up as a company offering software services limited to BBM, only because everybody downloaded BBM and nobody bought BB.
  21. shilpa0592's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #46  
    Do you guys think we might get bbm on wp8 now? Apparently, blackberry is coming out with a desktop version for PCs. Would that make it easier?
  22. montsa007's Avatar
    Ambassador

    Posts
    3,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,042 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by shilpa0592 View Post
    Do you guys think we might get bbm on wp8 now? Apparently, blackberry is coming out with a desktop version for PCs. Would that make it easier?
    Seriously?
    They'll be really losing it for real, Imaging nasty people using that desktop app to cause bad activities, thanks to BBM's stringent security there'll be no trace of it.
  23. Vertego's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    #48  
    As I understand it, the desktop version of BBM is not a standalone version, but it just links the desktop BBM to the Blackberry device.

    See BBM on the desktop gets a BlackBerry Jam Asia demo | CrackBerry.com

    What you see in the above image was a tech demo for BBM on the desktop at BlackBerry Jam Asia, essentially showing how your BlackBerry can be used to mirror the content on your BlackBerry to the desktop over USB and WiFi which also includes Windows integration, allowing for such things as using the file picker to send photos, files and more.
  24. dkediger's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertego View Post
    As I understand it, the desktop version of BBM is not a standalone version, but it just links the desktop BBM to the Blackberry device.

    See BBM on the desktop gets a BlackBerry Jam Asia demo | CrackBerry.com
    Ahhh, yes. Just when I finally got all the Blackberry Desktop software OFF of all the work PC's. Here they come again. Well maybe not - can't think of anyone around here who has a Blackberry anymore.
  25. shilpa0592's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #50  
    Ahh okay.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Slashdot on WP8 - Slashdot RSS feed app for WP
    By reedsutton in forum App Spotlight
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 11:13 PM
  2. BBM for Windows Phone?
    By soumitro316 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 01:35 AM
  3. Blackberry owner looking to switch to Windows
    By Bfalcon1 in forum Nokia Lumia 1520
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2013, 10:02 PM
  4. BBM on Window Phone 8??
    By Arpit Mittal in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2013, 03:14 PM

Posting Permissions