03-27-2017 07:26 PM
26 12
tools
    I have a nokia lumia 920. I want to know how to connect it as a usb mass storage drive not MTP. My purpose is to recover deleted files but all the software that it download requires the storage of my phone to be recognized as a drive.
    09-28-2013 12:39 AM
    Forgive me if I'm not understanding you properly here, but can't you just drag and drop files right onto it in Windows Explorer? I don't believe there's anything preventing you from just doing that.
    09-28-2013 09:21 AM
    yes, I can access my files thru MTP. The reason why i need to have it as USB drive is i have accidentally deleted a file and i have tried numerous recovery software and they required my phone to be recognized as a separate mass storage drive.
    09-28-2013 09:31 AM
    Yeah, you definatly can just drag and drop. You need yo make sure that you unlock your phone for it to show up though (enter in your password if you have one, or flick the lock screen up) you just need to be past the lock screen and away you go! Have fun!
    09-28-2013 09:32 AM
    Yeah, you definatly can just drag and drop. You need yo make sure that you unlock your phone for it to show up though (enter in your password if you have one, or flick the lock screen up) you just need to be past the lock screen and away you go! Have fun!
    Everything else work fine. My main concern is, i want to recover a deleted file and i obviously required a software. Whenever i use any software, my phone is not being recognized on that software, the only thing being recognized are hard disk drive with letters. Hence what i want to accomplish is to have my windows phone to be accessed as a regular hard disk drive with a letter. like when you insert a flash drive and it will show on My Computer as Drive X:
    09-28-2013 09:45 AM
    Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but you won't be able to mount the phone as UMS. You are stuck as MTP, so you won't be able to run any file recovery software.
    09-28-2013 11:18 AM
    I was kind of expecting that Guzzler3. However i am just hopin if anyone here has the exact problem as me. If there are other possible way to recover deleted photos/vidoes on lumia 920.
    09-29-2013 12:11 AM
    No man, it is not possible. Windows Phone uses 128bit bitlocker for encryption. read this article how to hack a windows phone | how to windows phone
    09-29-2013 01:50 AM
    Thank you vinumatthew. Honestly, i spend a good amount of time checking for a solution and as user who has enough knowledge i know that there are none. The reason why i tried posting here if there is any weird thing anyone did and it surprisingly worked. unfortunately there is none. however i appreciate everyone here who responded. Im just hopind well have an update in the future that will enable us to do things in case we accidentaly deleted a file.
    srikanth777 likes this.
    09-29-2013 02:43 AM
    I'm going through exactly what you are asking and none of these people are a big help as they do not understand exactly what we are going through.
    Most smartphones these days do not have external memory so its not so simple as to just removing it.

They are mostly internal and require specific software to mount onto the computer and most are mass storage inaccessible.
    I have a customers Nokia Lumia 800 and we do data recovery.

I eventually found a way and managed to mount the phone so I can see it in 'my computer' however its not recognised as a storage devise and in its properties it is called Generic Hierarchical. I am trying to find a way or some software to recognise this Generic Hierarchical file system. If you make any more progress and wish to get in touch I am happy to do the same as well.
    srikanth777 likes this.
    01-02-2014 09:39 PM
    hello,
    same boat here guys...
    flashed my phone, and lost all my files.... i am also looking for a way to recover my pictures etc ....

will rply back if i succed
    srikanth777 likes this.
    01-04-2014 07:05 PM
    I was kind of expecting that Guzzler3. However i am just hopin if anyone here has the exact problem as me. If there are other possible way to recover deleted photos/vidoes on lumia 920.
    Did you upload your images to SkyDrive? If you did you already have access from anywhere.
    01-04-2014 11:49 PM
    I found this when i was searching how to make the phone a mass storage device.

How to enable USB Mass Storage mode in Nokia Lumia phones ~ Apps World
    02-15-2014 06:46 PM
    Thats not going to work on wp8
    Because you cant get into the device registry.
    That tuto is for the older WP phones ( 7x )
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-15-2014 07:43 PM
    I'm going through exactly what you are asking and none of these people are a big help as they do not understand exactly what we are going through.
    Most smartphones these days do not have external memory so its not so simple as to just removing it.

They are mostly internal and require specific software to mount onto the computer and most are mass storage inaccessible.
    I have a customers Nokia Lumia 800 and we do data recovery.

I eventually found a way and managed to mount the phone so I can see it in 'my computer' however its not recognised as a storage devise and in its properties it is called Generic Hierarchical. I am trying to find a way or some software to recognise this Generic Hierarchical file system. If you make any more progress and wish to get in touch I am happy to do the same as well.
    We understand just fine. That generic hierarchy is the file system windows phone uses to access the phone storage.
    You can't change that file system like you can on an SD card (SD cards in WP devices can be formatted as FAT32 or ExFAT)...

There is no commercial software available that can recognize that "generic" file system though, so pls don't waste your time looking for one.

As said, it is simply limited by the way WP connects the phone through USB...we are limited by MTP-PTP.
    Android has the same issue btw...although in that corner there are work-arounds...

To explain in layman "terms" what a poster mentioned about the 128bit encryption used by WP :

If software existed that could access and "see" the "hierarchical" structure of the phone storage, then devs would very likely also be able to access the isolated storage reserved for other apps...you see that is the very purpose of using that "generic" hierarchical file system, is to provide such isolated storages for all apps...the nature of it prevents any software (except WP) to access it and "see" it. Hence the solid encryption used.

The ONLY valid solution for OP to prevent future losses of photos and videos, is to store them all on the SD card, which CAN be used as a mass storage device and CAN be accessed by any recovery software through a cardreader...if OP does not have an SD card option on his phone, well, then he is f** and those images are truly lost to him.
    02-16-2014 11:34 AM
    Sir Please Tell Me How I Can Recover My Picture And Video From Nokia Lumia 925 Please Reply My Message As Sooon As Posible
    06-01-2014 09:49 AM
    Sir Please Tell Me How I Can Recover My Picture And Video From Nokia Lumia 925 Please Reply My Message As Sooon As Posible
    Give us (or at least me) context please so we know what you're dealing with. Total failure? Broken USB? other stuff?
    06-01-2014 02:49 PM
    For me, I just moved files using windows explorer to my pc and all the photos are now showing as corrupted, and all the videos are the same one...every video changed to a 3 second video i had on my phone...phone also appears to have deleted skydrive version of photos as the directory no longer appeared...so no backup, no online, no way of recovering from phone...seriously??? cant even cut and paste files to/from my windows phone from my windows desktop???
    08-03-2014 08:43 AM
    If you find a way...please tell me also
    08-13-2014 03:50 AM
    This method is for windows phone 7 not 8
    08-13-2014 03:52 AM
    I'm looking out for the same :(
    12-19-2014 06:56 AM
    I have the exact problem on my Nokia 930 Windows 8.1 phone. No use. I tried three different recovery software - Recuva, Jihosoft, Card Data Recovery. Looks like many others are frustrated by the loss of their photos as well. My problem arose from deleting the Pro images directly from the phone thinking I will retain the Pro_Highres images. When I deleted the Pro images, I guess Pro_Highres are gone as well. Some good pictures lost forever.
    02-02-2015 10:27 AM
    I have the exact problem on my Nokia 930 Windows 8.1 phone. No use. I tried three different recovery software - Recuva, Jihosoft, Card Data Recovery. Looks like many others are frustrated by the loss of their photos as well. My problem arose from deleting the Pro images directly from the phone thinking I will retain the Pro_Highres images. When I deleted the Pro images, I guess Pro_Highres are gone as well. Some good pictures lost forever.
    The phone does not connect as a mass storage device to the PC, so you can't use those tools.

Probably the best you can hope for is checking your OneDrive camera roll, since the phone backs up there by default. My money is on it not being hires, but its something.
    02-02-2015 09:47 PM
    I am facing the same problem as yours and until now im looking for the solution. need to recognize my windows phone(lumia 920) as a drive or mass storage. hope someone can help us with our problem/.
    03-06-2017 09:04 AM
    Sir,

I am also facing same problem. if u find the solution to recover internal memory. share with how it possible..
    03-12-2017 01:39 AM
26 12