Tutorial: How to fix the endless spinning gears/cogs bug (for Nokia Lumia users only)

jvrutig

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Software did the trick for me. The initial instructions were a little ambiguous. I didn't connect my device until I got to the blue screen that instructed you to power down the phone. Once I powered it down the software found the phone. When it started to install the firmware after the download it did fail. I retried but that didn't work. I restarted the device and it went smoothly after that. Great software. Thanks for all the posts.

kojarena

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Downloading it now... only issue is my phone does not seem to charge. It has been connected to AC for 48hrs but when I take it off and try and soft or hard reset the low battery warning appears... hmmm. The phone has been faultless, I was resetting it as I got a new phone and wanted to sell this one. It must know.

kojarena

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Actually I downloaded it, followed the first couple of steps and plugged in the phone and before it had managed to download 130mb of the 1.3GB file the phone came back to life. Guess it didn't want to "go to the vet to get tutored"

All good, charging now and then onto eBay. Thanks for this.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yep, that worked. I think when you have an almost full Lumia 920, you run the risk of an update going badly. But this did the trick of breaking the gear issue. The only problem I have now is my backups don't seem to want to download. I need to check the my account online.

Afiq Ngasri

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
This software cannot detect my lumia 920
I also already try lumia software recovery tool and said "not available for this device"
Currently my lumia 920 wont turn on. Its last message said "unale to find any boot. Press any button to shutdown"
5 days without my lumia 920.. So sad
:crying::crying::crying:

cake876876

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I have figured out a way to bypass the skipping cogs. However the one criteria for this to work is;
  • An SD card in your phone
If you meet the meet the criteria then follow the instructions, however if you did not then I'm sorry but I cannot help you.
  1. Take the cover off of the phone
  2. Then insert a power cable
  3. After that, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until the phone turns off.
  4. Then quickly remove the SD card from its port and put on a surface
  5. Next wait for the phone to reboot its self
  6. After it reboots it should say "Nokia" and then do its normal booting procedure
  7. Once the phone boots up wait until it migrates some of the data
  8. When it stops, lock the phone screen and insert the SD card
  9. Then it should finish off migrating the rest of the data, however make sure that you dont have the screen unlocked for this because it slows the process down
  10. Once the phone has finshed migrating your data it may be very laggy, however this should happen and is a sign that something in the system has changed
  11. Relish the fact that you have just fixed your issue with ease

P.S. :smile:This method has only been tested when updating the phone and not actually resetting the phone however I feel that this will work for both problems.
P.P.S.:evil:This method has only been used for updating from Lumia Cyan to Lumia Denim (When i recived the update i did not realise this until further research)

I do not guarantee this will work, by reading this I am not responsible for anything that may not work or cause damage to your phone or its accessories

I hope you find this helpful and thanks for reading! :smile::smile::smile:

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
To all the WP users: If you use an SD card, make sure you remove the SD card before installing any software update. Then you shouldn't face the endless spinning gear problem.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
To all the WP users: If you use an SD card, make sure you remove the SD card before installing any software update. Then you shouldn't face the endless spinning gear problem.

Thanks you saved me I just removed the battery and then the sd card and it started to install

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I got a near similar type of issue. After my mobile (lumia 930)got an update on Friday. The phone started re-starting automatically multiple times. I did the soft and hard reset and then a symbol of flash with the setting symbol came. I tried everything but still didnt work. Nokia Care is telling me to change the board which will cost around 80% of the mobile price. Any suggestion.

santhanu chandran

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I had met the same problem with my Lumia 1320
This was happend first when I got the denim update
When I tried to update it got stuck on the spinning cogs'
That time I had waited for 30 mins, then I tried for a soft reset ie; the combination of the keys volume down and power button, this helped me to get my phone updated

After some days I tried for a reset ,the same issue was happens again, this time the soft reset doesn't helped me

Then I tried an other way
I turned of the phone and removed the sim card and memmory card then connected it to the charger ,the phone turned on automatically and the resetting was done successfully

Trying This may help you

JohnnyB6

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
in my case I couldn't even performed a hard reset on L1320, nothing happened when pressing the volume down (Nokia logo just kept re-appearing when doing so).
so I have removed the SD cards, restart the phone and it applied the update from lumia to denim successfully....on next restart, I have inserted back the SD card and the migration of the data went smooth also.

Aryo Dwiatmojo

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
When I try to connect the phone, I pressed Volume Down + Power Button just like you said, but it is not vibrating until I release the button. Then again it does not detect my phone. And the phone continue to show the spinning gear. What should I do? And here's my phone cycle when I connect it into a PC. Vibrate, Nokia sign, gear sign, blank screen, vibrate, Nokia sign, gear sign, blank screen, and so on. And here's a thing I should mention. If I try to hard reset it manually using the button combo, it does not show the exclamation mark. I pressed the volume down and connect my phone to a charger. But it shows no exclamation mark! Just showing Nokia, and then black blank screen, and then Nokia again, and black blank screen and so on.

zlx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I tried the software updater as well as
Step 1
Make sure the phone is turned off.

1. Press and hold the power key.
2. Phone vibrates (release the key)
3. Press and hold the volume down key.
4. Exclamation mark is shown on the screen (release the volume down key).

Step 2
Input the following key combination:

1. Volume Up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down

Both is not working, I'm still stuck in the gears of death :unhappy:

Any other ideas? (Lumia 630 in this case, not 1020!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077