Questions about WP8

Scornt

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting a new smartphone. Maybe a Lumia 1020?
Main reason is the camera. But I've got a bad feeling about WP8.
Maybe you can help.

1. Are there much missing Apps? Saw there is no official Instagram.
2. How do you get GMail Email?
3. Are there browser with private surfing mode?
4. Is WhatsApp stable at this moment (push service)
5. Can you send every file in data system via bluetooth or Wlan? Or is it like iOS where you don't have a filesystem you can access and send files to other?
6. Can you watch videos on Internet (youtube, vimeo, tape.tv) without an extra app?
7. Can the music player sort your music by Album Artist and not just Artist?
8. Do you really like live tiles? Can't imagine to work with it :D
9. Is there a Emoticon keyboard like on ios?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I can answer some of these, lets see:

1). I have all the apps I need. But there are no official apps for instagram, snapchat and vine but there are 3rd party alternatives that work just as good. Streaming apps such as HBOGO and amazon instant video are missing though the latter is rumored to be on the way.
2) you just select the google option in email+accounts and then everything from your Gmail will begin to sync.
3) you can send requests to websites so they won't track you but there is no actual private browsing feature like that on desktop IE at the moment.
4)I don't use whatsapp so I'm not sure but it does seem to get updated on a weekly basis.
5)only pictures and videos are able to be sent over BT or NFC.
6) YouTube and vimeo work well, not sure about the other one but if it supports html5 then it'll work as well.
7)It can sort by album,song,artist and genre
8)the live tiles are excellent in my opinion and are much more useful than the static icons of iOS and the widgets of android.
9) yes it does observe: ����������������������������������������������������������������✈������⛔������⛅������������⁉✅➗����������

Scornt

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so far. :)

5: oh, so users can't send mp3 or other files?

Additional question: Is it true that videos cant be send via whatsapp?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so far. :)

5: oh, so users can't send mp3 or other files?

Additional question: Is it true that videos cant be send via whatsapp?!

Currently there is no real file system accessible in WP. Working with any files that are not recognised by WP basically get ignored. If you want to work with files other than what WP uses you need to have them on SkyDrive and then 'share' the link with others. There are some file management apps but they're not that great and have heavy limitations.

As for WhatsApp best thing is to read what it offers - WhatsApp | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

There's lots of information around on all your questions. Either on this forum or on the main WP Central site. Simple search will do it 99% of the time. These questions are asked pretty much all the time. My guess is that your're coming form Android?

My suggestion is to embrace WP totally, even though there are Google 3rd party apps available you'll be much happier if you go full on WP. Some people disagree with me but I personally find it less stressful.

Also WP is similar in many ways to iOS in how it's locked down. This also includes the way it handles email. So if you have visions of something similar to Android forget it.

Lastly, the live tiles are great and when they work (there are some apps with issues) they're great. There are issues with toast notifications on some apps so a lot of people stick to using the People hub. There's a whole thread on Whatsapp somewhere and you'll be able to find out if there's any issues with toast but I get the feeling the thread would still be visible with angry users complaining if that were the case.

Though you're looking at a 1020 I sometimes suggest picking up a 520 to give it a try first. I think investing in a WP when you're unsure is silly unless all you plan to do with the 1020 is to use the camera.

Don't take my comments as negative. I'm just a realist.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire