Microsoft's most profitable mobile operating system: Android

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, maybe MS should just funnel those licensing dollars into R&D and marketing. I love my WP!! I used my lady's GS3 for a few days, and just didn't like it.. Yuk!!

Oh, and why include Kindle as a mobile phone OS?? Geez!!

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I would not be surprised if Microsoft is losing a lot of cash on Nokia and Windows Phone right now, which makes me question the future of Windows Phone.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Every time a new venture is started, it takes a while to get into the "black". I wouldn't say losing, but instead, investing heavily for the future. Gotta spend money to make money.. Risk it to get the biscuit..

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Who exactly is this guy to say WP's marketplace is a "failure??" He's just some little man blowing hot air. As for him thinking Microsoft would profit more in using Android as its OS, that's his opinion and his opinion only.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Steven J Vaughan-Nichols is a stupid mother effer. If you look at his articles that go back the past decade, he's just trashes MS. His articles are purely editorial, and emotionally driven. He's a linux worshipper who is so bitter with MS, you would think that Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer tag-teamed his mother. He wouldn't know a fact if it was rammed up his biased a$$.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If the market share of WP is as big as Android, they will profit more from WP handsets.
Also, they have to think about the future when Android can find the way to fix their OS for not to pay loyalty to MS anymore.

Microsoft's most profitable mobile operating system: Android | ZDNet

What are your thoughts on this?

Since Microsoft is making a lot more profit from Android than Windows Phone, there is no real advantage for Microsoft to keep pushing Windows Phone, and this could mean that Microsoft is not very desperate to take on Android with Windows Phone too.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The ***** says Windows 8 is a marketplace failure....well it has a larger market share than all versions of Linux combined so what does that make Linux?

All versions of Linux AND Macs. Windows 8 is about 9% last time I saw. Macs are ~7% and Linux is ~1.5%

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Guyz, do not behave like FanDroids or IphonWorSheeps. We all do love Windows Phone, but let's look reality in the eye! 3 years of WP live and we got nothing. With all power Microsoft has, only 4% of market share? Don't you think there is something wrong with their deeds? As for me I think they don't give a f&&& about Windows Phone.

Its just a toy in the hands of big bosses. They asked their children to spend time , working on Windows Phone, rather that walking on the streets :) So that kids now playing the game "Lets make Windows Phone".

Where do you think they took tiles/metro idea? :)
Here is the proof.games for kids.jpg

:)

I use WP from the start. There was a time when I switched to iPhone again when Microsoft dropped support for WP7 devices. I told myself do not buy any new WP devices. But I gave in and bought a Windows Phone 8. Now we all waiting when WP will be king of the hill. Does Microsoft wait it too? I don't know.
They have to push harder.
They need to change the attitude to developers and gives them more freedom in SDK
Yet we do not need another bugdroid, but hell, if you don't know how to safely open some parts of system for other, hire good developers! Stop using children hands :)

Sorry if this post looks offending to someone, this is IMHO :)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Man this kind of reading is depressing.
Seems to me like every time I choose a device or OS it's the worst decision I could have made according to these editorial writers.

Who are the experts "me the happy content user" or the thousands of reviewer analysts that consistently trash anything that comes over the rise.
Don't these people want anyone to be happy with what they have?
The agenda to drive we who are happy in another direction is such a joke now days.

I feel there are no longer any "true negatives" only the downers created by the so-called tech community experts.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy with my Windows Phone. Anyone can write what they like but its the fastest growing phone platform around.

Microsoft will win more with Windows Phone than Android due to the ongoing app store income, developer tools income, brand reinforcement etc.

Yes, its easy for them to make money from Android but they'll make more if everyone had a Windows Phone.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Typical ZDNet excuse for tech. They hire the most irresponsible and technically dishonest bloggers on the planet. They can't possibly be this stupid to not understand you cannot use work product that belong to others for free. This is why this hybrid open source garbage is doomed to fail.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Typical ZDNet excuse for tech. They hire the most irresponsible and technically dishonest bloggers on the planet. They can't possibly be this stupid to not understand you cannot use work product that belong to others for free. This is why this hybrid open source garbage is doomed to fail.

Ed Bott and Mary Jo Foley are both great writers.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy with my Windows Phone. Anyone can write what they like but its the fastest growing phone platform around.

Microsoft will win more with Windows Phone than Android due to the ongoing app store income, developer tools income, brand reinforcement etc.

Yes, its easy for them to make money from Android but they'll make more if everyone had a Windows Phone.

Android earns MS 2bill$, n MS loses around 2.5 to 3 bill$ on xbox & bing. this is the reason elop wanted to kill them both. fastest growing yes, but look at the market share, its miniscule and ms is moving slowly, that said the android money is what shields MS from investors wrath on xbox etc so in a way good for us

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Google will make much more than Microsoft on Android.
Consider the following equation:
Net gain by Microsoft = Net income by Microsoft - Net income by Google.

Pay attention.
Google will earn more on Android because their services are there (plus, data mining, but I'm not really sure about that. Pun intended.). Net gain < 0.
For now, let's assume that Microsoft is making zero profit on both XBOX and Windows Phone. Despite the fact that they're not gaining any profit, there is still a Halo effect (pun intended) on these platforms. Add the fact that Google is making practically zero money on this platform (actually, less than zero once you consider the various YouTube apps in the store), and you get: Net gain > 0.

And, this is why Microsoft should really focus on WP. And Win8/RT.
And, focus on promoting their deep search.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
This is not likely to last, and I also have doubts that $2B is really correct.

Most of these patents relate to using various FAT filesystems and this is essential to guarantee USB mass storage compatibility with Windows computers. If you see Google's Nexus devices since the Nexus S, none of them use mass storage - they use MTP instead, which has no filesystem restrictions. Most newer devices and versions just emulate FAT with a directory on the regular UNIX filesystem, with a FUSE daemon to handle permissions. That means these devices don't pay royalties to MS.

OEMs like Samsung and HTC reconcile patent royalty payments with licensing fees for their WP devices, so there may be very little cash actually being paid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb