Waiting for Wifi when downloading app - only if Wifi enabled?

Fresh0razoR

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to download an app via Data plan. Unfortunately it didn't download anything. In the download list it was saying "Waiting for wifi". However, I was in the middle of the city and there were a lot wifi's but I couldn't connect to any of them of course because I didn't know any password. So I wanted the phone that it uses data plan. It didn't! I turned Wifi of but the download didn't start. I was getting angry now. I started to google the problem. Reading in forums (this one as well) that there seems to be a 50MB limit. Now I was really angry. WHAT?? There were even users trying to tell me this is good for me because I would save my data plan. Hell it is MY decision what I do with my data plan. I want to turn the limit off. But well, it wasn't the problem here because the app is only 3 or 4 MB big. So I canceled the download and started over again. NOW it worked.

So it seems that I have to turn wifi completely off to download Apps via Data plan. This is really annoying. Is this true??

Thanks!
Regards
Fresh

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It is only just recently that Apple increased the download limit for iOS via mobile network. That used to be 50 MB too.

The problem is that too many people would complain to their carriers if they exceeded data plan limits and got billed. I know a lot of people have sufficient data plans, sufficient funds to pay for overages and sufficient responsibility to not blame the carrier or the manufacturer for their own use of data. However, it's a result of people who like to put the blame on anyone else but themselves. As long as too many people lack accountability, I don't see this changing.

Fresh0razoR

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I think this is not true. Reason: Android is the most used OS on Smartphones. It doesn't have this limitation. However, why is it even not possible to CHANGE this setting? They could hide it deeply in the settings.

For me it is the same thing like Roaming. It also can bring very high costs. It is also disabled per default and Users get a warning on activation. The is exactly the same thing to me.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think this is not true. Reason: Android is the most used OS on Smartphones. It doesn't have this limitation. However, why is it even not possible to CHANGE this setting? They could hide it deeply in the settings.

For me it is the same thing like Roaming. It also can bring very high costs. It is also disabled per default and Users get a warning on activation. The is exactly the same thing to me.

While I am not sure about Android, I do agree with Laura. It is the same sort of reason why some carriers remove Data Sense from the latest updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos