Auto switch to 3G for packet data access and back to 2G when done - OS feature request

mike_msfan

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi to all . A frequent visitor of this site and Windows Phone ******. Would love to know what you think of this OS feature.

Its something most of us do manually anyway to get the best of battery life and packet data speeds. What if this feature was integrated into the OS itself so that if enabled by an option our Windows Phones would be in 2G always and auto switch to 3G for live tile update/sync/upload/download/or any packet data access and back to 2G automatically when done. Do vote for it if you would love to see it on Windows Phone. Lets make this the best phone OS ever.

Vote here or copy paste the following URL

Option for auto switch to 3G for packet data use and back to 2G automatically – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

thanks a million for the support. More ideas coming. I Love Windows Phone.

Checki

Banned
Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
uhm...thats quite useless.
you are always connected if you use whatsapp/facebook/...or do i understand the pushservice wrong?
Anyway...dont think that will save much battery. Plus you have to wait to establish the 3G connection always before you want to download, send msg, sync mail.......

mike_msfan

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
you are always connected if you use whatsapp/facebook/...or do i understand the pushservice wrong?
Anyway...dont think that will save much battery. Plus you have to wait to establish the 3G connection always before you want to download, send msg, sync mail.......

Thanks for the participation....and its no quiet so Checki :) First of all thats what I meant when i said as an option... aka for those who want to... and believe me..... there are many.
And though you did not get push service wrong, but there is a difference between keeping the connection alive for a push service and transferring data. A 2G/GPRS radio will be ample for the purpose of keeping the connection alive for the pushservice while 3G/4G will be the best to actually transfer the data... This is why i said it needs deep integration with OS and not as a superficial thing. The power consumption between 2G/ 3G is huge and saying it wont save battery will be plain Ignorance. Some of the basic specs for any phone mentioned is Stand By Time and Talk Time and its always individually mentioned for 2G/3G/4G with 2G being the least power hungry by a good margin(Unfortunately.. with Generations progressing wish it was the other way around).

So if the OS could automatically/Dynamically keep the phone in the Lowest G most of the time while switching to higher ones temporarily for DATA transfer and it will translate to better battery life.... more so in the Stand By/Connected Stand By time ranges...... No doubt about that.

mike_msfan

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
That would make it easier and adding to that would being able to swap 3G to 4G as well.
Thanks a log BIGPADDY for the support. What you said is absolutely right. Actually it must be a deep OS integrated thing where the OS dynamically switches between the Least power consuming 2G to the best speed 3G/4G may be also taking the current battery level into account while doing so.
All the way from Symbian to Android we can see the 2G/3G toggle as a quick setting or widget and more importantly when the phone enters the battery saver mode it default to 2G automatically as its the best bet the stretch with the little remaining power.

mike_msfan

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site

Also all the way from Symbian to Android we can see the 2G/3G toggle button as a quick setting or widget and it wouldn't be there if people dint need it or use it. And more importantly when a phone enters the battery saver mode it default to 2G automatically as its the best bet the stretch with the little remaining power. Im sure you agree with these observations... My suggestion is plainly to make the OS intelligently automate this process as a contribution among many others to reduce power consumption even if by a small fraction. Heard of the Bosch Stop-Start for Internal combustion engines( Start-stop system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )... little things add up buddy...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs