HTC 8X or Nokia Lumia 920?

bml203

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm new here :)

I'm looking into getting my first Windows phone. I'd love to get the HTC 8X, but there are a few things that bother me, the main one being the lack of support it seems to get compared to Lumia devices. Will I miss out on receiving important apps and updates if I don't get a Lumia device?

Unfortunately none of the Lumia devices are right for me, the closest is the 920 but it's just too chunky, unless you guys could persuade me otherwise!

Anyway, thanks a lot, your help will be appreciated :)

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome WP Central forums, Always nice to have new members join in, ask questions and post in the thread's. Have you checked out the device forums a good place to get information on the 920 Lumia.
Good Luck :smile:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking into getting my first Windows phone. I'd love to get the HTC 8X, but there are a few things that bother me, the main one being the lack of support it seems to get compared to Lumia devices. Will I miss out on receiving important apps and updates if I don't get a Lumia device?

HTC will release whatever firmware and OS updates that are necessary for the phone so no need to worry about that. It will get WP8.1 if that is what you are wondering. After that, who knows?

Unfortunately none of the Lumia devices are right for me, the closest is the 920 but it's just too chunky, unless you guys could persuade me otherwise!

Anyway, thanks a lot, your help will be appreciated :)

I own a L920. Yes it's a bit heavy and seemingly bulky but you get used to it. The thing is a brick but I don't mind.

The camera is amazing on the L920, the free Nokia apps are great to have. Nokia pushes the boundaries of WP OS which is both good and bad (a few issues with phones). The most unique experience you'll get on WP is from Nokia no other OEM puts as much effort in.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've used both. Bought the 920 on release day a year ago. It is a great phone with a great camera...plenty of good reviews to read about it online. I only found one negative with the 920: it is a bit bulky. Don't get me wrong, it's not that big of a deal, but honestly, if you are coming from a Samsung or iPhone, you are probably going to be put off by the shape and weight of the 920. Everything else about the phone is excellent. It really is a great phone. Over the past 3 months, I have been using an 8X as my primary phone. The design of this phone is absolutely amazing. Very easy to hold and use. Quite a bit less bulky compared to the 920. Camera is average for a smart phone...nothing like the 920's camera. I have to say that, overall, I'm finding it hard to go back to the 920 at the moment. A case is a must for this phone though..the rubber coating stains easily. The only things that convince me to keep the 920 around are its camera and the awesome support coming from Nokia...oh, and its build quality is unmatched. HTC support is pretty laughable. So, if you want a very attractive, easy to use, compact phone with a fairly good camera, then go with the 8X. On the other hand, if you want an equally looking, equally easy to use, somewhat bulky phone with an awesome camera and lots of support, then go with the 920. I think the 8Xs are going for around $150 US on Ebay right now. The 920s are around $200 US, I think. Good luck.

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
920 - Camera
8X - Stunning Design

I love my hTC very much despite the inferior camera and the lack of applications. The screen is about perfect size.

WinphonevietAgent

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
HTC 8x VS Nokia 920
Storage:
16Gb vs 32Gb
Screen:
Nothing vs Gorrila 2
Touch:
Normal vs super sensitive
Collections App:
Few vs Many
Support:
No vs Yes
Design:
Light vs heavy
Camera:
Normal vs Pureview, Low-light condition
1 vote for 920

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Since I own both, I will add in my two thoughts...

It boils down to what your needs are. The 8X is honestly for people who want a solid WP8 experience with a very good looking package. The 920 is for people who want an excellent photography experience, bigger screen and more storage.

8X over 920: weight, slimmer design profile, audio (Beats may be a gimmick for some, but the built in amp isn't - even when Beats is off the sound is still better), faster updates (especially if you have an unlocked model), better LCD panel (especially indoors), usually cheaper than 920.

920 over 8X: more storage space, built in Qi charging (that and the LCD added to the weight), vastly better camera, better secondary apps, better LCD panel in sunlight, better valued added firmware update (aka support).

Where are you willing to compromise? If you don't need all that storage space or aren't interested in the camera, the 8X will do. Quite frankly, while HTC hasn't been updating its WP8 apps at the pace as Nokia, it has been one of the first to release the OS updates. Lumia Black is coming next year. My 8X had Update 3 and it runs smoothly. I don't mind that my 920 runs Update 2, but the older multitasking is clunkier to use, frankly. 8X offers a great intro experience to WP8 in the high end bracket.

If you're in the US, go unlocked. Expansys USA. They have the 8X for $260 with shipping and the 920 for $315 with shipping. If you're on AT&T, you can get those models cheaper in the used marketplace and with the 920 you can flash a Rogers ROM to get faster support.

You cannot go wrong with either, but I'd suggest playing with both in an AT&T store to see what pops out for you better (some still have the 920 on display).

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
To those who own both, which one sounds better?

Edit: Sorry I didn't read the post above when I asked the question, which has been answered.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8x VS Nokia 920
Storage:
16Gb vs 32Gb
Screen:
Nothing vs Gorrila 2
Touch:
Normal vs super sensitive
Collections App:
Few vs Many
Support:
No vs Yes
Design:
Light vs heavy
Camera:
Normal vs Pureview, Low-light condition
1 vote for 920

Where did you pull that rubbish from?

8X has gorilla glass 2
the front facing camera is an ultra-wide F2.0 aperature and probably the best front facing camera on WP8
the rear camera is still superb but doesn't compare to the 920

support - I have found that even though HTC don't really support their WP8 range they do seem to receive the latest firmware first
Apps - Yes Nokia have the exclusive apps but majority of the apps that people wish to use are available for all

I do not have any regrets getting the 8X

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

8X has gorilla glass 2
the front facing camera is an ultra-wide F2.0 aperature and probably the best front facing camera on WP8

support - I have found that even though HTC don't really support their WP8 range they do seem to receive the latest firmware first
Apps - Yes Nokia have the exclusive apps but majority of the apps that people wish to use are available for all

People who like to knock Samsung and HTC seem to try to **** on the Ativ S and the 8X at every turn. HTC is a very good phone. In fact, I like more of the 8X's features than I do on the 920. Plus, if you look at the Nokia forums, they are littered with lemons people have gotten. Now, the 8X isn't problem free either - its lemon like issues are usually the SIM slot and the peeling off of the matter finish - but pretty much all the software bugs have been ironed out in Update 3.

Again, if you're balling on a budget and want the most balanced overall experience from the Gen 1 WP8s, the 8X is the way to go. If you need the camera, then the 920 is the get.

bml203

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks for the responses guys, this is a really difficult decision! I'm swaying towards the 8X still, it's a bit cheaper and I've actually heard good things about the camera.

Can I be certain it will continue to get updates such as Windows Phone 8.1?

PipoDj

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Sure will get the updates as i believe MS says they will support the device within 36 months or something like that. BUT go get the Lumia, man.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I had both, and I can suggest the 920, especially in terms of camera.

And all current "high end" WP8 devices are supposed to receive 8.1.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok thanks for the responses guys, this is a really difficult decision! I'm swaying towards the 8X still, it's a bit cheaper and I've actually heard good things about the camera.

Can I be certain it will continue to get updates such as Windows Phone 8.1?

It depends on what you plan to use the camera to do. The 8X is ok for those casual type shots. If you want something with much more versatility, the 920's camera makes up for the weight and other cons.

It will get 8.1. It was the one of the two official flagship phones when WP8 was launched (other is the 920).

WinphonevietAgent

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

8X has gorilla glass 2

Sorry dude, my mistake.
Yes, i forgot about front cam.
But the GDR3 update for 8X, it is not from HTC, it is from Microsoft. Lumia GDR3 update is Nokia Black( or Nokia Bittersweet Shimmer). And it is released by Nokia, not by HTC. Just like the Amber. So Nokia: 1, HTC: 0

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I would like to add that
  • 8X: Beats do work especially when you use high quality headphones
  • 920: There are many great lumia~photography apps

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
dolby on 920

Which ain't worth a damn. Actually, the Dolby on the HTC WP7 devices is still better than anything on Nokia's WP8. People like to **** on Beats, but audio overall is a weakness on WP8.

The 8X has a built in amp that does make a difference...kinda like how having OIS makes a difference in the camera for the 920...

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
And for those who are saying that HTC doesn't release any other updates besides the ones that are required, all the major updates (GDR1-3) have had at least one HTC update to go along with it. They seem to hate annoying its users with all these updates sporadically being handed out, so they just wait for the big updates to dish them out. Obviously nothing like Amber or Bittersweet Shimmer, but the support is there because they are releasing their own updates as well.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And for those who are saying that HTC doesn't release any other updates besides the ones that are required, all the major updates (GDR1-3) have had at least one HTC update to go along with it. They seem to hate annoying its users with all these updates sporadically being handed out, so they just wait for the big updates to dish them out. Obviously nothing like Amber or Bittersweet Shimmer, but the support is there because they are releasing their own updates as well.

while nothing like Amber and stuff, does HTC push out any extra features unique to their phones?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa